Rate your tinnitus!
Mar 18, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #16 of 62
Whatever it is, that TV has it damned loud and I can't go near it...it doesn't bother anybody else in my family though
confused.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 62
I had the absolute nuttiest ear response the other day while pounding a metal plate with a sledgehammer (don't ask). I started hearing some kind of strange harmonic series with each blow. Like starting at a mid range frequency and going up in varying increments out of my hearing range. Totally bizarre. Needless to say I handed off the hammer and found some rags to stick in my ears before I went back. I need to get a pack of earplugs to keep around for that kind of work.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by aphex944
D-EJ915, that's the flyback transformer used in CRTs, I think it's like 17khz? Something like that..

15.75kHz for NTSC I believe. And boy can it be annoying.

Where I work one whole floor is populated by relatively old guys. They can't hear it anymore. One of them has a pair of crappy speakers hooked up to his computer that couple in his CRT's horizontal scan rate in nicely (that's probably not 15.75kHz being dependant on what his screen resolution and refresh rate are, but its up there somewhere). They are all oblivious, but it is really loud. Fortunately his speakers are turned off most of the time.

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric F
I hear dead musicians.

OK, that was really funny. But I'm easily entertained
580smile.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #20 of 62
I hear dead people....

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #21 of 62
The TV/CRT noise is bad. What really used to get me was the ultrasonic alarms that some places had. Thank goodness they are not as common as they used to be.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I hear dead people....

My band and the fans are made up of dead people.

We're the first Exhumation Metal band...I thought it up, no copying me...too bad it's just me, and I suck at the guitar really really badly, but I can rip a new one on vocals.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #23 of 62
I wasn't sure how to vote. I am not sure if this loud high pitched noise is ringing or not.
I wish I hadn't looked at this thread. I wasn't noticing the noise until I read this, and took off my headphones to see if it was a ringing noise or not.
mad.gif

I hate to turn up the music any louder to drown it again, but I may have to now.

Anyway, I can hear it all the time over all but the very loudest of noises.
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #24 of 62
I can always hear some sort of ringing noise, although sometimes it can be so faint that I only notice it when it's really quiet around me, but those times aren't as often as I'd like. Sometimes it can be very loud ringing. I have had tinnitus all my life so I'm used to it, I can't imagine life without it (although it'd be nice to not have it). I probably got it as a result of constant ear infections starting when I was I was an infant, and continuing into my teens. I am more sensitive about my hearing than most people I know since I don't want to create any further damage to my hearing.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #25 of 62
I can hear a high pitched ringing when there is no noise. Generally it is very slight, but sometimes a little more significant. It can always be easily displaced with noise though. And luckily I sleep with a fan on, so I don't hear it generally.

My tinnitus developed very recently, within the last two months. I think I know why too. I bought my Beyer DT770 and I was breaking them in at higher than normal volume levels. But I kept wanted to see what they sounded like, and unfortunately I got used to the high volume. By the time I realized how loud I was listening, I started noticing ringing in my ears.
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 62
I like the lower pitched hum of the color wheel and fan in my DLP TV far better than the high pitched sound of CRT's.

My Cintiq has pretty annoying high pitched noise from the inverter for the back light. I guess even LCD's can be annoying too.
frown.gif

-Ed

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #28 of 62
Several loud concerts (including the GnR/Metallica one that saw the onset of my tinnitus), several years of car stereos (600 watts and four 15" subs), and working around jets and propellors for so long in the Navy has landed me in the I can almost always hear a high-pitched ring category. I have taken several precautions lately, including carrying some Ety ER-20s with me most of the time, and listening to the volume on my cans so low it isn't funny. I feel so stupid for all those years of blaring my car stereo, going clubbin' with friends to places where the music was way too loud, and one too many concerts. I wish I could do it all over again and bring some earplugs to events like these.
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #29 of 62
Negative. Neither of these
biggrin.gif
once every few days at night I might hear what they call silence or a slight low ambience, but nothing high pitched. Just silence. I checked out my hearing and it was good. I should go again, its been a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back