RE-ZERO or SE215, which one is best for my music?
Nov 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jackstick

New Head-Fier
I would really appreciate some advice here, because this is the first time I'm buying a "serious" pair of earphones, and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

A large portion of the music (almost all of it is FLAC) on my Sansa Clip Zip is J-rock/J-pop, the sort of music you'll hear in anime.  This is an example of that sort of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkNE8FkvZJA

However I also listen to rock and rap.

Neutrality is very important to me.  I want to hear the music how the artist intended, but I'll allow some wiggle-room here.  A little more bass-emphasis is not a dealbreaker.

Vocals are also important.  My budget is around $100, so I'm not expecting anything magical, but ideally I'd like to feel like I'm right next to the singer, hearing every detail of their voice.

I know some people don't like a central soundstage, but I think it's ideal.  I want the music to be IN my head, not 5 or 10 feet in front of me.  However, I still want to be able to distinguish between instruments and such.

I've narrowed it down to RE-ZERO and Shure's SE-215.

I've read a lot about the RE0 and RE-ZERO, and due to the stupid naming-scheme I'm having a hard time remembering specifically what I read about either one.   However, I remember hearing that one of them (RE0 or RE-ZERO) can have some sharp treble.  I don't like ear-piercing S-sounds, so I'm hoping the treble is a little bit softer in the RE-ZEROs.  Can anyone comment on that?

I've heard good and bad about the SE-215, but not enough either way to help me make a decision.  What is the soundstage like on the SE-215?  Is it going to feel like the music is in my head?  Is the bass overly-emphasized?  Are the vocals clear and detailed?  Overall, are they netural-sounding earphones?

Of course, feel free to recommend something else.  But basically I just want to make sure that I'm getting the most out of my money, and I want the music to sound comfortable and neutral, without sounding too veiled or too sharp.

(sorry if my terminology is weird, I'm still working on that)

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 8
RE0 are very neutral with extended highs and overall sound is not overly sharp. The RE-ZERO are more on balanced side without extended highs as RE0 and still compeletly neutral with good mids n better bass response.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, I'm okay with a little extra weight if it means having better sound.  I just wish I could find a straight adapter, so I don't have two 90degree angles in my wire. -_-

Has anyone here used both RE-ZERO and SE215?  I'd really like to read some compare/contrast.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Remember the RE's have no bass to speak off and require a lot of eq down there just to give an average flat response. The sound is uncoloured but the massive detail in the highs can give the impression of forwardness i found. They need a fair bit of mental burn-in before youll accept them fully.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Remember the RE's have no bass to speak off and require a lot of eq down there just to give an average flat response. The sound is uncoloured but the massive detail in the highs can give the impression of forwardness i found. They need a fair bit of mental burn-in before youll accept them fully.

Lol the Zero has plenty of bass, it actually has a bit more than flat. Sounds like you got a poor fit, these like a deep insertion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back