Re-gluing tube bases
Jan 31, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 6
One of my amps uses KT66s and they sometimes develop lose bases. I just float a thin bead of superglue (whatever make is to hand) around the junction of base and glass. Seems to work fine.

Sorry I have never heard of your special product so can’t comment. It seems like a lot of fuss though and I don’t like the idea of rotating the glass envelope against the base a few times (step 5 I think) as this would risk fracturing the connecting wires.

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my amps uses KT66s and they sometimes develop lose bases. I just float a thin bead of superglue (whatever make is to hand) around the junction of base and glass. Seems to work fine.

Sorry I have never heard of your special product so can’t comment. It seems like a lot of fuss though and I don’t like the idea of rotating the glass envelope against the base a few times (step 5 I think) as this would risk fracturing the connecting wires.

The concern I have about superglue is I heard it doesn't have a similar coefficient of expansion as the glass, which can cause thermal shock. But the special glue does look too involved. The hi temp RTV silicone looks like a good idea but it looks too conspicuous.

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 6
I take your point about expansion coefficients, though I rather doubt if the bakelite base or whatever glue that was used originaly have similar coefficients either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back