RE0? TF10? RE252? Fischer Audio?
Jan 3, 2010 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
You know, choices are annoying you see.....

I'm thinking of potentially upgrading my earphones from my JVC FX-500's.
What I want is the most balanced sound possible but of course sound quality comes first.

I can use this with a Fiio E5 as well to maximise the potential of the earphone if needed.

Any good comparisons?
I'm thinking RE0 amped but not totally sure.

I am more than likely aware that none of them could match the FX500's bass.
I can tip experiment as well if needed.
In terms of piority it's mids, bass then treble for me tbh.
I listen to everything.
I have read up on Clie's reviews but I'm still not sure.

My max is $200 and prefer bass extension over mid-bass hump (which concerned me about the TF10) and decent well-rounded soundstage with depth (a thing the concerns me about the RE252).

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 14
I really like my set of RE0's. They were a little bright at first but after 3months of use, they are perfect now. I prefer the re0s over the tf10s. but then again, i like the stock amp3 PAA-I buds over both...

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 14
I just got my RE0s and I can tell you they go deep. The bass may not be too strong without an amp (I find it more than adequate unamped). I was able to hear 50-60Hz tones without straining too much. Soundstage is a noticeable improvement over my shures, but not what you may want.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 14
I have the fx500 and re0. After listening to my fx500, my re0 sounds lifeless and dull. I was just noticing this difference today, and then saw your post! Seriously, the fx500 sounds vastly better to my ears. Both phones have somewhere around 50 hours combined burn in and ear time. I a/b'd them from ipod touch -> fiio e1 -> phone. I find the fx500 to have an exceptional organic sound. I know the re0's have a wide frequency response, and a reputation for detail and all that, but to me they sound sort of like AM radio, at least right after hearing the fx500s.

I have not heard the tf10s.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 14
I have the TF10's and until recently had the Re0's - I gave them to my brother as a Christmas gift. Honestly, I'm torn about having gotten rid of the Re0's and may look to buy another pair in the future. . .

Comparing those two, I'm still amazed at the detail of the Re0's - and the midrange is much improved over the TF10 (smooth and detailed). The high's are pretty similar between the two iem's. The TF10's have more bass quantity than the Re0's - but perhaps not more bass accuracy. I'm not a basshead, so I was satisfied with the Re0's in this regard.

The TF10's clearly win in soundstaging and instrument separation. For the first time, I found myself turning my head in IEM's to try to react to sounds around me. I also feel I can more accurately determine where instruments are meant to be placed.

In my opinion - these are both great phones that complement each other, and in the end, the best choice will depend on your preferred sound signature. If you love your mids, then the Reo's should be preferred. If you care more about bass quantity and soundstaging - then you should look at the TF10's.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 14
RE-0 if you want a balanced neutral sound, RE-252 if you want a more fun representation, tf-10 if you have large earholes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 14
I would recommend the RE 1 .They are best in sound.Hi Chinesekiwi u can test my RE1 if ur making it o the NZ meet.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 14
You want accuracy or fun?
Fun iems aren't accurate and accurate iems aren't fun.

Which Genres you're mainly listening to?

Most people compare IEMs that are of different breeds for different purposes and expect the same experience.

If you can take a listen, try the Fischer Audio's Silver bullet -
Silky smooth mids, good ample bass but highs aren't that great.

They're designed to be fairly accurate, but mainly fun.
Could be what you're looking for because the sound stage is fairly large.
However you'd need alot of power to drive these, my Fuze was on max volume just to get it to sing. And the best part, until I've used the Maverick D1 that I truly heard its potential when you give it enough power.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 14
I only have the TripleFis, so I won't comment on the rest but I will say this: the TF10 lack nothing in bass extension to my ears. I don't know if I've ever heard a 10Hz tone, but I've listened to a few frequency sweeps starting at 20Hz and the TF10s have no problem producing the 20Hz tone what-so-ever. If you're worried about the mid-bass, I would just say EQ it down a notch or two. I think the sound stage is great in terms of depth and imaging.

That said, while I feel the mids on the TripleFis are adequate, they do leave something to be desired. You really ought to see if you can audition a pair, as you may or may not like the sound signature and the fit can definitely be problematic. The price is great as long as they fit AND you like 'em.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 14
What surprises me is that there is some hesitation in your choice between the RE0's and the RE252's, owning I think to initially mixed reviews from people expecting the RE252s to be outright RE0 killers. They aren't, but they are in my opinion better overall - ff mids and bass are your first two priorities, I really recommend RE252 over the RE0's, and especially if you are running unamped. As other reviews have pointed out, the RE252 has a better soundstage than the RE0, at least horizontally. Instrument seperation is better on the RE0, but tbh owning both, I don't use the RE0's much anymore - they sound unnaturally thin now in comparison.

The RE252 sounds much more balanced to my ears (I use Sony Hybrid tips), with much more substance in the bass and mids, while the RE0's highs and detail seem a bit like a novelty in comparison.

That said, don't expect deep bass out of either without EQing. The bass extension is there, but the quantity isn't.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloLoco /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The TF10's clearly win in soundstaging and instrument separation. For the first time, I found myself turning my head in IEM's to try to react to sounds around me. I also feel I can more accurately determine where instruments are meant to be placed.

In my opinion - these are both great phones that complement each other, and in the end, the best choice will depend on your preferred sound signature. If you love your mids, then the Reo's should be preferred. If you care more about bass quantity and soundstaging - then you should look at the TF10's.

I agree that TF10 and RE0 compliment each other well and plan on keeping both. The TF10 are pretty boomy unless you use the included attenuator, but then amping is probably necessary. Don't know if your E1 will be enough, although my cheap cmoyBB is adequate. I actually like the soundstage of my RE0, but its a different presentation than the TF10, and actually prefer the instrument separation on the RE0. YMMV, of course.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 14
I will say this, due to the design of the RE252, seal and fitting are some issues. For, that reason, until I find a way to get a better seal and fit, I prefer the RE0. However, the Re252 sounds just as good as the RE0, less detail, slightly more bass, still very neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back