RBH - HP-2 ULTRALIGHT BERYLLIUM HEADPHONES
Dec 4, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 163
Some first impressions but it's not enough really, we need more info ASAP! 
smily_headphones1.gif

"The HP-2 sits at the top of RBH's performance ladder.  It is a traditional, wired headphone for reference-grade sound.  The HP-2 is a completely different design—not just a wired version of the HP-1B.  The HP-2 features a pair of 45mm beryllium coated drivers. The frequency range, as you’d expect from drivers featuring Beryllium is off the charts, coming in at 10Hz on the low end and topping out at 45kHz.  The sensitivity of the HP-2 is 98bB, making these reference-grade cans and easily load for smart phone or mobile amplifiers. 
Specs aside, there’s one very practical thing that makes reference-grade headphones a pain to reach for on a daily basis: their weight.  Yes, many reference-style headphones are heavy.  That weight makes wearing them all day or for extended listening sessions a bit fatiguing.   
RBH knew that a headphone’s weight and feel was an issue so they chose to tackle it heads-on in their design.  Boy did they succeed!  The HP-2 weighs a ridiculously light 8.82oz. To emphasize the point, the company refers to them as ultralight. "

"So how much do these headphones cost?  Well, the price-point of these headphones is something to take serious note of.  The HP-1B and HP-2 will both come to market for just under $200.   Gene DellaSala had a chance to get hands-on with these headphones and noted that the sound from the HP-1B and HP-2s was better than headphones he’s auditioned costing multiples of the pricing we’ll see with these new RBH headphones.  That’s exciting. 
Over the years, RBH has gradually expanded its product line, surprising us with each turn.  That being said, we’re not just looking forward to an extended review, we’re anxious to get them in-house for some extended listening."

source: http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/rbh-sound-hp-1b-wireless-and-hp-2-reference-headphones-preview

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 163
Gene also has a quote on RBH's website that this rivals an HP that cost him over $1k but these are sound better and much lighter. I'm guessing those were the LCD-2s, but could be some older Hifiman as well.Lots of hype from Audioholics on almost all RBH products they encounter.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 163
Damn! For $200, these are amazing. I just got mine today. I wasn't sure how I liked the fit at first. I've been using Denon AD-H600's and love them. Make that clear first off. Super comfy and sound great. Nice build quality for the price. That is my comparison. I have Open ear AKG's also. I have triple-fi X in ear as well as RBH EP-2 in ears. That's my collection.

These come in a nice box. Inside that is a carry case semi hard type case. The Denon's came in a bag, which I would never use. So this is nice. Two headphone cables. I prefer the cables from the Denon. I can hear vibration with one of their cables. That's a little annoying with no music. I will figure that out and see if it's better with the other cable. I have tat same problem with in ear headphones usually too though. Not an issue with the Denon's. 

The Denon's say they are 108 db sensitivity and the RBH are 98. I expected them to be power hungry. The RBH are also a lot lighter on the head. The cups are smaller though and pretty snug around the ears. I wasn't sure how I would like that. After wearing them a while though, it's nice. They feel like they "fit". They won't fall off if I move around and the bulkier Denon's need a more calm movement with the weight and loose fit.

Sound. They are definitely more efficient than the Denon's. Same volume level produces a louder result with the RBH so that sensitivity on the box is definitely wrong on one of the two. Happy with that. My guess is the Denon's are over inflated specs. The bass is definitely an improvement. Not boomy, but more predominant and tight. The overall sound is a step up. I don't have others to compare to so no clue what the $1000 pair were. I'm very pleased so far with a $200 purchase! This from a very pleased customer of the Denon's which were much more money also. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 163
Is this the size of a bose AE ..small circumaural? :)
Pads looked thick n comfy....angled? .pleather or leather?
Or the drivers are angled?

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 163
Since I really enjoy the EPH-3 and find it to be a great value, I'll have to give these a try with their 30 day trial. I also just received my Beyer DT1770 Pro's from Black Friday shopping too. If I like it just as much or more, I can save money and return the DT1770.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 163
Those pads look small, such a shame. I hope that they can be replaced with something like HM5 pads...

Whats the length of  that cord? I really don't think that they are supposed to be a portable headphone but that cable look a bit short to me.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 163
Both cables r 1.2m? Hmmmm...my head will be hovering over my coffeetable :p

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 163
Nice pictures frostbyte! Any change we could get a picture of the driver from inside(back of the baffle and magnet)? That is if you are comfortable opening the headphones. I'm interested if the drivers are their own design or something we have seen elsewhere.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 163
they sure look sweet. Some of the reviews suggest these offer very good value for the price. But the price on rbh website says its introductory price. Seems like its a good buy even at the regular price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back