RCA Plug and RG6 coaxial cabling
Mar 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
If the description of the plug says it must use RG6 coaxial cabling, is this an absolute 100% must, or just a strong suggestion? so long as the right ends of the wire are soldered to the proper spots on the plug does it really matter?

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 10
Depends. If you are using it as a connector for digital signals or something that demands a 75 ohm cable I would say yes. If used for typical audio signals such as left/right line level or other less critical applications use whatever wire you chose.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 10
if as you say it's a solder type connector, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Crimp type connectors are where the cable type matters a lot.

do use shielded cable for things that need shielded.

Still waiting for someone to characterize the mechanism whereby spdif suffers due to impedance mismatch in the connector, though. I can't find anybody with an EET degree who finds the idea remotely plausible.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if as you say it's a solder type connector, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Crimp type connectors are where the cable type matters a lot.

do use shielded cable for things that need shielded.

Still waiting for someone to characterize the mechanism whereby spdif suffers due to impedance mismatch in the connector, though. I can't find anybody with an EET degree who finds the idea remotely plausible.

I dunno, go talk to Jocko... he's an EE and has worked in telecom and RF design. He can show you TDR plots.

DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Things you won't believe about SPDIF cables
lots of threads there...
DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Anyone compared aes and bnc spdif?
etc.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm with you on that Eric. The spdif interface seems to work over almost any kind of wiring, technically correct or not.

(edit- Of course we could argue endlessly for years over the audibility of any effects the cable may have on the digital signal passing down it but lets not do that.)

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya mean like this?
Do Coat Hangers Sound As Good Monster Cables? - The Consumerist

(PS- article does not reflect my personal beliefs)

(I wonder if different coat hangers sound different?)

that is funny! i actually had to cut a coat hanger yesterday to make a guide to get some wires through duct work and the thought occurred to me about using it...lol..now I know.

anyway, this is the product in question:
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back