Rate the video games you're currently playing
Oct 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #3,091 of 6,937

Quote:
Dishonored - 9/10

This game snuck up on me, as I only saw one trailer before release. Game is fantastic so far, the stealth options are great and the gameplay is just superb. As of right now, it's incredibly fun to head into something expecting complete stealth, messing it up, and then proceeding to whip out my pistol. At the end, all of my enemies have turned into ash :)

The only annoying thing is that twice now I've died near the end of a mission having to completely restart, very frustrating because I forget to save.

hmm the game should autosave quite frequently so you shouldn´t have to startover completly? I played on hard maybe they disable saves on VH? That would be pretty cool I will for sure do VH on my next playthrough. Since I am going for high chaos it shouldn´t really be harder then my last game on hard. So I guess there is a big chance I will end up at low chaos anyway. I am so bad being mean in games always being the good guy lol

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3,092 of 6,937
Dishonored - 10/10

This is up there with Half Life 2 I think. It's better than Bioshock 1/2, but can't really be compared to Fallout 3 (which is my #1 favorite).
This one isn't really a shoot-em up due to limited ammo and weapons.

One thing I realized is that I'm terrible at this game or close. Maybe it's bad special ability selection or lack of weapon upgrades. On one level I died maybe a dozen ties due to trying to go too fast.
The most annoying part for me is being in a tough area without any ammo! This if from a person who beat Bioshock 2 on hard, Fallout 3 on Very Hard. Even Uncharted 2 on Crushing.
I guess i'm terrible at stealth based games!

The level design and scenery is just amazing. If they could make the game even MORE open it could be even better.
The Flooded City area was just a complete wow moment for me. I had to sit there and look at it for a minute.
The entire game looks like you're playing  in an entirely different world. It reminds me of London or something taken over by the Nazis during a plague. Brings back memory of Half Life 2 also.

BTW I imagine I will be playing this one over and over. Hard to believe you can go through the game without killing anyone!

NOTE: I didn't like this much during the first half hour or so. It took awhile to pull me into it.

EDIT: I wish they had a FPS like game of the Fable series. Seriously. Can you imagine using a Blunderbuss in a FPS! I don't want the game to be dumbed down like with Fable 3.
Some parts of Dishonored reminded of Fable 2. Must be how I thought the city was kind of like London.

Oh yeah... Dishonored doesn't even feel like a FPS at all IMO. It's much slower and has some stuff that requires you to think a bit to advance. No lame puzzles luckily.

I think Fallout 3, Half Life 2 and Uncharted 2 are the only games in the last 10 years to get a 10 from me. Fable II maybe got a 9.5/10, but it was stupid easy but fun.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #3,094 of 6,937
Apologies for wall of text here...

I'm going to buck the trend a little bit and say Dishonored is an 8-ish out of 10. It's a phenomenal concept that is executed almost perfectly, but in my opinion it really, really, really loses impact toward the end. Some of the setpieces in and near the endgame are very clearly designed to increase the dramatic tension, but I personally found the low chaos ending-- which is, theoretically at least, the best one-- to be highly unsatisfying. It didn't really bring closure to the experience in a way that was emotionally cathartic. Without spoiling anything, I feel comfortable saying that the high chaos ending was much more... appropriate, I guess is the right word. 

Basically, it felt like my whole first playthrough built up to a great final moment that just sort of petered out into nothingness. There was closure, yes; just not in the way that I feel would best suit the overall plot and theme of the game, and definitely not in the way that would suit Corvo as I played him.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the experience of playing it, and I'm sure I'll have at least another couple runs through the game. Some of the missions were among the most creative I've played in an FPS, and presented unique and interesting challenges. I always enjoy games that give a nonlethal option, and Dishonored definitely delivers in that regard. The gameplay is rock-solid, and all of the mechanics (with the possible exception of the contextual choke, which sometimes has issues from angled approaches) work really well.

So I guess I'll go with 8.5 out of 10. It's a great game that definitely deserves to be played by as many people as possible, but I feel like it falls a little bit short of its potential in a way that really undermined my overall experience.

I've also just finished Black Mesa, which I'm going to say was more or less the best FPS I've played in the last year. 10/10 easily. It basically takes every aspect of the original Half-Life that was good and makes it infinitely better while completely getting rid of, or restructuring, the less-positive elements. Pretty much everyone knows the plot of the first Half-Life, so there certainly weren't any developments in that department. However, the massive improvements in pacing, graphics, audio, level design, and even dialog really enhance the experience, and make the existing plot much more immersive.

Gameplay wise, there isn't really anything new to see here. If you've played Half-Life, Half-Life 2, or pretty much any other Source game, you know what you're getting into. The only complaint that I have is that if you aren't familiar with crouch-jumping, and the particular hand gymnastics it can sometimes entail, then you will not be able to beat the game. Period. It's not hard at all to get used to, but there are sections where a small miscontrol can easily result in an otherwise avoidable death.

