Ray samuels' ss amps vs. headroom
Mar 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everybody. I tried to get an answer to my question in other threads but didn't quite cath it.
I have the headroom ultra micro stack from the start, and I really happy with it. I think it is truly a high class system which can drive pretty much any dynamic headphone effortlessly.

but I always looked at ray samuel's amps and they were always attracted me, it is like i knew how they sound just from looking at them.
anyway,there is nothig wrong with my system,like I said,I am happy with it.
the headroom amps' sound is very accurate,flat,dynamic,fast...you name it.
but I just wouldn't mind for maybe another accurate amp with maybe a tiny bit darker, and fuller sound,fatter sound. something with more weight to it,more punch down in the bass,and I just wondered if ray amps deliver that kind of sound signature. I am relating mainly to his ss amps,the HR-2 and the XP7 mainly. they are the only ones I would spend my money on.
I want honest opinions from head fiers that listened to both ray and headroom(the ultra versions) and compared them.
thank for your kind help.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 4
I got the Ultra Micro Amp to pair with my Ultra Micro DAC about 16 months ago, but sold it pretty quick. I felt like the mega neutral sound was a touch on the boring side, but more than that, it had a bad hiss with my E500 and UE11.

I picked up the SR-71A, and was simply thrilled with it. A beautifully warm and punchy, engaging sound signature, and virtually zero hiss with even the most sensitive of IEMs.

I haven't tried the HR-2 or the XP7, but I've heard Ray speak of the SR-71A's performance as being right up there with the likes of the Apache. It truly has a full-size amp's sound to it. It actually fits your description perfectly to me:

Quote:

...but I just wouldn't mind for maybe another accurate amp with maybe a tiny bit darker, and fuller sound,fatter sound. something with more weight to it,more punch down in the bass, ...

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up the SR-71A, and was simply thrilled with it. A beautifully warm and punchy, engaging sound signature, and virtually zero hiss with even the most sensitive of IEMs.:

That's very interesting feedback, might have to looking to how well the RSA amps work with Grado's now.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the Ultra Micro Amp to pair with my Ultra Micro DAC about 16 months ago, but sold it pretty quick. I felt like the mega neutral sound was a touch on the boring side, but more than that, it had a bad hiss with my E500 and UE11.

I picked up the SR-71A, and was simply thrilled with it. A beautifully warm and punchy, engaging sound signature, and virtually zero hiss with even the most sensitive of IEMs.

I haven't tried the HR-2 or the XP7, but I've heard Ray speak of the SR-71A's performance as being right up there with the likes of the Apache. It truly has a full-size amp's sound to it. It actually fits your description perfectly to me:

thanks,I will check the SR-71A also. sorry that headroom amp didn't work out for you. I am quiet happy with it, but I know what you are talking about when saying it is on the boring side. but when paired with a realy "non boring" headphone like the D5000 or RS1 the outcoming result is an amazingly accurate and balanced sound. perhaps with more "flat",neutral headphones the headroom sound can be a bit on the analytical side...know what you mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back