Rate the video games you're currently playing
May 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,666 of 6,943

Quote:
     Quote:

The lack of retail availibility and difficulty of getting a CRT serviced makes them impractical for most. As much as I'd like a trio of GDM-FW900s for my desk, it's a bit tough to find one in good condition locally, much less three.

Oh, I would trade my 32" Samsung TV, which I use as a monitor, for a brand new FW900. I would do it in a hearbeat. CRTs were awesome! Even though the response time of the *VA panel my TV uses is rather slow in some colors and input lag is on the higher side, it is the only panel type that can get contrast and black depth that rivals CRTs.

With CRTs black is truly black, speed is ridiculous (phosphor trail that white objects leave on black background do not count) and I can use higher refresh rates than 60Hz which better LCDs panel types are stuck at. Real refresh rates and not that faked interpolated crap seen on TVs.

May 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,667 of 6,943

Quote:
The lack of retail availibility and difficulty of getting a CRT serviced makes them impractical for most. As much as I'd like a trio of GDM-FW900s for my desk, it's a bit tough to find one in good condition locally, much less three.

Very much agreed. Both with you and with MaZa.

Let's see what the newer generations of OLEDs can do.

May 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,668 of 6,943
You can do better then the G27 particularly if you need multiformat support. Fanatec Turbo S have PS 3, PC and Xbox 360 support. Except for that it has an onboard OSD which let you adjust all the settings you are used to by PC software. But you can do it in game and also on consoles. Belt drive is also much smoother then cog driven wheels and have a more realistic feel to me.

If you don´t need 360 support there is also the Thrustmaster TS 500... Though it´s a bit odd being a PS 3 wheel and not all PS 3 titles support it. But from all reports it´s superior to the Fanatec wheels and thus also better then the Logitech onces. Rather unanimous of those that tried it regarding force feedback.

For DIRT 3 they are overkill. They really come into their rights on racing simulators. The steering is kind of borked on most arcade titles including this one due to the gamepad optimizations primarily but it still is a lot of fun. I am a bit spoiled I have a hard time enjoying racing sims or even arcade titles at all using a gamepad. It just feels weird and unnatural. Racing without my cockpit would be very hard as well but that I can at least do and still get some enjoyment out of these games :)

As for resolution if you run DIRT 3 at 720P on PC you get better graphics. the internal resolution for consoles is lower then that.
Quote:
I believe the higher end Logtiech wheels are PC and PS3 compatible. 

One thing to remember though, even if you can't run it at max resolution and max settings, bump down the resolution to 720 and max everything. You get the resolution of a PS3, and the look of a PC. 

Also, most console developed games (ala. Dirt 3) are later ported to PC, so the native resolution is 720 anyway. Upscaling usually taxes a system hard and doesn't make it that much better. The thing that really makes PC look better over consoles most of the time is all the fun stuff like lighting and environment effects.

May 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,670 of 6,943
Anyone know how sim-ish Dirt 3 is?

Pokemon FireRed... How do I rate this? 8/10 if this was some game I had never played before, but 10/10 for nostalgia's sake. Original 150 FTW!

I guess you can tweak it to pretty simmy (lol...) but I'd say 50/50 simmish/arcadish. It's not Forza. I'd say it's pretty accurate but I can still play it well (on level 2 diff, cough).

edit: Funny aside, when I started playing Dirt 3 it asks do you want to play on casual? I was like yeah why not and then crank it up from there. It took me awhile before I noticed that the computer was braking for me and everything. I'm pretty sure a dog could play it on casual with all assists and still win every race (no offense to dogs...). :p

May 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #1,671 of 6,943
I usually do the opposite. Start with all assists off and then adjust a little from there. Do it with Dirt and Forza.

Also, at least it's not Joy Ride (for Kinect). There's a video (can't find it right now) out there that shows a guy literally sitting in his chair not moving and he gets second in a race on Joy Ride. Ugh. Casuals.

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know how sim-ish Dirt 3 is?

Pokemon FireRed... How do I rate this? 8/10 if this was some game I had never played before, but 10/10 for nostalgia's sake. Original 150 FTW!

I guess you can tweak it to pretty simmy (lol...) but I'd say 50/50 simmish/arcadish. It's not Forza. I'd say it's pretty accurate but I can still play it well (on level 2 diff, cough).

edit: Funny aside, when I started playing Dirt 3 it asks do you want to play on casual? I was like yeah why not and then crank it up from there. It took me awhile before I noticed that the computer was braking for me and everything. I'm pretty sure a dog could play it on casual with all assists and still win every race (no offense to dogs...).
tongue.gif

May 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,672 of 6,943
I usually do the opposite. Start with all assists off and then adjust a little from there. Do it with Dirt and Forza.

