Re-cable question
Jul 21, 2006 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ToneDeath

Head-Fier
I've got an older pair of Sennheiser HD545 (600 ohm version) headphones. They still sound as they did when I purchased them new many years ago. The only thing I've ever done was to change the ear pads. What benefit if any is there to re-cable them and what’s involved? I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun and would like to attempt it on my own.

TD

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToneDeath
What benefit if any is there to re-cable them and what’s involved? I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun and would like to attempt it on my own.

Depends on how easy/difficult to open these phones and reach the drivers terminals (where the wires are soldered onto). Second task is to figure which of the terminals are for signal and ground. Once you have done these (and prepared the necessary recabling materials), you are good to go.

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 6
1st off listen to a pair of headphones with and without a recable - It may not be for you. For me its Night and Day difference.
2nd talk to someone who has done it. You arent doing anything new, ask for advice from someone who has done it see if they can give you some tips.
3rd The materials are very important. Its the type of cable that matters too, and they all sound different to me. Lets not forget connectors. Ive tried many different cables, and they all sound different to me.
4th If you DO have the materials, do you think you will be able to pull it off? I know i can, but i still buy my cables. (i use Alex's (goes by [AK]Zip on this forum) cables exclusivly). I can get better quality and looks by letting someone else do it.

Check around for pics on other peoples work and impressions on cables, dont just stick with mine. But most importantly try it out.

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back