Ray Samuels Emmeline XP-7 Review/Impressions (Awesome Budget Component Alert)
Oct 19, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #17 of 41
i have to say..that as a person that once was hooked to X-feed.. i don't have the problem with getting the XP-7 now with the CD3000. they don't really need crossfeed (except the really seperated recordings). until now, the XP-7 and CD3000 combo is reported to be very good. oh, and ray uses the sonys with this amp..

Oct 19, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 41
i won't comment on sound now, because the amp didn't get a full break in...
but this thing is very solid!
very high quality parts.. world class!
i just love the feeling of the volume pot..it's hard to rotate. because this is an amp to put in your bag..it's very important!
(i remember the volume pot of the supermini was easy to rotate and it bothered me very much..)

mmm.. let's plug in the ER-4X
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 41
do this amp change a lot with time?
it sounds just great with the DT880 now..after 3 hours of operation.. (AD797) very good soundstage structure!
(sorry..i couldn't help it)
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 41
I'd have to agree with all of Tuberoller's praise of this little gem. It's going to be a tremendous product, and I predict that it will be in short supply very quickly.

I listened to it with batteries only at our Detroit meet, and was absolutely blown away. I used both a Meridian and Wadia with it, and it handled all that these two monsters could throw at it. I will own one in rather short order, and may replace my old MAX with one.

The only thing missing IMHO is crossfeed. I would be using it at work, and will want crossfeed for sure. Oh well...I hear that the Meier Cross does a nice job for not too much $$. Has anyone put the XP-7 and the Cross into a Traveller bag? Does it all fit?

I would be interested in learning a bit more about the character of the different op-amps. I'm also curious about how difficult they are to switch out (if something simple to do can result in breakage, I'll find a way to do it
mad.gif
), and how costly they are.

Like I said, however...an amazing little product. I believe that my first words were "Holy crap!! This is a portable??" Thanks to Tuberoller for another excellent review.

Oct 19, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 41
i'll report fshortly about op-amps.
i have both AD797 and AD825.

elrod-tom.. what's a traveller bag for you?
i have the Cross-1, do you want me to measure them together or something?

and i am not surprised it performed that good with killer sources. but you don't have a killer source on the go..right?
smily_headphones1.gif

you got...MZ-R50
biggrin.gif
(i don't even have the right kind of cable to hook it to the XP-7..)
anyway..i think that even a Cmoy will like a Wadia
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
do this amp change a lot with time?

You really should not see any real changes in this amp and the HR-2. They are burned in and tested before delivery.

Oct 20, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #25 of 41
I couldnt agree more with everything Elrod-Tom said. I too listened to them extensively at the recent Detroit Meet and was shocked that a portable could possibly be that good. This product should be a huge hit, and deserves every bit if its success. This should revolutionze portable headphone listening entirely, its THAT remarkable. Great review Tuberoller. Another superb product from Ray. My highest compliments.

JC

Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I'd have to agree with all of Tuberoller's praise of this little gem. It's going to be a tremendous product, and I predict that it will be in short supply very quickly.

I listened to it with batteries only at our Detroit meet, and was absolutely blown away. I used both a Meridian and Wadia with it, and it handled all that these two monsters could throw at it. I will own one in rather short order, and may replace my old MAX with one.

The only thing missing IMHO is crossfeed. I would be using it at work, and will want crossfeed for sure. Oh well...I hear that the Meier Cross does a nice job for not too much $$. Has anyone put the XP-7 and the Cross into a Traveller bag? Does it all fit?

I would be interested in learning a bit more about the character of the different op-amps. I'm also curious about how difficult they are to switch out (if something simple to do can result in breakage, I'll find a way to do it
mad.gif
), and how costly they are.

Like I said, however...an amazing little product. I believe that my first words were "Holy crap!! This is a portable??" Thanks to Tuberoller for another excellent review.

Oct 20, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
You really should not see any real changes in this amp and the HR-2. They are burned in and tested before delivery.

mine ain't burned in. it was an ASAP delivery, because i need to go abroad with the amp in the end of this month.

anyway guys..if this amp responds so well to very good sources, then i don't know what's the use of it as a portable, because it's probably really transparent - and will show the crap of portable sources..

Oct 20, 2003 at 11:33 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
anyway guys..if this amp responds so well to very good sources, then i don't know what's the use of it as a portable, because it's probably really transparent - and will show the crap of portable sources..

This is one of the things that I'm interested in learning more about at the Chicago meet. One of the things that I really enjoyed about being able to evaluate the Cosmic in the run up to the Detroit meet was using it with my work rig (Sony D-25S). I thought that one of the things that really made the Cosmic such a teriffic product was the way that it could handle a wide variety of sources with grace.

Don't get me wrong, my work rig isn't bad, but it doesn't measure up to the MSB Gold Link III in my home rig either.
biggrin.gif

I'll have to bring my work rig stuff and give it a good run at the Chicago meet.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 12:14 PM Post #28 of 41
Adam....
Your amp was burned-in for over 100 hours, in fact it was supposed to go to some other buyer but because of your traveling time I send it to you. But I e-mailed you saying that the amps was burned in with the power supply. which means the battery connections, lanes & part of the swith are not. You have to give that part some time. I can't burn -in that part that means I have to waist so many batteries to break-in that section of the amp. You purchased it with out power supply, So a good time is needed to do the burn-in for you.
Cheers.
Ray samuels

Oct 20, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #29 of 41
did you experience a significant change in character
after burning in the battery related components?
my sonys shows sibilance! (but not much, though)
mad.gif

calm me down in here..uncle ray
rolleyes.gif

BTW, when i said "what's the use of it...", i was trying to be chalanging, not to say it's useless, if anyone thought so
wink.gif

ray, i have to tell you that the DT880 sounds great on that amp..
did you try them?

Oct 20, 2003 at 2:25 PM Post #30 of 41
Adam,

I honestly think the burn in of the battery related components will be extremely small almost imperceptible. The other components that have a greater impact on the sound are already burned in.

I know the excitement that you are experiencing with a new piece of equipment. Your ears need a chance to become accustomed to the changes as well. Just sit back close your eyes and relax and listen to your favorite music.

I listened to the XP-7 with my portable Panasonic CT570 and it sounded as good if not better than the Cosmic I normally travel with. You have a very good piece now all you need to do is sit back and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back