RCA Y Splitter Will This Work?
Feb 20, 2009 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

willne1

Head-Fier
I have two sources, a cable box and a dvd player and one input on my EF-1. Would an RCA splitter at the input of the amp to receive both sources cause a problem if I only have one at a time powered on?

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 12
From my untutored perspective, if one amp is off, the rca splitter will be sending current to both your EF1 and the off amp .. not sure how an amp would react to receiving a signal?

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 12
I mean that if one source is off and the other one is sending a signal, that signal will still 'split' at the Y connector and go to your source that is off, and I'm not sure how an output will react to an input.

Feb 22, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 12
If one source is off and one source is on then the signal can only travel from the powered source to the EF-1. There is not a completed circuit from the "Y" to the other source because it is off so the signal cannot travel in that direction.
The hard part is to remember to turn one off before turning the other on. But even if you do the signal will simply be distorted coming from both sources. It isn't enough current to damage your EF-1

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If one source is off and one source is on then the signal can only travel from the powered source to the EF-1. There is not a completed circuit from the "Y" to the other source because it is off so the signal cannot travel in that direction.
The hard part is to remember to turn one off before turning the other on. But even if you do the signal will simply be distorted coming from both sources. It isn't enough current to damage your EF-1

That's what I was hoping for...makes sense to me. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by willne1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was hoping for...makes sense to me. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.
smile_phones.gif

I have a new cable on order, so I'm going to do the same thing. I want one dual RCA from my CD directly to the EF-1 and also a 3.5 to dual RCA from my ipod LOD docking station.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Just because a source can be "off" as in not powered does not mean it doesn't have a set of bleeder resistors on the output or even a bleeder + cap which will definitely make any other source see a resistor divider and lower load than the headphone amp. When I tried this with a NorthStar m192 and Aragon D2A DACs connected to the same Beta22, the Aragon wouldn't work at all unless I disconnected the NorthStar. Why take the risk, use a switchbox or disconnect cables. Best case scenario it won't sound the same with 2 sources, worst case scenario it won't sound at all and you might fry the output stage of one of the sources.

Feb 22, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 12
o.k...I tried last night and I disconnected the Y's right away. The volume on my amp had fallen off a lot and the sound just wasn't as clean to my ears. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back