Rate the video games you're currently playing
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #5,941 of 6,939
Dead Island: Riptide ....................7.4/10

Started off just like Dead Island. All melee weapons, and not a gun to be found. Hated the melee, for many reasons. One reason being that your reach with a weapon was equal to zombie's reach.

Second half of Riptide and guns came along. Then it became the kind of zombie game I wanted. A sort of Walking Dead type game, albeit in the Dead Island unusual graphics. All wrapped up in the usual 'go do' quests, in more or less open world.

To be fair, once guns came along, I could not stop playing. The guns were far more effective than in Dead Island. Either that, or because I brought my character over from Dead Island, my character upgrades helped a lot. However overall, I think Riptide was balanced differently. Like shotgun, head-shot, one shot kill. In Dead Island it took a lot of shots. Same for all the guns.

Would I recommend Riptide. Probably not as you might need to have all of Dead Island's upgrades to make it playable.
Interesting. I never got into dead island series because the game always seemed to be real buggy.

You hear there are coming out with a legit walking dead game? I am excited to see how that turns out.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #5,942 of 6,939
Interesting. I never got into dead island series because the game always seemed to be real buggy.

You hear there are coming out with a legit walking dead game? I am excited to see how that turns out.

Do you mean the one called OVERKILL'S The Walking Dead?

Am very interested to see how that turns out.

The original Dead Island (meaning not Dead island Riptide) took me 33 hours to play. I was a bit stand offish at first, then I loved it up until about 22 hours. By that time I was frustrated and bored, both with melee, and finding it hard to get about.

Dead Island Riptide, as above post says. Oddly I was still going OK with it, even though it was hard to get about at first. I was even OK using melee, and surprised how much I was sort of liking it - just! However once the guns came along, as said, I couldn't stop playing.

Sadly though, that only meant about twelve hours of gun fun. Since Dead Island Riptide only lasted 24 hours for me.

*****By the way I saw no bugs in Riptide. I don't recall any in Dead Island, but I played that about two years ago. Probably wouldn't remember, but I don't recall being annoyed at bugs at all.

I keep wondering about Dying Light. ... However someone in this thread reported that a lot of what made Dead Island hard work, was in Dying Light. Stuff like weapon degrading, while slower than in Dead Island, still a bit of a pain.

However overall, I get the impression that Dying Light is more melee based, so I might not like it enough.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #5,943 of 6,939

The original Dead Island (meaning not Dead island Riptide) took me 33 hours to play. I was a bit stand offish at first, then I loved it up until about 22 hours. By that time I was frustrated and bored, both with melee, and finding it hard to get about.

Dead Island Riptide, as above post says. Oddly I was still going OK with it, even though it was hard to get about at first. I was even OK using melee, and surprised how much I was sort of liking it - just! However once the guns came along, as said, I couldn't stop playing.

Sadly though, that only meant about twelve hours of gun fun. Since Dead Island Riptide only lasted 24 hours for me.

*****By the way I saw no bugs in Riptide. I don't recall any in Dead Island, but I played that about two years ago. Probably wouldn't remember, but I don't recall being annoyed at bugs at all.

I keep wondering about Dying Light. ... However someone in this thread reported that a lot of what made Dead Island hard work, was in Dying Light. Stuff like weapon degrading, while slower than in Dead Island, still a bit of a pain.

However overall, I get the impression that Dying Light is more melee based, so I might not like it enough.
Dying light was a ton of melee. I actually loved the game and thought (at the time) it was drop dead gorgeous to boot. I bet you could get it for cheap now if you want to try it out. You might be burned out of genre (zombies) since you just beat riptide though. If you really don’t like melee combat then it mignt be too much of a turn off

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #5,944 of 6,939
Just started paying Spintires: Mudrunner. (Ten hours played.)

So far I don't see much different to the original Spintires which I have. Only the camera is easier to use. You can rotate 360 and tilt up and down. (The original spintires could often end up in a wrangle with the camera.)

If I was going to rate Mudrunner so far, I'd say pretty high. It's just hard to rate. (Maybe if you get a really good sale price like I did for £4.24, then 8/10.)

I lose time in these all-wheel driving games, fast. My only big problem with Mudrunner, is that there is little fix or improvement that I can see so far over the original. Graphics seem the same, even though I heard that Mudrunner's graphics are better. .... Spintires was about 650MB download. Mudrunner was about 950Mb download. (I think that explains the graphics.) ... My smaller problem with the Spintires games, is that your vehicles take damage for what seems like nothing.

However if you want to sink time into some all wheel driving physics game. You're going to like a some of, or a lot of what Mudrunner has to offer. (Or Spintires for that matter.)

