rca cable = component video cables?
Jun 21, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I can tell you one thing for certain. When I get around to investing in a projector, I'm buying an external scaler to scale all my sources to the native rate of the projector. Preferably a scaler with a Faroudja chipset.

My projector uses a Faroudja chipset but I think there's more to it than that, and I don't know enough about it. A lot of DVD players claim to use a Faroudja chipset for the deinterlacing, too.

Jun 22, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #32 of 37
Firstly, I'm an audio guy, not a video guy but I currently use component, S-Video and composite for various things at home. My understanding is that on my (non fancy) equpiment that can use any of the above S-Video gives me higher resolution (more scan lines) than composite and component gives me more scan lines that S-Video, is this not generally true if the source and source material are capable of all 3? I assume that is what the original poster meant by 'better'. Of course certain equipment may work better with what it is good at rather than what's it's merely capable of.

Jun 22, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #33 of 37
the original poster got thread jacked actually. eh, like i haven't done enough of that.

Jun 22, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #34 of 37
Thesrot: I dont think using S-video over composite gives you more scanlines - that is inherrently determined by your source (480i for normal viewing 480p for progressive scanned DVDs and 1080i for HDTV where "i" stands for interlaced and "p" stands for non-interlaced (film mode) )

A significant number of DVD players use Faroudja de-interlacing including the Panasonic RP56, RP62, RP82, XP30, and the Philips players use it.
For those interested the Infocus X1 is a DLP projector with builtin Faroudja processing that retails for around 1500 US.

anyone who is interested in reading more about the different connection methods and or learning more about video "modes" should check out the following two sites

www.hometheaterhifi.com
www.avsforum.com

the first URL is the home of "Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fidelity" and is generally regarded as the DVD player bible - I dont recommend a player unless I've seen what they say about it in their shootout/benchmarks

the second URL is to home theater as head-fi is to headphones - well close its a bit more "moderated" than Head-fi and these guys generally have loads of cash...but generally a great site for info on audio/video, and home theater products and setup

Jun 22, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #35 of 37
SVHS has more scanlines than VHS. When SVHS debuted, it had an s-video connection and was one of the first home electronics to have this. Thus, it became (mis)known as an SVHS jack/cable. Since then, the two terms have become synonymous. (SVHS cable = S-video cable) However, the s-video cable never really (and doesn't now) have anything to do with the number of scanlines in the format. The primary difference between s-video and composite is the separation of chrominance and luminance that tends to produce sharper color separation (less bleed). Color bleed is considered by many to be one of the biggest flaws of the NTSC format so this is why the connection has grown so much in popularity.

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #36 of 37
Ah thanks, I guess I was misinformed by my video guy. He's into SVHS which is prolly why he thought (or I though he meant) S-Video gave you more scan lines. Thanks for the info.

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
My projector uses a Faroudja chipset but I think there's more to it than that, and I don't know enough about it. A lot of DVD players claim to use a Faroudja chipset for the deinterlacing, too.

The Faroudja DCDi chipset is one of the best that's widely available. Really good algorithm in it. It does a better job with preventing diagonal jaggies than most. My DVD player (Panasonic) uses the Faroudja DCDi. But, a standalone scaler that can act as both a switchbox and scaler with a good chipset would be ideal if your display only has one component or RGB input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back