RE0 Isolation
Aug 31, 2009 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I have a question regarding the isolation of RE0's. The stock tips aren't isolating, but they are compatible with isolating tips like Comply foamies.

RE0's use dynamic drivers, and AFAIK, dynamic driver canalphones aren't meant to isolate, ie, it negatively impacts SQ. Eg, some models (V-Moda vibes I think) have a little hole in the barrel to ensure that sound leaks through. The same way, balanced armatures require a seal, and if a tight seal is not achieved, you get a much rolled off lower end response.

So has anybody used RE0's (or RE1/2/3) with isolating tips, and if so, how do they sound, and how well does it isolate?

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't know what you're referring to as "tips that aren't isolating" because pretty much all tips are meant to isolate. What varies is the amount of isolation you achieve, but this also depends greatly on your ears (I.e. the seal).

The RE0's do indeed have those little holes in the back (they are called ports) but I don't find them lacking in isolation with the biflange tips. I'd say they are above average, on-par with most Shures. I find the isolation perfectly reasonable for my daily bus ride.

You can indeed use them with comply T400 tips, but I would recommend that you don't because it negatively impacts the upper-end detail. I'd also say that the complys isolate at most 15% more than the stock biflanges.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Unlike RE1 and RE2 (which are semi-opened), the little vents on the back of RE0 don't leak (or let in) much sound. RE0 is meant to be fully closed.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Basically, you remove the inner plastic tube (core) from the Shure olive tip and replace it with a tube/core removed from a T-400. I don't have time to look for it, but do a search for olive modification in this forum. There's a thread (or threads) that will explain how to 'de-core' the tips. It's really not that difficult to do.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 11
I wish I had some extra olives lying around that I would feel comfortable with de-coring. The only pair I have are sitting on my Shures and I would have to find something to use for them.

I use the comply t-400 with my RE0's and the isolation and fit is very nice. It's a little awkward going behind the ear with the re0 but it drastically reduces microphonics and I get a less-obstructed path to my ear canal.

At pretty high volume, people sitting close to me can't hear my re0's if I have them in my ears. Isolation is not something you should be too worried about as long as you have a proper seal (which is beneficial with the re0 anyhow)

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The abovementioned thread is here. Mark goes into the most detailed description of de-coring the olives found on the forum.

really? well how kind of you to say so

anyway i should id ive never felt the need to then add on a core from a T400. i just put the raw olive on the stem and in snugly seals itself. they are on secure enough for it not to be a problem. its what in my ears now

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't care for the Comply tips with my RE0 -- my ear canal is smaller and the tip gets crumpled and it blocks/muffles the sound.

I'm currently using the black silicone/rubber tips that used to come with the Shure E2c, which has a larger sound barrel/nozzle than the rest of the Shure EXc/SExx line. I get very good isolation with them.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyway i should id ive never felt the need to then add on a core from a T400. i just put the raw olive on the stem and in snugly seals itself. they are on secure enough for it not to be a problem. its what in my ears now

The reason I added the T-400 core is I was using small olives (bought for my wife) and needed something to keep the de-cored olives sized up enough to seal my ears. The added benefit I've found is the T-400 core keeps the channel very wide for unimpeded open sound delivery.

...I should add, among the stock tips I found the medium silicon tips sounded best because the nozzle is placed fairly forward. But they were uncomfortable. The flanges were somewhat more comfortable, but the recessed placement of the nozzle to my hearing negatively impacted the SQ compared to the silicons. The modded olives with the T-400 cores provide both comfort and the more forward presentation/delivery of sound. Of course, this is all personal taste. Other's MMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back