Razor-Fi
May 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Proglover

Progressiveus Drummeus
I'm looking into buying one or a few (Double Edged) razors lately.

There are many models and brands.

Some popular are 'Merkur' , 'Parker' , a classic one many still use, is the 'Gillette Super Speed'.

So head-fiers, which razor do you use and why, and which have you used but didn't like?

May 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 9
als offcourse, which blades do you prefer, shaving foam/gel/cream, shaving-brush (badger-hair, bristles or synthetic)

May 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm using the shorty Merkur non-adjustable DE that I started with about 2 years ago.  I'm still trying new blades, but I like the Merkur blades I learned on.  Feather is a close second, but are very sharp and easy to butcher your face with.

I started the 'razor-fi' journey by picking up a badger brush and shave soap to use with the disposable gillette razors I had been using.  The shave soap worked great with the disposable razors, but I now much prefer proper shaving cream with the DE razor.  Proraso is my favorite cream.

Will this be your first proper shaving experience?

May 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 9
There's a shaving thread in Gear-Fi, I recently just purchased a EJ DE89, mainly for the ladies.

May 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 9

Sorry for the horrid picture quality, I just had to.
On a more related note, no one uses electrics? I use an electric phillips 7810XL.

May 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
There's a shaving thread in Gear-Fi, I recently just purchased a EJ DE89, mainly for the ladies.

ah, missed that, sorry.

May 28, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 9
The EJ89 is a fine razor. I mostly switch up between a Feather stainless and a Pils. Excellent razors, but the Feather is (closely) my favorite.

I still use an old Gillette Fatboy my grandfather gave me at 13 - my first razor. I ignored it for years, but it eventually brought me to the joys of DE shaving.

As for blades, my favorites are Feathers, Iridiums and Red IPs. These aren't necessarily beginner blades. I'd recommend a sampler pack to begin with. Your taste in blades will change along with your experience in DE shaving. I hated the Feathers at first, but they became a favorite with experience.

May 28, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 9
I have the Merkur Barberpole 38C, the Classic 1904, the EJ Chatsworth Barley, and a 1957 Gillette Super Speed.  I like the Chatsworth Barley best, the heaviest of the bunch.  I find the Barberpole and Super Speed to be the most agressive, the 1904 least.

Prefer Feather blades by a long shot.  Astra aren't bad, but Derby is terrible despite lots of recommendations on Badger and Blade.  Two shaves tops and they are useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back