RE0, RE1, or RE2
Jan 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Gage

Head-Fier
Hey guys, which one will sound best with my Ipod Classic?

I noticed on HD's site, RE0 and RE1 are the same price, how come?

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 26
Different sounds. I've only heard the RE0, which is very flat except for a dip in the mids. Detail is great and voices sound natural, but cold. Bass is a tad sloppy unamped.

The RE1 reviews note strong bass and mids, with rolled off highs. The two phones appear to be like complements rather than upgrades.

You'd probably enjoy the RE1, but their high impedance are unsuitable for your iPod. At 150 ohms, no DAP puts out enough power to drive these well, although they are relatively sensitive.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 26
For unamped use RE0 blows RE1 away. No contest. Get the RE0!

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 26
I have the RE1 and I have heard a RE0 for a few minutes. First off they are both very different phones. Both look similar, have a neutral sound and both isolate about the same. However the similarities end there.

The RE1s have a more forward midrange while the RE0s have a slightly recessed midrange. The bass of the RE1s have a little more impact than the RE0s but to be honest neither are going to satisfy any bass head. The treble is the main differentiator as the RE1s have a smooth treble which lacks extension and crispness and hence does not present lots of details in the music. The RE0s however has awesome treble. I have not heard such lovely treble ever !

It had great extension and had crispness and details without ANY sibilance. And yes the RE1s require an amp. Without an amp they just dont sound very good. With an amp the RE1s has one of the widest soundstage you are going to get out of an IEM.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 26
Well, I mean, the bass is there, it is just tamed. With a slight bass boost (I am using + 5 mach3bass and bbe 4 on a Cowon player), the bass comes out very nicely. And yes, the soundstage is quite amazing. I wonder if it is not even better than my IE8!
I tried them on an old Technics CD player with "bass boost" feature, ampless, and the result is very very good. The bass is definately there.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The RE1s have a more forward midrange while the RE0s have a slightly recessed midrange.

Sorry if i sound like a total nub here, can you or someone explain or describe what is means to have a forward and recessed midrange. I have read this about the RE0 and RE1 and i don't really understand.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vochiogi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if i sound like a total nub here, can you or someone explain or describe what is means to have a forward and recessed midrange. I have read this about the RE0 and RE1 and i don't really understand.

If a pair of IEMs have a recessed midrange, that means the mids in a song are less prominent than the higher and lower pitched parts. Forward midrange is sort of the opposite. Vocals fall into the mids category, bass in the lows category. IEMs that have a neutral/balanced/flat sound might have actually slightly recessed mids because the human ear is apparently already more attuned to the midrange. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of that - I'm a noob too.

Do the RE0 and RE1 have more isolation than the RE2? Or are they all about the same?

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 26
How much for a suitable portable amp? doesn't need to be of great quality or anything, just needs to put out enough power for the RE1's

That said, I think the RE0 is what I am looking for, a more crisp sounding phone, with a natural amount of bass.

I came to a conclusion on my other post for basshead earphones my Skull Candy FMJ's were really good enough, so now I am looking for a well balanced earphone, as I am not always in the mood for bass.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Photofan1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I mean, the bass is there, it is just tamed. With a slight bass boost (I am using + 5 mach3bass and bbe 4 on a Cowon player), the bass comes out very nicely. And yes, the soundstage is quite amazing. I wonder if it is not even better than my IE8!
I tried them on an old Technics CD player with "bass boost" feature, ampless, and the result is very very good. The bass is definately there.

are you talking about the RE0 or RE1?
bigsmile_face.gif

I assume both RE1 and RE0 blow the RE2 out of the water and onto the moon eh? (yaya, I'm Canadian
tongue.gif
)

as long as I can hear the bass, it doesn't matter, I just don't want a bassless IEM, Balanced is nice, would you guys say the RE0 is well balanced? or are bass and mids to recessed, I don't want overly recessed mids either.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 26
RE0 is a top tier IEM, SQ-wise, which is on a massive-crazy great sale since this past summer. That's why RE0 = RE1 price.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as long as I can hear the bass, it doesn't matter, I just don't want a bassless IEM, Balanced is nice, would you guys say the RE0 is well balanced? or are bass and mids to recessed, I don't want overly recessed mids either.

It's definitely not lacking in bass, it just won't satisfy a bass-head. Yes, it's very well balanced, with slightly recessed mids (IMO the weakest part of the RE0, but that would probably change amped).

If that's your opinion on bass the RE0 is probably a good fit for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alraike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the RE0 and RE1 have more isolation than the RE2? Or are they all about the same?

The RE0 should have the best isolation. IIRC, the other two are semi-open designs.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 26
Well the RE0s have less bass than the RE1s (from memory) as I was sorely dissappointed with the bass from the RE0s when I heard them first (I am a bit of a bass head, so do keep that in mind).

Also the RE1s were also $139 when they were launched so they too were competing with the RE0s in price.

At a minimum, I believe you need to get a good CMOY amp ($60 and above) to drive the RE1s well.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 26
Could anyone estimate the SQ level equivalent any of these might have to full-sized headphones? Might the RE2 be about on par with a PortaPro, Sony V6, or SR60?

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 26
Geez IEM's are difficult lol

Now I am undecided, whether to go for RE0 or Nuforce NE6/7m. There are a couple people saying that the nuforce beat any sub $100-150 IEM on the market, and it got me thinking.

SO...

RE0 or NE6/7m (I hear the NE8 is much to bass light for metal)

opinions on sound quality would be great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back