Re-cableing as an upgrade?
Mar 18, 2010 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hagatha

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

In several post I've read references to re-cabling a quality set of cans as kind of an upgrade?

Is this a DIY thing or is there an aftermarket selection?

hagatha

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 15
It can be easily done DIY. There are also people that will do it (but pricing is typically extremely high).

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 15
Some headphones (AKG K-702; Sennheiser HD580,600,650,800; etc.) have detachable cables. As such, it's relatively simple to find an upgrade or replacement. Headroom have some, I'm sure. Other headphones have a more difficult process, you'd have to take them apart, and solder a new cord to the drivers. I'm pretty sure most of the headphile modifications involve this.

It's really not too difficult (I'd say) to do it yourself, though. There will likely be a disassembly guide and maybe a recable guide for your headphone, if it's popular.

So in reality, my answer is a "both" or a "depends" depending on how your read the situation. Whether or not such a change is an upgrade or not is up to you. People have argued either way, and I've not tried it myself, so more I cannot say.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be easily done DIY. There are also people that will do it (but pricing is typically extremely high).

what he said ^_^ you could also post in f/s for it to be done
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 15
I think you should spend the money on your source, transport, and amp first. When your satisfied with those then move on to tweaks such as recabling your cans. Having a better transport, source, and amp will get you a better quality of sound for your money than a recable. If you know how to solder it isnt to bad unless you damage the speaker when soldering on the connection.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Go to a meet and check out a some recabled cans. I know at the Seattle area meets they are always some to audition. Never know for sure if it is an upgrade until you listen to it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Go to a meet and check out a some recabled cans. I know at the Seattle area meets they are always some to audition. Never know for sure if it is an upgrade until you listen to it.

Wise words. I think it is a upgrade in a lot of instances, but to the level of interconnects, power cords, isolation feet etc. There is a lot of things I would consider more important, not that those things dont make a difference. If you go balanced than naturally a recable is in order.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 15
Don't get me started on cables. Done too much R and D on my rigs. IC's, Power Cables, Headphone Cables. The only thing I haven't made are Digital Cables. Don't need them yet.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Don't get me started on cables

or fuses

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 15
LOL. Almost forgot.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 15
I've tried a few and found no difference. I'd only "upgrade" a broken or damaged cable in need of replacement.

Otherwise, your money is better put towards better recordings, an amp or another pair of headphones.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 15
Great feed back everyone... I know that cableing is an option... I agree the source and amp are probably the priority right now...

I've got what I consider a good set of speaker, Logitech Z5500 5.1, and a set of 4 JBL bookshelf speakers... the room is small about 12x12... and the nice thing is I have large rugs hanging on opposite walls of the room. They do wonders for the soundstage in the room.

Now with the computer I have now, (see signature) a good Denon USB turntable, Would I benefit more from a headphone amp or a Receiver, and run my speakers and headphone from it. using the turntable and sound card as a source???

Thanks again for all the great feedback!
hagatha

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 15
I would think you'd only need a receiver if you have need of multiple inputs and/or multiple outputs. Maybe if you need some decoding for surround sound.

If you get a headphone amp with a pre-amp, you can then get a power amp later, and have a really great sounding system. At least in theory that is how it should work.

Edit: a receiver would probably have a DAC, and that might be better than the one in your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back