Re-Buying with Experience: Classy, Natural, Well-Built Headphone needed.
Aug 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #16 of 30
I tried taking some pictures, alas I couldn't find my phone so had to make do and borrow someone else's. They look awful, but hopefully you'll get the idea

To give an idea on the Momentum cable.

The V-Moda M-100 cable and the KEF cable (yes they had them in stock - they have an open-box unit for sale, and a couple of others methinks. And of course they'll get more stock later. I think they're the only people in Canada who has them. Heck I think they're one of the only dealers around)

As you can see they do not have the XL pads in stock or on the demo pairs.

KEF cable. It's flat, and rubberized nicely. Fairly solid cable. No qualms with it. 

One more almost-identical picture because why not?

As you can see they're pretty manageable - I had to go through some efforts to get them tangled.

The new Young-thingymadingdong TMA-1 Studios aren't in Canada yet, however he might decide to get them in stock. The problem is that he had ~40 or something people who had the headbands break with the original Studios, and alot of complaints. So he's a bit hesitant. 

As for sound impressions....I've only gotten 1 hour of listening time in before the store shut down, so I wouldn't be doing anyone any favours by saying anything right now. And frankly it'd be a bit irresponsible of me. I'll be back next week to pick up some tips so I might get some extra time to listen if I go a bit earlier. 
All in all, what I can say is that the KEF was probably the more balanced and more linear pair out of the lot. Not a lot of subbass, but the punch is good, and the mids are very much clear. In fact they were the clearest out of the three (the Momentums, the V-Modas). Upper mids are a bit bumped but nowhere near K550 levels (which was also there at the time). I do wish there was more detail to compliment the clarity though. Treble is nice, pretty balanced. 
My favourite sounding were, and are still, the Momentums. Grain-free, smooth, just a tad bit of punch emphasized, great sub-bass, pretty much a downwards-sloped FR. If you aren't getting a pair I might. Out of the criteria I think these might fit the most. The price is still a bit iffy though. Most of the dealers have approximately the same (blame it on Sennheiser).
Again though, take with a grain of salt, especially since I can't go into greater detail than that.

If you can though, I highly recommend going in the store, if and when he gets the TMA-1 in. It'd probably be the best way to judge for yourself.

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #17 of 30
I wish I had a REAL Audio Store in my area... they all went Bankrupt in the 90's around here q.q

Yea the K550 does have slighty forard mids, and if the fit is wrong the low mids disappear. I still like the slighty mid forward sound it goes well with the SUPER TIGHT DEEP bass and boring highs 

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #18 of 30
Thanks for all the pictures! 

I am really confused about the momentums now.. Hahaha. There's a store with them close to me, so I can try them there, but I can't see myself going into Vancouver for a little while - so I don't know when the next time I'll be able to go to the store is.. 

Could you tell me about the comfort of all 3? (Mainly the momentum and KEF) - Also, if you could keep me updated on what you think of the sound next time you go in, tha'd be more than great.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #19 of 30
Will do.
Regarding comfort, I think I mentioned it in the Diary thread so I automatically assumed I mentioned it here...whoops :p
I have average-ish ears and the cups on the Momentums just barely fit over them. Light as a feather and not sweaty at all. The KEF has less clamp than a lot of other on-ears I've tried, but the singularly-focused pressure is still there. Travis mentioned that it excels during prolonged listening sessions. I'll have to try them both again.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:
From reading OP, my vote is for the Momentum. 

I have to go to the doctor's office in the mall today - so either before or after, I plan on going by Futureshop and trying out the momentum. If they have a good return policy, I will buy them and try them out more in depth. 

Edit: Ouch.. seems like they're asking $399 for them... Should I still get them to try them out and return them/buy from a cheaper place if I do indeed like them?

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 30
$400? Are they even allowed to do that? Well either way, I don't feel that the momentum is all that impressive but if you're going to return them then why not try them?

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:
$400? Are they even allowed to do that? Well either way, I don't feel that the momentum is all that impressive but if you're going to return them then why not try them?

Yeah.. it's way too high.. I'd pay around $250, maybe $300 for them.. but not $400... I'll still try them out in store though, to sate my curiosity. The KEF M500 apparently sounds and feels better for $100 less.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 30
Yeah.. I went by the Futureshop to try them (the Momentums) out and it seems they're really really overrated.. They look very nice, but the sound didn't sem like anything special at all. They fit around my ears fine, and the leather was plush - but the demo unit I used was extremely lose on my head, and the sound seemed thin and unimpressive..I only got to try them for about 15 minutes, but I came away unimpressed..

Was I listening to a bad unit?

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:
Yeah.. I went by the Futureshop to try them (the Momentums) out and it seems they're really really overrated.. They look very nice, but the sound didn't sem like anything special at all. They fit around my ears fine, and the leather was plush - but the demo unit I used was extremely lose on my head, and the sound seemed thin and unimpressive..I only got to try them for about 15 minutes, but I came away unimpressed..

No, they're just not that great. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
No, they're just not that great. 

LOL!
Well, they are good BUT if you expected them to blow your old V-Moda M100s away in everything, then, errrmmm NO! Not going to happen.
As per my previous post, still stand by the preference of the KEFs and M100s over the Momentums.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

LOL!
Well, they are good BUT if you expected them to blow your old V-Moda M100s away in everything, then, errrmmm NO! Not going to happen.
As per my previous post, still stand by the preference of the KEFs and M100s over the Momentums.

I wasn't expecting that at all - but I was expecting something different-yet-on-par... I didn't even get that.

Ah well - I'm slowly becoming more and more interested in the KEF M500 as well, and I plan on seeing what the general consensus on comfort is once the M-100's come out with XL pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back