re: iPhone 4/3Gs headphones
Aug 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey gang.  Does anyone know if there are any headphones with the iPhone 3Gs/4 built-in mic/clicker/volume control doodad that are cheap enough to cannibalize?  I just got an iPhone 4, and I discovered sadly that the cable on the included 'buds isn't long enough to be useful.  I've searched high and low on eBay, and I've found tons of examples of the old mic/clicker buds, but I'd really like to find a pair that also has the newer volume control, and there just don't seem to be any there, at least not that I could find.  I've found some at the Apple Store that had the attachment, but they were all pretty expensive, and considering what I want to do is to slap some KSC35 drivers on there, it seems kind of overkill to buy a 99-dollar pair of half-decent IEMs to do it.  Worse comes to worse, what I'm thinking of doing is splicing the KSC35s onto the existing buds' cable, but it's going to look kind of awkward if I have to do that, not to mention it won't be as secure.

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Auditioned at ALO Audio (Headphone shop) in Portland Oregon. They sounded quite good with my iphone 3G. Come with control and everything and are Apple certified too. (according to the label)
Price tag $65 or so (can't be sure though).
I am not sure if they are still available or not. But I saw them on ebay as well.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, but I really don't need good ones.  I just need ones that are cheap which I can cannibalize for another set of 'phones.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 7
If you're a really good diy person, talk to monster or v-moda to get their control talk cable (thats what its called for beats studio and solo - not sure about v-moda's name) and hopefully they wont charge an insane amount for it.

That cable would be a 3.5mm - 3.5mm interconnect basically so it would need a lot of work

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Then your best bet is  wallmart they sell cheap stuff there

They do indeed.  Alas, not the kind of cheap stuff that I need, unless you've seen a pair that fits my description there recently that I missed? 

Quote:
If you're a really good diy person, talk to monster or v-moda to get their control talk cable (thats what its called for beats studio and solo - not sure about v-moda's name) and hopefully they wont charge an insane amount for it.

That cable would be a 3.5mm - 3.5mm interconnect basically so it would need a lot of work

Actually DIY was the whole point.  I suppose it's worth a try to ask around and see if anyone will sell me just the cable.  Somehow I doubt it; I've tried things like this before. 

I have managed to find this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200513219510#ht_1515wt_913, which is *exactly* the type of thing I'm searching for.  THough if it's an exact clone of the iPhone version, the cable will still not be long enough.  I've contacted the seller; hopefully I'll hear back and it'll work out.  If not, I'll have to try Klipsch or somesuch. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back