RCA for S/PDIF cable?
Aug 1, 2007 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stevenkelby

Headphoneus Supremus
Will it be ok?

What do you guys use?

Would it make a difference?

I know it's supposed to be 75ohms but I don't know what impedance RCA are. Even a proper digital coax can't be 75ohm can it? Due to the shape of the plug? I thought impedance was a function of the diameters og the conductor etc.

Thanks,

Steve.

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 10
The cable determines the impedance.

Most 75 ohm digital cables use a standard rca male connector for home audio, but can use other terminations such as xlr and TS plugs for pro use.

Can you give us a bit more information about what your application is so we can help you? Are you running cable from the digital output of a player into a DAC or receiver?

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 10
I just wanted a cable for a possible future purchase, the Opera I wtt in my sig. It would go from the souncard on my PC into the Opera. After reading another thread here somewhere, it seems an RCA cable can cause trouble so a 75 ohm cable is a must. I think I will just get this:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

It should sound as good as anything, right? Any thoughts?

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 10
I'd personally spend a little more and get one from BJC (or the equivalent). I once bought a co-ax cable, marked for digital audio usage, from a local studio and it actually sounded bad. Bad as in, after I moved on to the BJC cable, I realised how much sound I was not getting / losing through that old cable. The slightly higher expenditure will be worth the sound, if not your ease of mind.

Regards.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 10
That cable would be fine.

For a digital cable it is important to get a 75 ohm cable. The only other thing that makes a difference really is the length. 1.5m is a good length because it reduces jitter, as read in this article.

Some people argue that cables make little difference. This is especially true for a digital cable because the signal is digital. So no need to go all out on it.

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Really? Thanks for that, I will get a BJC or something then. I thought digital was digital, but I guess a cheap cable must lose some of the bits along the way then.

That particular "bad" cable actually cost slightly more than the BJC. With that cable on, I was never impressed with my own system (and neither were any visiting friends who asked for a listen). Due to a reshuffle of furniture (and hence the need for a longer cable), I made myself the afore-mentioned Belden 1515A cable which actually brought a lot of life into my system despite it being 6m long and using 'regular' RCA plugs. The older cable was found absolutely rubbish-sounding in the face of my homebrew digital IC.

With another furniture reshuffle later down the road (and the need for such a long IC gone), I bought the BJC because I've always wanted to find out for myself why everyone was raving about it and because I can't be bothered to make another IC. The difference between the Belden cables was slight this time and more attributable to the vast difference in length.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back