Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 3, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #6,631 of 6,937
The original is more railroaded for sure moving from area to area. With some bigger hubs to explore.

I still need to play the remake of 2 and 3. Found it a little hard going back to them after RE7 and Village. 2023 is going to be my year of playing single player games. Less of the online shooters taking up so muuch time.
I like being lost with many paths that branches out (which isn't exactly open world, but I like branched dungeon like settings). This is why I like Soulsborne and Metroidvanias.

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,632 of 6,937
Not alone there, I do think the open world or bigger world designs is something that appeals to our human nature of exploring.

Thats also a fun part of Returnal with the world always changing every time you die. You feel lost not knowing what each path leads 2, while the second area in the game is more linear but still random.

Whats your favorite metroidvania? Been thinking about giving Hollow Knight ago, wife just started on it and it looks awesome.

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #6,633 of 6,937
Also going trough some backlog games for GBA, currently in game 2 of Golden Sun. I would rate the first Golden Sun game 9/10, great turn based rpg with loads of charm.
Ah Golden Sun 1&2 those were actually the first JRPGs I ever played when I was a kid. Miss those games and sad they never finished the series. I still have the first 2 somewhere in storage. The 3rd one on the DS ended incomplete story wise and was obvious there was supposed to be a 4th to finish the story.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #6,634 of 6,937
Ah Golden Sun 1&2 those were actually the first JRPGs I ever played when I was a kid. Miss those games and sad they never finished the series. I still have the first 2 somewhere in storage. The 3rd one on the DS ended incomplete story wise and was obvious there was supposed to be a 4th to finish the story.
Wife's favorite rpg games, they have charm that's even good in today👌

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #6,635 of 6,937
Wife's favorite rpg games, they have charm that's even good in today👌
Yeah I remember having a lot of fun. How using the djinn to change your classes and unlocking special skills was really fun. I grew up on the Sega Genesis, N64, Xbox Original, PC, and Nintendo handhelds starting with the GBA. Did have a PSP though and got some JRPG's on it such as Star Ocean 1/2 and FF7 Crisis Core. Went just PC and Nintendo handhelds during the 360/PS3 era, now it's just PC really, never got a Switch.

Since I didn't have the PS1/2 or Gamecube, I missed out on a lot of jrpgs and first ones I played were on the GBA such as Golden Sun and Pokemon. Thankfully the PC is becoming a good JRPG system.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #6,636 of 6,937
Not alone there, I do think the open world or bigger world designs is something that appeals to our human nature of exploring.

Thats also a fun part of Returnal with the world always changing every time you die. You feel lost not knowing what each path leads 2, while the second area in the game is more linear but still random.

Whats your favorite metroidvania? Been thinking about giving Hollow Knight ago, wife just started on it and it looks awesome.
I'm generally a Castlevania (post SOTN games excluding the 3D titles) fan and like Metroid as well. My interest for Metroid is a little less than Castlevania.

Hollow Knight for some reason didn't jive with me, but it is an excellently crafted Metroidvania, and well deserved to be highlly acclaimed.

I liked Blood Stained: Ritual of the night, Ender Lilies, and Aeterna Noctis

I think me being a Castlevania fan really makes sense given I like Soulsborne. There are similarities there. I strongly feel Soulsborne is Castlevania in 3D. People argue against that, but I know I have interest in both because they are alike. There is no other explanation for my affinity for both types of games.

People say Dark Souls is inspired by Zelda, but I do not agree. I really don't like what Zelda has become. Zelda games do not age well.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #6,638 of 6,937
I was hoping to see gameplay, but no dice. This is disappointing, they didn't provide any info.

Never tried a Armored Core game, TBH I havent tried a mecha game since PS2 in my youth.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #6,639 of 6,937
MV5BZGFlNmY3N2QtNjM0Mi00NGQxLTgwNWUtNzRhZjkwY2U0N2U3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3NjAwMDc4._V1_.jpg

Just finished the HD Wind Waker for Wii U some weeks ago, second time I beat it. First time being on the gamecube many years ago.
I am Zelda fan and prefer almost all the games that came before Breath of the Wild.

