RCA Y-Splitters cause any signal degradation?
Apr 3, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 19
I plug my sub in with them and it sounds fine to me. I didn't even buy the nice radioshack splitters that look like the vampire splitter, but their SUPER CHEAPO ones.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 19
In a no compromise system it's bound to but its effect might be liveable for the convenience it offers. Try it for yourself the splitter is surely cheap enough. You can always remove the splitter and connect things directly when you want to listen critically.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 19
I really didn't notice a degradation. If there was one, it was surely in the "few % points" range, perhaps <1%, even. In a zero tolerance absolute system, it's obviously not ideal, but for the rest of us...It's a fine solution until we can afford to get that preamp with the two preouts.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 19
As long as the input impedence of the two amps isnt to much for the cd players output stage to drive, you will be fine. Furthermore, I have used and compared splitters vs the straight input in the past, and I did not hear any degradation. However, the splitters are hard on the rca connectors because of the added weight. Also, if the hd 300 is one of the amps your planning on driving, you will not need splitters anyway. The hd 300 has the pass through, or tape out as Craig calls it, that will allow you to drive a second amp. The hd 300 receives a signal, which is then essentially split internally at the amps input, and routed to the tape out rca's. I am planning on driving two amps in this manner, just like you . If you remember, thats part of the reason why I wanted the 100k pot on the hd 300 . The higher impedence pots when paralleled will be much easier for my source to drive. I will have two amps with 100k input impedence, which when paralleled, will result in an easy 50k final load to the cd players output stage.
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 19
i noticed a difference when i had my cdp spilt to my stax headamp and my HT receiver.

it wasn't just a small subtle degredation either, i basically had to put them in a shoe box after that and go back to switching by hand.

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 19
I'm using a Y splitter with my Satellite receiver audio. Everything sounds fine although I seem to be having increased noice but I haven't checked back to see if the splitter was the culprit.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 19
In theory, of course there will be effects. In practice? Not likely, i'd A/B it, but i wouldn't really worry about it

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
If the hd 300 is one of the amps your planning on driving, you will not need splitters anyway. The hd 300 has the pass through, or tape out as Craig calls it, that will allow you to drive a second amp.

Yes I saw that, there is a line out and a "REC" out. I know one of them is effectively a pre-amp output and the other is just a pass through huh? Which one is which? Lol, thanks, sorry for the noobish question but i couldn't google it last night.

Apr 4, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 19
i asked this question a couple of months back and i got the exact same responses.

remember, this is me, i can't hear cable differences. i'm a super skeptic.

using my new splitters, i was listening to a medeski,martin,wood disc and something was wrong with the bass. it was VERY flabby. i didn't need to a/b it, that's how wrong it was. i checked it with a few other discs and noticed that on deep bass extension the bass was fizzling out.

to test it out, when i had the splitters in, and the cable to my headamp connected, but the cable to the receiver connected only to the splitter and just hanging on the ground it was fine. But once i connected that cable to the receiver things went wrong. i'm not sure if the CDP couldn't handle the load or what the explanation was...

Apr 4, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 19
tomek,

I think maybe your source did not like the load as you theorize. When you parallel amps like this you halve the impedence the source sees and increase current demands. If you have, for example, two 100k inputs, thats still an easy to drive 50k load the source sees. However, if you have, for example, 20k and a 15k input impedences, you would have an impedence well under 10k. That would be a very tough load for most cd players. If you know the input impedence of your amps, that would give you a good idea if the load will be to much for your cd players output stage.

There can be an incompatibility issue elsewhere too, such as the capicitance of the interconnects the source has to overcome. Did you use the same interconnects for both connections?Were the interconnects the same length? When you start adding in two loads with two different impedences, and then two different interconnects that have different capicitance etc; that is hard for a source to deal with. One last thought, did the weight of the splitter and the two interconnects pull down the front of the rca's when both were connected and possibly break contact slightly? I had some trouble with this causing some noise and interferance from a source with flimsy rca's.

I am certainly no expert as to why you have had trouble. But I have had some of the same problems in my system. If you use good splitters, the source rca's are rugged enough to support the extra weight, and you have equipment with high impedence input stages to give your source an easy load to drive; you should not have to much trouble getting this to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back