The new soundtrack is absolutely incredible. Every setpiece track felt like it was designed just for me as I played through the game. Even the ambient pieces are solid, and for the most part non-repetitive. However, what really stands out for me about the soundtrack is that it's very listenable-- not just a select track or two, but the entire OST as a whole feels like a professionally produced album, and has a coherent quality that a lot of soundtracks just can't compete with. Unfortunately it's only available in mp3, although I *believe* that the original files are contained in the game data folders in .wav format.

Overall, as I said, one of the best FPS titles I've played in a very long time. It might not have the gameplay depth or graphical polish to compete with the likes of Deus Ex or Dishonored, but as a concise, cinematic gameplay experience it's very hard to beat.

Plus, being free is nice, too.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #3,095 of 6,937
Is it really that good? I thought it looked good, but damn guys.

Honeymoon phases and all.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it's good.

I only give 9/10 to instant classics. Those games you'll remember forever that are near or perfect. Actually, never thought a game deserved a 10/10. In my eyes, these people are exaggerating, but who know, maybe it is one of the greatest games of ALL time for them.

Every game is flawed to me, so I highly doubt I think it'd be that good. Just looking at it on youtube, looks like an 8 at the most. But you never know. I don't even like Bioshock, lol.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #3,096 of 6,937
tdockweiler if you get short on ammunition it appear that you have a bit of an aggressive play style. I stayed in the shadows generally and always had full stocked bullets and arrows because I hardly ever used them. Sleep arrows was the only thing that sometimes got a bit short in supply. The powers are very strong if you are doing the stealth approach but there is not that many that benefit a more aggressive playstile except for whirlwind and time bend.

It´s entirely doable going around without killing anyone but it´s time consuming and take quite a bit of planning.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #3,097 of 6,937
I wasn't blown away by Bioshock either. Atmosphere doesn't make up for sub par gameplay, IMO. 

Quote:
I only give 9/10 to instant classics. Those games you'll remember forever that are near or perfect. Actually, never thought a game deserved a 10/10. In my eyes, these people are exaggerating, but who know, maybe it is one of the greatest games of ALL time for them.
Every game is flawed to me, so I highly doubt I think it'd be that good. Just looking at it on youtube, looks like an 8 at the most. But you never know. I don't even like Bioshock, lol.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #3,098 of 6,937
Sub par compared to what? I wouldn´t call it subpar compared to the average fps. There is a LOT of ****ty ones.

Bioshock is not a 10/10 perhaps a weak 9/10. Dishonored may be a bit samish but it´s a game I really feel you have to run through at least twice to rate.

System Shock 2 and thief 2 is 10/10s to me if we stick to games that is somewhat the same genre as these two. Bioshock is the odd one because it´s more of an action title so you can sneak some of course. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3,099 of 6,937

KillZone 3 (PS3) - 7.5/10

I never played the first two of the series but picked the game as it came with a brand new controller. I don't feel like writing a wall of text but the only thing I hate about the game is how the AI reacts and the amount of ammo it takes to take one enemy down. Add in the fact that there is nothing to hide behind when being shot by multiple enemies. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #3,100 of 6,937
Uncharted 3, 8/10 over all loved the hell out of it. I feel they needed to elaborate  on the villains endgame; not just "get the thing, k bye" and who they were....like they just don't tell you anything about them.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3,101 of 6,937
Quote:

I think i've only given about 4 10/10s in the last 10 years. I've rarely played anything as good as the old SNES games. Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2 are the rare exceptions. I think i've played both of those for 100+ hours easily. Fallout 3 maybe 300+
I don't know why people think a 10/10 game needs to be perfect. No game is perfect, but can be close.

As for the bolded part. WHAT THE...?? Did you seriously say that? Who looks at a clip on youtube and says "Hmm...looks like a 7". Do you watch a trailer to a movie and say "That's only a 5!".
What is your method of reviewing a youtube preview of a game. Do you analyze the gameplay and graphics? Maybe how fun it was to watch the clip?
confused_face_2.gif

Guessing what a game or movie would be like based on previews is usually a bad idea i've found.

Strangely enough I disliked Bioshock 1, but loved part 2. After the updated controls and abilities in part 2 it's hard to go back to part 1.

BTW I normally hate stealth based games. I tend to avoid them. It's a mistake to do that here.
Quote:
tdockweiler if you get short on ammunition it appear that you have a bit of an aggressive play style. I stayed in the shadows generally and always had full stocked bullets and arrows because I hardly ever used them. Sleep arrows was the only thing that sometimes got a bit short in supply. The powers are very strong if you are doing the stealth approach but there is not that many that benefit a more aggressive playstile except for whirlwind and time bend.

