Rate your tinnitus!
Mar 18, 2004 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
Rate your Tinnitus (or lack thereof).

Mar 18, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 62
I am just interested in what other people experience.

I would rate myself as mostly "I can hear a high-pitched ringing in the dead of night." Once in awhile it will go to the next level.

Although I think my hearing is fairly good, I wish I could A/B my hearing from high-school to my current hearing. It would interesting to see how much degredation there's been.

bdh

Mar 18, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 62
I can hear a very faint high-pitched ringing in the dead of night.
I can hear a very faint high-pitched ringing, but only when the external noise is low.

no one should be choosing the first choice because there is no such thing as absolute silence...while you're conscious atleast.

Mar 18, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 62
I've noticed that my tinnitus has gotten worse lately, I'm just noticing it more, or both.

Usually I don't really hear it much unless it is dead quiet.

I had an MRI, recently, so I'll know for sure soon what's going on. Although, it's for another problem with my ear.
But on the doctor's order request was listed for tinnitus. LOL, I guess HMO's are taking tinnitus seriously now?

-Ed

Mar 18, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 62
Being in the pub for St Pats day has made mine worse - I can hear a ringing now, whereas yesterday with the same volume level I wouldn't have been able to hear it. It looks like i'm going to have to avoid all loud noises now
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx

no one should be choosing the first choice because there is no such thing as absolute silence...while you're conscious atleast.

Well, you'll always hear at least two things. Blood flow in your ear and brownian motion of the air. But niether of those are ringing. You should in fact not hear any high pitch ringing in perfect silence. But you should hear the above two mentioned effects which are a bit like white noise.

That said, a large chuck of the population does hear ringing in the quietest conditions. And it is not necessarily a sign of hearing damage. Lots of things can cause it, and exposure to too much loud noise is only one cause.

Mar 18, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 62
Sort of depends on how much caffeine I've had at the time... Since I've usually been drinking way too much, they usually ring a bit!

Mar 18, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 62
Often I can hear a very high piteched (very close to my upper limit of hearing) when it's really quiet, but I attribute it to too much loud music. I cannot remember a time when I did not hear it.

Is this tinnitus, or is it normal?

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 62
D-EJ915, that's the flyback transformer used in CRTs, I think it's like 17khz? Something like that..

Silence can be 'deafening' to me when no external noise is present(no hum of computer), and the high-pitched ringing becomes so intense if I concentrate on it. If I sleep a few nights with the computer off, it's much much better.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by taylor
Often I can hear a very high piteched (very close to my upper limit of hearing) when it's really quiet, but I attribute it to too much loud music. I cannot remember a time when I did not hear it.

Is this tinnitus, or is it normal?

I believe it is tinnitus, although I am not qualified to diagnose it
biggrin.gif
and it may be normal for you since I understand some folks have it from birth.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by aphex944
D-EJ915, that's the flyback transformer used in CRTs, I think it's like 17khz? Something like that..

Those really annoy me too, I used to have a nokia monitor that was so bad I couldn't sleep if it was on in the next room with both doors closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back