Also, at least it's not Joy Ride (for Kinect). There's a video (can't find it right now) out there that shows a guy literally sitting in his chair not moving and he gets second in a race on Joy Ride. Ugh. Casuals.

I'm not as hardcore as you though. /bows

I have a hard time just finishing a video game that I usually play on easy (unless it's just too easy). Last game I actually finished was MGS4 only because once I got past act 1 (which took a month of omg I'm not gonna sit through this cutscene! Another 20 minute cutscene, I only moved 10 feet!) I couldn't stop playing because the story was so epic.

Once I gold everything in Dirt 3 I'll crank up the diff and go online probably as well.

Cheers!

May 29, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,673 of 6,943
Eh, I play RaceRoom by SimBin with a 360 gamepad with no assists except autoclutch. I manage the absolutely insane Formula RaceRoom with major effort and focus (still spin out fairly often). I played the Dirt 2 demo to death and the only real difficulty in the demo with difficulty set to max is how slow your vehicle is compared to the rest of the field...

May 29, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,674 of 6,943
Eh, I play RaceRoom by SimBin with a 360 gamepad with no assists except autoclutch. I manage the absolutely insane Formula RaceRoom with major effort and focus (still spin out fairly often). I played the Dirt 2 demo to death and the only real difficulty in the demo with difficulty set to max is how slow your vehicle is compared to the rest of the field...

Cool

May 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #1,675 of 6,943
I sat down with a group of friends after the MGS 4 midnight release and played through in 21 hours. We were so hyped for that game...And it was totally worth it.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not as hardcore as you though. /bows

I have a hard time just finishing a video game that I usually play on easy (unless it's just too easy). Last game I actually finished was MGS4 only because once I got past act 1 (which took a month of omg I'm not gonna sit through this cutscene! Another 20 minute cutscene, I only moved 10 feet!) I couldn't stop playing because the story was so epic.

Once I gold everything in Dirt 3 I'll crank up the diff and go online probably as well.

Cheers!

May 29, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #1,677 of 6,943
I like games with mostly sim and just a teeny bit of arcade feel to them. Forza and Dirt are my tops. They're ever so slightly unrealistic and it makes them more fun than full on sims for me. 

I still want a complete drift simulator though. That's my passion as far as cars go.

Quote:
Perhaps I was a bit pretentious... But that's basically what I measure my racing games against. How hard they are usually depends on how realistic they are.

May 29, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #1,678 of 6,943
Perhaps I was a bit pretentious... But that's basically what I measure my racing games against. How hard they are usually depends on how realistic they are.

And my reply wasn't very respectful, I apologize. It really gave me a good laugh though, thanks. :wink:

The pretention was part of it but then you were comparing it to playing the demo of the previous release. That sealed it.

I haven't but if you turn all of the assists off and play on level 5, Dirt 3 is probably pretty challenging. But it's still rally racing (pretty much anyway). It's not like F1.

Cheers!

May 29, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #1,679 of 6,943

Quote:
I like games with mostly sim and just a teeny bit of arcade feel to them. Forza and Dirt are my tops. They're ever so slightly unrealistic and it makes them more fun than full on sims for me. 

I still want a complete drift simulator though. That's my passion as far as cars go.

Dirt fans in general have you ever tried Richard Burns Rally? I don´t know if DIRT 3 even measures up to 25 % sim but as an arcade title it´s great. Not decided if it better then DIRT 2 in that aspect but I do enjoy it´s more rally focused. Just hope the wheel controls can get tighter but I am not finished tweaking.

I don´t think anything will ever beat RBR both in realism and fun factor particularly since the entire industry shy away from simulations. Of course there is those that like to market their products as "realistic" and simulations because that is what gamers still seem to want to hear. Shift 2 or Dirt 3 is not simulations by any means just because they aren´t ridge racer. Just as F3 and GT 5 aren´t. RBR is a timeless classic as superb now as when it was released. Even better due to the modding community.  I have a hard time picture why rally pictured realistic can´t be fun unless you hate challenges but that´s just me. 

So try out RBR if you want to try out more of a sim approach. It´s not that hard really but you have to forget the notion you can always run 100 % throttle and that the brakes are as effective on ice as F1 brakes are on tarmac. Tracks are narrower again more as IRL but really the physics engine is so good you develop a car control that I just can´t develope using the DIRT 2/3. Apart from DIRT, Forza etc RBR is optimized for wheels so you do have linear steering.

May 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,680 of 6,943
I'm playing Grand Theft Auto 4, and I love it man. Beating the story again, spending endless hours exploring Liberty City and finding secret stuff that I haven't noticed in the past 3 years playing this game. One of the best games on the market IMO, must own if you own a PS3.

GTA IV <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back