It´s entirely doable going around without killing anyone but it´s time consuming and take quite a bit of planning.

Yeah, that's my problem and I definitely learned how NOT to play the game. I'm much slower now and when I play it again it will be even slower. I also started using sleep darts too
biggrin.gif

I think on some levels I had like 5+ guys coming at me. Probably not supposed to be a common occurrence
normal_smile .gif

In the later levels it's almost like I HAD to sneak or i'd die much too fast. I imagine the hardest mode would be impossible without sneaking most of the way.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3,102 of 6,937
Quote:
You guys arent inspiring alot of confidence in my decision to play Xenogears lol

i can imagine a remake of xenogears with better graphics and playing disc 2... lol

and that FF rhythm game looks good.. characters movement reminds me of a social networking game called "amepigg/ameba" from japan xD

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3,103 of 6,937
Relax dude. I said it LOOKS like an 8. That's actually very generous. I felt like saying 7. Games I LOVE get 8s. I'm not someone who lives in the age where anything under 9 isn't worthwhile.

In any case, you don't know my taste.

I hate Fallout
I hate Oblivion
I hate Skyrim
I hate both Bioshocks
I hate Assassin's Creed
I hate Arkham Asylum
I don't care for Borderlands 1 or 2 (have the first, rented the 2nd)

I'm a VERY picky gamer, and lots of these games bore me to tears. These are games I have played.

I looked at quite a few lengthy vids of Dishonoured. I KNOW I wouldn't like it, and I'm sure if I played it, I'd probably give it a lesser score.

As for what I'm currently playing...

Medal of Honor: Warfighter. 6/10.

Played the whole campaign. Mediocre FPS 101. I hated the multiplayer too. Just... nothing fun about it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3,104 of 6,937

Quote:

I think i've only given about 4 10/10s in the last 10 years. I've rarely played anything as good as the old SNES games. Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2 are the rare exceptions. I think i've played both of those for 100+ hours easily. Fallout 3 maybe 300+
I don't know why people think a 10/10 game needs to be perfect. No game is perfect, but can be close.

As for the bolded part. WHAT THE...?? Did you seriously say that? Who looks at a clip on youtube and says "Hmm...looks like a 7". Do you watch a trailer to a movie and say "That's only a 5!".
What is your method of reviewing a youtube preview of a game. Do you analyze the gameplay and graphics? Maybe how fun it was to watch the clip?
confused_face_2.gif

Guessing what a game or movie would be like based on previews is usually a bad idea i've found.

Strangely enough I disliked Bioshock 1, but loved part 2. After the updated controls and abilities in part 2 it's hard to go back to part 1.

BTW I normally hate stealth based games. I tend to avoid them. It's a mistake to do that here.

Yeah, that's my problem and I definitely learned how NOT to play the game. I'm much slower now and when I play it again it will be even slower. I also started using sleep darts too
biggrin.gif

I think on some levels I had like 5+ guys coming at me. Probably not supposed to be a common occurrence
normal_smile%20.gif

In the later levels it's almost like I HAD to sneak or i'd die much too fast. I imagine the hardest mode would be impossible without sneaking most of the way.

You have to pick and plan the battles. Taking on 5 on very hard is not that tough if you have ammunition, traps etc. If you have not then you are indeed in trouble. Will see when I got time for a second play through. I started to feel on Batman Arkham City but I don´t know. It´s very well done and all that but the fighting is not that fun and I don´t know if the more open world really suit it.

I also borrowed darksiders and Sleeping dogs from the library. Darksiders is a totally straight God of War clone. Really not embarassed to copy and paste just about everything.  Very well done though. Not as much story it appears. Sleeping dogs I haven´t touch much but it looked surprisingly good on PC. Very nice in 3D though except for subtitles. Fighting here is quite a bit more interesting then in Batman Arkham city but well I suppose you will get tired of it. I love the hongkong setting.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #3,105 of 6,937
Dark Souls 10/10. Love it. Have sunken something like 150+ hours into it, bought the DLC that just came out yesterday and am working to reach the new areas since I already started new game+. I can't think of any other game that has so captured me and made me obsess so hard as DS has. Well, maybe WoW, but I quit that a long long time ago and would not go back to that if someone held a gun to my head. Once I finish NG+, DS will also be my first platinum trophy! Love this game so hard.

Mark of the Ninja - 8.5/10 Great game, great replay value. Got this on Steam and played it with an Xbox 360 controller, haven't tried out the keyboard controls, but I doubt the keyboard would play as well. Did get just a little repetitive at some parts and the controls can be finnicky, especially some of the contextual ones. But the stealth aspect was excellent and very well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back