Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jun 17, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #6,361 of 6,938
I though Fallout 76 was pretty solid. It has definitely come a long way since launch.

I didn't run into too many bad bugs, outside of crashes. Not sure what was going on with the game, but if I played for too long in an interior map, the game would crash; even after reloading the game.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #6,362 of 6,938
I though Fallout 76 was pretty solid. It has definitely come a long way since launch.

I didn't run into too many bad bugs, outside of crashes. Not sure what was going on with the game, but if I played for too long in an interior map, the game would crash; even after reloading the game.

No crashes yet - touch wood. ......... Played 28 hours.

@Kukuk .... Sorry I remembered last night I did have maybe three crashes. They all happened around the same time within maybe half-hour of each other. However I just clean forgot when I posted yesterday, because it happened maybe twenty hours ago in game time. I think I forgot because it's not been a recurring or intrusive problem. I now remember being annoyed at the time.

The crashes were the type where the game image locked, and would not respond to anything. Had to ctr-alt-del, and restart.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #6,363 of 6,938
Never was a fan of Metroid myself, but am into metroidvania games a lot these days and will give this one a try once it comes out, that's for sure.
Guess what I'm plaaaaaaaying?

Super Metroid. The bosses are kinda tough, but it's really short battles so it doesn't waste so much time to try over and over again. Besides the bosses, it's an easy game. It's just exploring mainly.

You can get easily stuck with these games. There are certain things that's not so intuitive to progress through the game. Thank god there are online guides for the game when you get stuck.

I'm playing through Retrorarch on my OLED, and CRT-Royale filter/shader looks really good with old sprite based games.

This game just brings me back to my childhood.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #6,365 of 6,938
Replayed Life is Strange. I remember when it came out it was extremely divisive, and I can kinda understand why. The writing in it can be a little... Zany? Obnoxious? Over the top? It's understandable for people to feel that way, but with my high tolerance for obnoxiousness it really did not bother me. To me, it gives the game a good bit of charm that you just don't find in other games. I think some of the slightly wacky dialogue provides a good contrast to the extremely dark overarching story; without it I think the game would come off as too depressing.

I'd also like to sing praise for the cast of characters. Really a lot of great standouts, with some interesting character drama. I think even some of the petty girl drama is kind of fun because, again, it's not something you find in other games. When this came out it was at the height of Telltale's popularity, so I think tonally this was a good contrast to that. The time rewind was also a great gameplay mechanic that further separated it from Telltale's offerings, and served the overarching story as well. It was really a masterful way of incorporating gameplay mechanics into the story.

To me this is probably a 9/10 game, if you're into this sort of gameplay. There's so much to like here, but you really have to come in with an open mind and high tolerance for juvenile dialogue.

After finishing that, I started up Life is Strange: Before the Storm for the first time. I think I bought the game right after it came out, or maybe after the final episode dropped, but I never got around to playing it. I was entirely burnt out on this formula after having played through a good number of Telltale games.

I just finished the second chapter, and I kinda have mixed feelings about this. Not having the rewind power makes sense from a story perspective, but it cuts away a good portion of what made Life is Strange special. On top of that, the juvenile dialogue is dialed waaaay back, further stifling its personality. It makes so much of the narrative in the game come off as dry, and makes the characters in the game seem to lose a dimension.

On the flip side, there are some nice moments in the game, and while devoid of the supernatural elements, there are some pretty compelling story beats. The two leads in particular are really likeable and move the story along nicely, I just wish the side characters had a little more personality; I really can't be bothered to talk to any of them. I'm also annoyed that all the returning characters from the original have different voices. I never thought I'd miss hearing Ashley Burch's voice...

I think Before the Storm is more of a 6/10 game.

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #6,366 of 6,938
Been playing Bravely Default 2 and I like it. The story starts out well presented and seems engaging. I like the acting as well. The soundtrack has so much influence in this game. Very good sound presentation. I like that Square is putting out classic jrpg style games now. I hate the newest FF stuff.

I like this battle sound track.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #6,367 of 6,938
Always been an FPS player since I was a kid. Only just started playing Single player rpg games when Cyberpunk came out. I've since played Horizon Zero Dawn, RDR2 (how did this not win GOTY), and Metro Exodus. Going to get into The Witcher 3 as well. I've been missing out on these games my whole life.

Jun 29, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #6,368 of 6,938
Actually playing Scarlet Nexus on PS5. God I missed a good anime game so much, and this one seems one of the best I played so far. My favorite is still Nier Automata ( way ahead ), but after the disapointment that Code vein has been, it's nice to see a good Anime game.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #6,369 of 6,938
Started replaying Code Vein; I'm once again really enjoying it. It's kind of a perfect Souls game to me. I just don't have it in me to play brutally difficult games anymore, so the more forgiving difficulty really resonates with me. It's not easy, mind you, but it has fewer BS deaths than the Souls games do.

A lot of the main cast is really cringey, particularly when trying to be heroic or "cool", but I really like the story and world building in the game. Character customization is also a lot of fun, and it's nice that it lets you retool your looks whenever you want.

My biggest gripe with the game is the fact that the world is all narrow corridors. Even outside, the entire map is just a series of paths so you never really feel like you're exploring, just pushing your way through a dungeon. Even the Souls games have a better sense of openness, despite being somewhat narrow in nature.

Still, it's an 8/10 game to me.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #6,370 of 6,938
Remnant: From The Ashes

Kind of a low rent Destiny 2, but to my mind better in some ways. Good gunplay, interesting equipment / lots of different end game builds. Story is pretty well done too.

Got the base game for free on Epic Game Store months ago, finally gave it a chance a few weeks ago. Ended up buying both DLC and don't regret it at all.

The base game is also free for Xbox, PC, and streaming via Xbox Games Pass. If you don't own the base game on Epic get it on Steam instead - the Epic version has no cloud saves.

I now have pretty much all the gear you can get via the two campaigns (outside of survival and hardcore mode) and 100 hours in. More time than I have in other recent games by far.

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #6,371 of 6,938
finally got around to finishing spider-man on my ps5, got all the trophies besides new game+, great showcase of the console's capabilties 8/10. miles morales so far is about the same, better graphics/feel slightly but basically feels like a better dlc

Jul 12, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #6,372 of 6,938
Prey (2006).

If you're thinking it might be worth a look, don't bother. By today's standards, the gameplay is tedious and annoying. It's puzzles every few metres, and a lot of death. Speech of one character is often played over another, making both incomprehensible.

The game engine is the same 'id tech 4' as Doom 3 and Quake 4. That's as far as any comparison goes though.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #6,373 of 6,938
Prey (2006).

If you're thinking it might be worth a look, don't bother. By today's standards, the gameplay is tedious and annoying. It's puzzles every few metres, and a lot of death. Speech of one character is often played over another, making both incomprehensible.

The game engine is the same 'id tech 4' as Doom 3 and Quake 4. That's as far as any comparison goes though.
Prey (2017), however, is a completely different beast, and a great game. I do agree with you about 2006 though.

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #6,375 of 6,938
I didn't like Prey 2017 that much. ...... For me it was spoiled by way beyond too much googling.
Interesting. I didn't do a lot of looking up from what I remember. It felt very much like a 3D metroidvania to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back