re0 fakes?
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elk0019

Head-Fier
does anybody know if there's any fake re0's around?

i read in a re0 review that head direct is an importer of quality Chinese audio gear, and i recently bought a pair off ebay and the boxing is completely different from the one found in the review and has chinese writings on it

i'm not particularly worried about it but even the wires seem to be different

on the review the wires seem to be made of a more plastic, rubery substance
but on a google image i found the wire is a bit.. i dunno how to describe it so i'll place a few links

this is the review i read

bought re0 from ebay here

a foto i found on google that shows a different wireing from the one in the review

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 9
It looks authentic to me. The only thing that looks strange is the white colored bi-flange. Though that is a trivial matter.

Most fakes are made from the more popular low-mid end headphones that are more "fashionable".

I just got mine last week and they have the same cloth-covered cable pictured in the auction.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 9
The eBay seller 'Head-Director' is the account of Head-Direct / HifiMan (the original manufacturer). I don't think they want to sell fake of their own products.

Also, Head-Direct announced this a while ago:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From this week, our RE2 and RE0 cable has been upgraded. The packing boxes were changed from leather box to regular box as well. Will post pics tomorrow.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 9
The google picture is correct. I got mine from Head-Direct and the cable is kind of woven, not rubber or plastic, it has crosshatching like in the google picture.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The google picture is correct. I got mine from Head-Direct and the cable is kind of woven, not rubber or plastic, it has crosshatching like in the google picture.

this is what i thought... however the picture on ebay looks like solid plastic... sorta like the prepro RE0 that i've seen in, i think, ClieOS's review.

perhaps it's an old image..? OR, it's just not zoomed in enough to see the detail.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is what i thought... however the picture on ebay looks like solid plastic... sorta like the prepro RE0 that i've seen in, i think, ClieOS's review.

perhaps it's an old image..? OR, it's just not zoomed in enough to see the detail.

It's hard to tell from the terrible image quality. I think it looks like textured fabric coated cable.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's just an old image. Don't worry you don't have a fake.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 9
I think the changes are good things. The leather box was...not useful. It added to pricing that didn't aid normal use of the product. The rubbery wiring felt neat but had a lot of microphonics. The woven design I assume is considerably better, plus there's now a clip to attack to your shirt to also reduce microphonics. Although it's not mentioned, I'm curious if a carrying pouch was added or not. It's one thing I felt it really needed, although maybe it's assumed a lot of folks have some lying around or prefer to buy (cheaply) something of their own preferred design.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the changes are good things. The leather box was...not useful. It added to pricing that didn't aid normal use of the product. The rubbery wiring felt neat but had a lot of microphonics. The woven design I assume is considerably better, plus there's now a clip to attack to your shirt to also reduce microphonics. Although it's not mentioned, I'm curious if a carrying pouch was added or not. It's one thing I felt it really needed, although maybe it's assumed a lot of folks have some lying around or prefer to buy (cheaply) something of their own preferred design.

Just got mine in today. No pouch, but it did come with two cheap zip-loc style plastic bags (one for the headphone box itself and the other for tips and such).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back