RE0 Alternatives
Feb 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Evoke

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I am currently looking into the RE0 as I gave my NE-6 to my brother.
I was wondering if there are any other IEM which are comparable to the SQ of the IEM(Doesn't matter if it's slightly more expensive).

Btw, how do the Etymotics HF5 compares to RE0?

Thanks for the inputs.
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 17
RE0>HF5 not really much to compete at the price, some are praising the panasonic HJE900 at about 110 dollars. I have not heard them, long thread with the panasoic head to head against the CK10 and the monster tubinee pro gold can be found here
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/c...o-gold-473075/

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0>HF5 not really much to compete at the price, some are praising the panasonic HJE900 at about 110 dollars. I have not heard them, long thread with the panasoic head to head against the CK10 and the monster tubinee pro gold can be found here
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/c...o-gold-473075/

HJE900 sounds interesting but I would have to import them in.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 17
HF5s have greater isolation and are smaller so possibly more comfortable, but have bad microphonics. As for SQ I've never seen a head-to-head, but I believe that the HF5s are very similar to the ER4P and thus are certainly not far off in clarity (some believe the ER4 and HF series use the same driver, although I have been told otherwise by d_wilson).

RE0s are cheaper though!

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 17
I have both and prefer the RE0 overall. I prefer the high extension and sparkle of RE0, although some argue that the clarity of HF5 is better. To me, this seems to be a upper mid-forward thing on the HF5. HF5 are a bit warmer, too. I have finally got the RE0 where I want them, bass-wise. However, I am using an amp and impedance on RE0. I still enjoy my HF5 and use them mostly at work, where the isolation is more important.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 17
ER4P, CK10 if you can find it. Both are upgrades but should land you a similar sound signature.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOTHING. This is coming from a former ER-4P owner who much prefers the RE0!

opposite for me...considering selling my RE0.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 17
We all hear differently...I really couldn't get over the lack of bass on the ER-4Ps.

Can you agree that these are the two worst IEMs for microphonics?

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 17
ER4 is definitely comparable to RE0 and surpasses it in some areas, like speed clarity and precision. Also, Q-jays have better bass than RE0 and are quite close in the mids and treble. For the current price of $79 US though, RE0 is an undisputed leader in price/performance among all IEMs and maybe even among all headphones regardless of type.

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER4 is definitely comparable to RE0 and surpasses it in some areas, like speed clarity and precision. Also, Q-jays have better bass than RE0 and are quite close in the mids and treble. For the current price of $79 US though, RE0 is an undisputed leader in price/performance among all IEMs and maybe even among all headphones regardless of type.

Well said. There are headphones that compare to the RE0 in one way or another but the only clear upgrade for me was the CK10. When I had the RE0 I occasionally preferred the Phonak PFEs or Ety ER-4S to them. But the things that the RE0 does well it does as well as any other phone on the market and usually at a fraction of the price.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all hear differently...I really couldn't get over the lack of bass on the ER-4Ps.

Can you agree that these are the two worst IEMs for microphonics?

I use my XM5 w/ the bass boost for ER4P(except for some Electronic music), along with +75 Ohms.

Microphonics is never a big issue to me,if I am bothered I simply route the cable over my ear.

The PFE and ER4 still battle it out and both have pro & con.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 17
If you're looking at a price/performance ratio, I think the RE0 is the be all end all, no competition at all. If price is not an issue, look into the CK10.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evoke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. I am currently looking into the RE0 as I gave my NE-6 to my brother.

I have the the RE0 and the NE-7M, which is the same as your NE-6 just without the iPhone mic built in.

One thing I miss from the NE7M is the bass. It wasn't the best bass but the RE0 does lack bass.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumLock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the the RE0 and the NE-7M, which is the same as your NE-6 just without the iPhone mic built in.

One thing I miss from the NE7M is the bass. It wasn't the best bass but the RE0 does lack bass.

if u pair it with the right DAP the whole it lacks bass argument goes out the window...yes it might not be as boomy as the Hippo VB but there is plenty of deep hard hitting bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back