RCA splitter/switchbox question (from source to amp)
Jun 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, need some help on this issue, and im admittedly a bit of a dumkopf when it comes to this kind of stuff, so here goes, please bear with! I have a Monarchy NM24 tube dac, which has only 1 set of tube dac outputs. I want to use these single ended tube outputs to feed 2 amps however is my issue (a woo ges and something like a CKKIII, both single ended with RCA inputs as well). Can I simply just make a "Y-splitter" cable that splits each of those RCA L/R signals into 2? Or will that weaken the signal? I don't really intend to ever listen to both amps at once I dont think, so usually one would be off while the other was on - if thats the case its like the second set of RCAs doesnt exist right? Is it possible to use both amps at once...? Either that or am i simply better of just building a basic switchbox with a rotary switch? I guess that would be a bit more of a formal solution, but would definitely eliminate the ability to use both amps simultaneously, which I MIGHT like to at least have the ability to do (if possible).

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 7
actually kind of moreso even what i want to ask is, is it possible to build a switchbox that feeds one input to multiple outputs (rather than the typical application of having multiple inputs to feed a single or few outputs). Ideally I'd like to build a switchbox with 1 set of RCA inputs, 3 sets of RCA outputs, and the ability to select either output 1, 2, 3, or ALL together (so that I can use multiple amps at once with a single source). someone please let me know if this is possible, or if im dreaming
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Just go grab a pair of RCA splitters. They are inexpensive, and will not kill the signal quality.

In fact, pay the postage, and I will send you a pair for free.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 7
hehe, k
biggrin.gif
thanks for the generous offer but im not THAT lazy, I can just go grab a pair. So theres no harm in "splitting" an RCA signal like that? i only asked because I recall awhile back asking a similar question with regards to feeding 2 balanced sources (via dual XLR) into a single balanced amp. I was intending to simply build a splitter there, but I remember people jumping on me for that, saying it wouldn't be an ideal way to do it, and a proper switching mechanism should be used???

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi Matt,

I think what you have to watch out for is the impedances.
The output impedance of the source should be low and of course the input impedances of the amps should be high.
Each of the amps being fed will 'see' the output impedance of the source in parallel with the input impedance
of the other amp. Normally, this shouldn't be a problem, but it could lead to problems if the input impedances
are lower than ideal and the output impedance of the source higher than ideal.

At least, that's how I see it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 7
hmm, so how can i translate this to "english" (ie. for the electronically/technologically un-intelligent
tongue.gif
). The source is a monarchy nm24, and I intend to use its tube single-ended outputs. The 2 amps are a Woo GES, and a CKKIII. Will I be fine with just a basic splitter - or at least no harm in trying that to start with? I SHOULD be able to use both amps at once, right? Is there any advantage to actually purchasing a rotary switch and building a basic switchbox to feed multiple outputs with a single input? Or would it just be for aesthetics?

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi Matt,

Yes, as I said before, you 'should' be OK with a splitter. Without knowing the output impedance of the nm24
and the input impedance of the Woo GES, we're just guessing. The output impedance of the nm24 'should'
be low, and the input impedance of the CKKIII, we know is high, (47.6K), so it's not likely to affect the output
from the nm24. If the input impedance of the Woo GES is similarly high, as it should be, then that also
shouldn't affect the signal.

I 'd try it.
wink.gif

If you do have problems, then the switch box is very easy to build.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back