rca 7025, holy crap this is good stuff
May 20, 2003 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
good lord, and i thought going from stock to ge 3 mica black 5751 in my mg-head otl-h was a great improvement. i put in this rca 7025, gave it a couple minutes to warm up, put in some brushfire fairytales and i was like, "damn." i was pretty much floored at the improvement. the most noticable thing is how much this tube brings all the sounds more forward with a much faster response. the sounds also just feel much richer and much more present. now i'm grooving with the bass lines and in some of the tracks, this strident little bell that used to make me almost cringe, now just sings. the only thing is if i pause my cd player and max the volume you can hear a crackling buzz where before it was dead black. on the other hand, i can now turn this thing way past ear-shattering with no clipping. and if i pause at any kind of reasonable listening level, it's still dead black to me.

good gamble for 3 bucks don't you think?
tongue.gif

May 20, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 6
(About 90 minutes later)

I really like the low end out of this tube. The highs are also a lot more enjoyable to me being a bit tamer and fleshed out. The upper midrange though... There might be a little dip there now. I'll have to go back and check but I really don't feel like changing tubes at the moment and having to warm up the ge. Besides this tube is still damn enjoyable. Anyways, back to the music...

May 20, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 6
I have an unknown 7025, it has a spec of red paint on it, and 7025 engraved clearly on the top. It sounds good, but not amazing - comperable to the GE black plate I'd say. I should investigate that tube further, along with the GE black plate and grey plate I have.. Good tubes, but they've been getting no love from me since my Sylvania gold pin arrived...

-dd3mon

May 20, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 6
If you like that tube, try the 5751 Command Series tube. Those were of the HIGHESt quality, lowest harmonics, and great sound for crypto use. They are supposed to be one of the best 12ax7 replacement tubes ever. Some say they ARE the best made. They have extra supports and grey plates.

May 20, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 6
I've been very pleasantly surprised by two current tubes. The EI Elite 12AX7EG and the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. Both of these tubes are capable of performance that rivals NOS.

May 21, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 6
I also got good results with an RCA 7025 in the MGH Otl. It was my favorite except for a Telefunken ecc802s (whose use was sanctioned by Joe Lau). What I noticed most with both was the tightness in the bass they delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back