I mean I ended up hating Spintires because I got stuck everywhere in some vehicles. At that time though, I had not worked out how to use the winch. Now I winch myself out. Only extremely rarely do I ever get stuck for good now. ... Leaving me busily enjoying trailing through mud as slow speed, and liking it lots.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #5,946 of 6,939
Switching back and forth between Persona 5 and BOTW. Man, easy top 2 games as of late. 9.9/10 for both. P5 is like BOTW but a bit more focused in that you're sort of directed where as BOTW is more laid back.

May 5, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #5,948 of 6,939
botw is zelda? That will never happen as long as nintendo can sell their consoles for three times the manufacturing costs to get people buy zelda as well on top of that :p

Ridiculous profit numbers for Nintendo this year as well.
Wonder though if they release one generation of zelda and mario on PC if they still wouldn´t get all the sales and then some more :)

May 5, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #5,949 of 6,939
botw is zelda? That will never happen as long as nintendo can sell their consoles for three times the manufacturing costs to get people buy zelda as well on top of that :p

Ridiculous profit numbers for Nintendo this year as well.
Wonder though if they release one generation of zelda and mario on PC if they still wouldn´t get all the sales and then some more :)

Yeah, I'd like to criticise that perspective of Nintendo, since it means buying the console and more. Meaning PC owners, or other console owners, are left with no choice but to use more environmental resources. (Yeah buy another console yeah blah blah. Meanwhile you GPU sits patiently waiting to be used.)

Why not just make good games and port them to all formats?

However with cryptomining, PC gaming may be coming to a close. Card prices are still very high, and cards in stock, still rare.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #5,950 of 6,939
I haven't thoroughly enjoyed an Ubisoft game since Rainbow Six 3 in 2003 (one of the best FPS games ever). I still play it to this day, largely since I didn't actually play it until 2013 or 2014.
The girl has been glued to Rainbow Six Seige since it came out. I am right there with you though. The early Rainbow and first Ghost Recon with thier expansions on PC were amazing. I just had to do a look through their wiki to see what all they made and out of their library I also like the Brothers in Arms series and they also made a Ghost Recon on 3DS that plays like XCom that is seriously underrated. But most of their games in recent times are very samey.

May 9, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #5,951 of 6,939
The newest game I've played in a while is Resident Evil 7.
It's pretty good...
I give it an 8/10.
It's nice to see a decent RE game again.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #5,952 of 6,939

The melee combat in Dyling Light is a lot more satisfying than in Dead Island. Weapons feel like they actually have weight. The parkour system isn't bad either. I would recommend it 100% for at least one playthrough. Co-op through the campaign was awesome, imo.

May 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5,953 of 6,939
Recently played Oxenfree and The Final Station briefly. Procrastinating instead of studying for the finals.

I love the atmosphere and the music of Oxenfree. It was almost scary because I was playing it at 1 in the morning. 9/10

The Final Station seems fun. It was on sale for 1 dollar so I went for it. I didn't know it was a zombie infesting world kind of game when I bought it but I enjoyed the few hours I played. 8 seems too high but 7.5 seems a little low but 7.5/10

May 9, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #5,954 of 6,939
The melee combat in Dyling Light is a lot more satisfying than in Dead Island. Weapons feel like they actually have weight. The parkour system isn't bad either. I would recommend it 100% for at least one playthrough. Co-op through the campaign was awesome, imo.

I was hoping it was like that. In Dead Island, the melee weapons felt like they were just flailing in front of the player. Looks like it might be worth a go, when it's on sale.

@raccoon city yeah, I was not so keen on RE7. I hated not knowing if enemies could be killed or not.

I am kind of hurting over RE games in general. I keep trying them and being disappointed. My latest try was RE: Revelations 2. It was OK, but I am getting badly low on ammo and just gave up. I had not seen before that I switched to the little girl, I could see enemy weak spots. (Torch possible does the same on the two women sections.) Then trying headshots all the time. I could have saved a lot of ammo, but my last save I got about seven pistol rounds left and that's it. I just dare not go forward into the next room. Not a bad game otherwise, but the constant switching characters was annoying.

May 10, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #5,955 of 6,939
The girl has been glued to Rainbow Six Seige since it came out. I am right there with you though. The early Rainbow and first Ghost Recon with thier expansions on PC were amazing. I just had to do a look through their wiki to see what all they made and out of their library I also like the Brothers in Arms series and they also made a Ghost Recon on 3DS that plays like XCom that is seriously underrated. But most of their games in recent times are very samey.
My buddy and i played Siege like it was our job when it first came out! Then something happened and we got tired of it and stopped playing it all together...

I think we just got tired of dying and having to wait ha

Now we play PUBG together on duos and we haven’t looked back. Nice to have a friend that I can game with like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back