RCA Attenuators - Any Thoughts?
Nov 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stello DA100 Signature feeding a Raptor.

I don't find schematics anywhere and I don't own one, so can't help much on how to do it. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Using inline attenuators, etc. is just a band aid and doesn't address the core problem of too hot of an output. Of course it is easier...
rolleyes.gif

CD output is supposed to be standardized at 2 Vrms (IIRC, but I sometimes confuse Vp-p, etc.), but many manufacturers violate this.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for attenuators go for Goldenjacks. Much nicer then the Rothwells, less impact on the sound, and they sell for less. Plus you can get them in a variety of attenuations.

This is from someone who has used Rothwell, Goldenjacks, and Harrison Labs in his various systems.

I had some Goldenjacks when I had a stupidly oversenstiive Graham Slee Solo, they worked very well, but I sold the Solo and gave the Goldenjacks away to a fellow headfi member.

GOLDENJACKS LINE I/P ATTENUATORS for optimal CD sound on eBay, also, CD Players, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 10-Nov-08 01:07:26 GMT)

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for attenuators go for Goldenjacks. Much nicer then the Rothwells, less impact on the sound, and they sell for less. Plus you can get them in a variety of attenuations.

This is from someone who has used Rothwell, Goldenjacks, and Harrison Labs in his various systems.

I agree. With my previous tube pre I used all three brands and the Goldenjacks had the least impact on the sound. The Harrisons fogged up the mids and the Rothwells lopped off the top end and added an odd warmth to the highs and mids that killed my system's resolution.

Still, I agree with Duggeh that any attenuator is a compromise, though the Goldenjacks the least so. Whichever offers a money-back guarantee may be the way to go. I still have a set of the 14 db Goldenjacks here that you're welcome to demo and then send back if you want.

o

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #23 of 27
Your claim of "should not" is what I thought before I bought any. My claim of killed treble is what I found after plugging them in.

Whether its down to a dirtying of the signal path, the creation of a catastrophic impedance mismatch or magical goblins I do not know but the effect was not subtle and nor, for me, was it tolerable.

I've probably got one set still in a drawer somewhere. If I do then olblueyez can have them for the cost of postage.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about an audio diffmaker comparison?

Audio DiffMaker

I have used several different versions of Audio Diffmaker, it is pretty good but it is still a bit flaky. It can find differences between two identical files, especially at the start of files. It would be almost as easy to do two recordings, one attenuated and one not and compare the spectra by sight.

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used several different versions of Audio Diffmaker, it is pretty good but it is still a bit flaky. It can find differences between two identical files, especially at the start of files. It would be almost as easy to do two recordings, one attenuated and one not and compare the spectra by sight.

flaky?,.. I have a blast with it. has really opened my eyes quite a bit.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flaky?,.. I have a blast with it. has really opened my eyes quite a bit.

Yes, flaky, as in it does not always work correctly for me, now it may be the interaction with my particular systems but I have had trouble with it on two different PCs. This is a shame as I really like it and what it represents but today I loaded two identical files into the latest release and it still found differences between the files. I even tried it with the same file loaded twice !

So when I am looking for concrete proof of small differences I am not sure I can trust it's reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back