Ray Samuels RAPTOR (texas size pics) #8001
Mar 30, 2005 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 158

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
Some pics are with the stock phil 5687 tubes and some are with the tung tubes. I just got her in and I havent had alot of time to listen...

if you all dont mind I am going to listen now, and btw these pics dont do the beauty of the RAPTOR any justice.

there is also more pics in RAY's thread..check them out
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113310

raptor002.jpg

raptor007.jpg

raptor012.jpg

raptor014.jpg

raptor015.jpg

raptor018.jpg

raptor020.jpg

raptor021.jpg

raptor027.jpg

raptor033.jpg

raptor035.jpg

raptor036.jpg

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 158
Oh, Billy....what you're doin' to me!!! What awesome(and oh so painful) pics! I'm so envious that words fail me.
frown.gif

And that hr-2...oh how I wish I hadn't sold her. That was a mistake....big mistake. Enjoy being number one but remember this moment. I've already asked Ray to make me number one on the A-10 list. I'll have my day and believe this...I'm takin' names and a certain hockey fan is at the top of it!!
icon10.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 158
Toooo cool. I like the red ring around the volume control better than the other color that was going to be used. Great stuff.

So, what kind of headphones do you like. :^)

John

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 158
COOL BEANS!
tongue.gif
Don't keep us in suspense as to what it sounds like for to long. Congrats.
orphsmile.gif
600smile.gif
lambda.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 158
Billy what kind of IC's are you using?

Man, I can't wait until Todd and/or Larry releases a headphone stand...my 580's are very jeolous of your 600's
600smile.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 158
Does the raptor have a stepped attenuator for volume control. At that price point ($1200??) I think it should. Very cool looking little amp. I like the production finish on the amp better than the prototype. Can't wait for impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 158
Billy, that is a very impressive display of top-shelf gear. Even more impressive is the fact that you have #8001. Enjoy the music =)

P.S. Are those tubes the same ones that were on the prototype Raptor the day we were at the Chicago meet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Billy what kind of IC's are you using?

If I recall correctly, those are MIT ICs.

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 158
Thanks blue_onion, I see those things everywhere, it seems Ray uses them a lot. I was just wondering what kind, and I'm guessing they are pretty pricey?

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Oh, Billy....what you're doin' to me!!! What awesome(and oh so painful) pics! I'm so envious that words fail me.
frown.gif

And that hr-2...oh how I wish I hadn't sold her. That was a mistake....big mistake. Enjoy being number one but remember this moment. I've already asked Ray to make me number one on the A-10 list. I'll have my day and believe this...I'm takin' names and a certain hockey fan is at the top of it!!
icon10.gif

sorry kenw, Ray made me No.1 on the A-10.....
rs1smile.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by cortez
Does the raptor have a stepped attenuator for volume control. At that price point ($1200??) I think it should. Very cool looking little amp. I like the production finish on the amp better than the prototype. Can't wait for impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Cortez.....
The Raptor has very small internal space, no attenuator will fit in it, though I buy NOBLE pots by hundereds, dismantel them to pieces & match the left & right values of two sections to within few ohms differance, then I do not stop at that as I hook it up to the DVM & read the values of both sections in ten different locations as I turn the pot for the correct tracking values, then the pot will pass for the amp that I install it in, if the tracking dos not pass it is taken apart again to be matched with another section of different pot. All pots no matter who makes them, not the attenuators, are 20% totelence, & that is not a very good news, This eats a lot of my time when I make many of them.
So when you listen to the Emmeline II "The Raptor" you will be very satisfied that the sound stage is always correct & in the right place no matter where you are on the volume control.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back