Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline XP-7
Feb 11, 2008 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

bsn

Head-Fier
This is my first post at Head-fi. I am new to the Hi-Fi headphone world.

I am quite excited!
biggrin.gif
I just got off the telephone with Ray Samuels. I just placed an order for my first headphone amp. I ordered the Ray Samuels Audio, Emmeline XP-7 with AD797 OP-AMP upgrade. I'm assuming that this is a good choice for newbies first headphone amp?

The only hard part now is that I have to mail Ray a check for payment and wait 3-4 weeks for him to build the amp and ship it.
frown.gif
Waiting is going to be very difficult.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 31
For now, the source will be an iPod 80GB with Apple Lossless format , using the iPod's dock connector line-out. I will probably purchase a quality CD player in the future.

I may also get the Grado RS1s or Senn HD650 as a future upgrade.

I live about 15 miles from Audio Advisor, so I will probably purchase the CD player and cans from them.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming that this is a good choice for newbies first headphone amp?

For a first amp, that's one heck of a nice choice! If I had that, it would likely be my last amp...

Are you going to be running it with batteries, or did you get the power supply?

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 31
For right now, I am going to use just the batteries. I may get the power supply later on as funding permits.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 31
I suggest you also try the LT1028 in the XP-7. Its a terrific opamp and I preferred it to the AD797.

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 31
I might give the LT1028 a try. Right now, I'm just impatiently waiting to get the unit. I was torn between getting the Hornet, which RSA could have shipped to me the same day (Instant Gratification) or waiting 3 weeks for the XP-7. I think I made the correct choice?

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 31
The XP-7 is worth the wait. Its a super amp !

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only hard part now is that I have to mail Ray a check for payment and wait 3-4 weeks for him to build the amp and ship it.
frown.gif
Waiting is going to be very difficult.

Dude, that's going at light speed compared to 90% of the amp builders out there. The norm is waiting for months... in extreme cases, some people have waited for a couple of years.

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 31
I'm still wondering if I would be just as happy with an amp like the Predator or Hornet? I know the XP-7 is better, but being a newbie and never having heard any of the amps, I'm not sure how much better we are talking here. I was not able to find many reviews on the Predator or XP-7.
So, I'm making decisions based solely on a few reviews.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 31
I have both the XP7 & Hornet. To my ears, with a decent source & phones, the XP7 is in a class above the Hornet. Eats batteries though so I'd invest in 2 sets of high capacity 9V rechargeables. The dedicated PSU looks nice but is pricey. Congratulations on an excellent first amp...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 31
Yeah, I have both as well though I rarely use the Hornet since I bought Musicmaker's XP-7 with the LT1028 opamp. Sound's great with my SR225's so I'd assume it will be the same with the SR125 as well. Anyway, congrats on scoring a topnotch amp. Ray's products and customer service are second to none.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 31
Thanks for the info, as of today, I'm committed to the XP-7. I sent Ray the payment. I am very excited and I am eagerly looking forward to receiving this very fine amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back