I would rate the Wind Waker 7/10

The problem I find here is that while the game is a masterpiece in design, music and feel the endgame is lacking. Last half of the game has more boring temples and you travel way to much. For example the part about finding all the last pieces for an endgame item is a boring chore.

If they had more interesting second part of the game I would have made it a 9/10.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #6,640 of 6,937
capsule_616x353.jpg

Also in my quest for not playing so much multiplayer games I bought Eternal during the black Friday sales. 48inch OLED together with great IEM/Headphones is a masterfully done experience. I like this more than the 2016 DOOM. Easy 9/10 for me.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #6,641 of 6,937
Persona_5_cover_art.jpg

Going to rate it without playing trough the whole game as 6/10, about 70% into the game and had to stop.
I have watched lots of Anime of love turn based RPGs, while not a bad game it is to long. Story is quite fun and engaging but its slow, would have liked better pacing. Combat is not hard and rather on the easy side. Biggest downside of the story is all the Anime clichés.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #6,642 of 6,937
download.jpg

Always played many racing games, Gran Turismo being a favourite since the 3 entry on the PS2.
I loved that the 7 did go back more to the roots of the series with amore Arcady layout of the menu and cups. How you get stuff trough the Cafe books works good.
I play the game with a controller and not a racing wheel, and It must be the best game so far from the series because of the haptics in the controller. With some tweaking in the setting I can compete with wheel users online.

8/10 would have rated it higher if it had more content and a few more tracks.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #6,643 of 6,937
Never tried a Armored Core game, TBH I havent tried a mecha game since PS2 in my youth.
My fav mecha game has to be Zone of Enders by Hideo Kojima. I like Japanese mecha designs, Gunpla. But, there hasn't been an anime/game besides 'Do you Remember Love,' I really enjoyed. I found Evangeleon too Emo.

I'm looking forward to Armored Core 6 because it's directed by Miyazaki, and made after the Soulsborne era. I expect something innovative and new from the typical Armored Core game.

I think it's possible to make a SoulsBorne Armored Core game, but Miyazaki said he isn't doing that.

The combat in Zone of Enders is quick, you can incorporate Soulsborne mechanics to it.

Also in my quest for not playing so much multiplayer games I bought Eternal during the black Friday sales. 48inch OLED together with great IEM/Headphones is a masterfully done experience. I like this more than the 2016 DOOM. Easy 9/10 for me.
It seems everybody rates this high, but it didn't jive with me. Original Doom was innovative for it's time, but I feel that gameplay mechanics is dated.

Going to rate it without playing trough the whole game as 6/10, about 70% into the game and had to stop.
I have watched lots of Anime of love turn based RPGs, while not a bad game it is to long. Story is quite fun and engaging but its slow, would have liked better pacing. Combat is not hard and rather on the easy side. Biggest downside of the story is all the Anime clichés.
I agree with you here. I didn't find this game up to the level of hype surrounding it. It's just not fun at all. I'd rather play some classic Square turn-based than this. I really don't get why this game is acclaimed by reviewers.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #6,644 of 6,937
Playing trough Returnal, fan of rogue like games. Probably a 7 of 10 for me, good ambient soundtrack. Combat is very fluid and fast, usually not a fan of controller in shooters. But here I like it, the rumble motor in the ps5 controller does give some extra good feelz.4ItSbqJE88H019Ua3WBQKLF8.jpeg
I am playing returnal as well - really like it but the 1st boss is giving me fits. Stage 3 keeps tearing me up.

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #6,645 of 6,937
I am playing returnal as well - really like it but the 1st boss is giving me fits. Stage 3 keeps tearing me up.
Just try some more times, did need a few runs and the extra life + great upgrades to make it.

But yeah the 1 hour runs to get there can be frustrating, specially when last phase just destroys you😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back