RE-400 build quality...alleviate my concerns
May 23, 2014 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

unagimiyagi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I had an RE-zero a few years ago. Awesome and wonderful.  I was extremely happy, and when I wasn't, I reminded myself how little those cost and became happy again.

They broke after 4 months or so.  I sent them in, and got a new pair.  The new pair then broke as well, again in 3-4 months, and I feel like I babied them, certainly relative to my other IEMs.

Same complaint--housing started to come apart and/or the sound in one side started to go.

What is the general feeling about build quality of the RE-400?  It is supposed to be "better" but in the wild, are we seeing just as many complaints about build quality?  

Thanks!

May 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Had two, both broke, one on the plug the other near the tip, all within 6 months. Unless they have strengthened the joints and stress relieves on both ends I wouldn't bother.

Good sound, shame for the horrific built quality. I had 20£ buds that lasted years. 

May 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Also on Amazon, lots (relatively) of people complaining about the RE-400 also falling apart.
What sounds like the RE-400 but won't break?  Anything else comparable, even at increased cost?  
What I want is basically a solidly built RE-400.  

May 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 10

Mine is from the first batch so it's more than 1 year old. Fully functioning. I guess it's very important to keep it in a carrying case while it's not in use.

I was told the cable design has been improved so durability shouldn't be a problem for the newly produced units as long as they're handled with care.

May 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 10
I have one: I have only had it for about a month but I'm feeling pretty content with it. I am afraid to run with it, however. The cable has been fine as of now, seems brand new. From my friends I have heard that it has been fine for at least a year though.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 10
  OK, well that's good, not all negative, although I still can't shake my experience with the RE-zero.

By any chance what IEM sounds the closest to the RE-400 but is built like a tank?

I bought the RE-400 and the RHA MA750 at the same time, and although their sound signatures are quite different (MA750 has deeper bass, not as clear in the midrange, similar treble), the MA750 is built like a tank for sure. They come with a 3 year warranty and are just incredibly well made. They are a notch below the RE-400 in sound quality for me, but they still sound great. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 10
My Re-400 from the first batch just died, it's still under warranty so I'll see what happens.  The sound quality is excellent for the price; I hope the newer batches have improved cabling.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Mine have been rock solid....I only use them at night, while in bed, however.

I have usd them for a long time and no problems at all.....just put new comply tips on them, when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back