Rate the video games you're currently playing
May 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #4,306 of 6,938
Sure and also given that gaming is actually a secondary use for my computer, with its primary duties being music production and less so video production.

Still though, at the resolutions, even older games look amazing and play so great and 100+ fps - games such as Dirt 2, NFS Shift, Fallout 3/New Vegas. I used to get motion sickness quite often playing certain games but since my graphics card upgrade, the higher frame rate has alleviated most of that for me.

Gameplay is important of course, but running these resolutions and frame rates is pretty jaw dropping at times. Some scenes in Crysis 3, BF4, Grid 2, Metro etc. look just stunning and very, very impressive.

Why didn't you get a MacBook pro for music production?

May 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #4,307 of 6,938
Sure and also given that gaming is actually a secondary use for my computer, with its primary duties being music production and less so video production.

Still though, at the resolutions, even older games look amazing and play so great and 100+ fps - games such as Dirt 2, NFS Shift, Fallout 3/New Vegas. I used to get motion sickness quite often playing certain games but since my graphics card upgrade, the higher frame rate has alleviated most of that for me.

Gameplay is important of course, but running these resolutions and frame rates is pretty jaw dropping at times. Some scenes in Crysis 3, BF4, Grid 2, Metro etc. look just stunning and very, very impressive.

Why didn't you get a MacBook pro for music production?
Because you get much more bang for buck making your own PC. I've always used PCs and I use Sonar, which is PC only. Also, I wouldn't be able to game on a Macbook like I do on this rig and most importantly, I'm not prepared to be ripped right off by overpriced gear that becomes totally redundant a few years down the line.

May 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #4,308 of 6,938
I do like the idea of getting an ipad of some sort for location recording, but as far as my home setup is concerned, I'm not lacking for anything. There isn't a Mac out that performs to the spec my PC does.

May 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #4,309 of 6,938
I do like the idea of getting an ipad of some sort for location recording, but as far as my home setup is concerned, I'm not lacking for anything. There isn't a Mac out that performs to the spec my PC does.

I have a gaming pc with two 7990s and a MacBook pro with avid media pro tools 11 and media composer I use for video editing and recording music!

May 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #4,310 of 6,938

I have a gaming pc with two 7990s and a MacBook pro with avid media pro tools 11 and media composer I use for video editing and recording music!
I definitely couldn't justify the expense of two rigs when my one does it all.

May 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #4,311 of 6,938

MacBook pro is portable a pc isn't..i dj all over the world and take it with me..you would be surprised how good a macbook pro is for making music and video editing..i recorded this using a canon 1dc with a canon super 35mm lense with a rode stereo mic..it was all edited on a MacBook pro!

May 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #4,312 of 6,938

MacBook pro is portable a pc isn't..i dj all over the world and take it with me..you would be surprised how good a macbook pro is for making music and video editing!

I wouldn't be surprised, I know how great they are, I just don't need that portability.  I'm a pro trumpet player and make most of my music performing live without electronics.  All my recording and editing can be done at home, unless I need to record in a particular space for a certain acoustic.  Then, I'll take my mics and DAV BG-1 preamp with me, record into my PCM-M10 and deal with the rest back at home.  If I needed something powerful and portable, I might consider something like a macbook, but then again, having used Sonar for so long, I could just as easily end up getting a Windows laptop.  Apple will inevitably stop supporting your Macbook, making it redundant and forcing you to pay over the odds yet again for another one!

Anyway, back on topic, I've been enjoying Asseto Corsa recently.  I bought the test version through Steam and am racing with a G25 wheel.  The car handling physics are second to none and the modelling and tracks look beautiful.  Ragging a Ferrari F40 around Silverstone has never been so much fun!  It has eveil turbo lag that can kick the back end out even in 3rd gear!

May 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4,313 of 6,938
  I wouldn't be surprised, I know how great they are, I just don't need that portability.  I'm a pro trumpet player and make most of my music performing live without electronics.  All my recording and editing can be done at home, unless I need to record in a particular space for a certain acoustic.  Then, I'll take my mics and DAV BG-1 preamp with me, record into my PCM-M10 and deal with the rest back at home.  If I needed something powerful and portable, I might consider something like a macbook, but then again, having used Sonar for so long, I could just as easily end up getting a Windows laptop.  Apple will inevitably stop supporting your Macbook, making it redundant and forcing you to pay over the odds yet again for another one!

Anyway, back on topic, I've been enjoying Asseto Corsa recently.  I bought the test version through Steam and am racing with a G25 wheel.  The car handling physics are second to none and the modelling and tracks look beautiful.  Ragging a Ferrari F40 around Silverstone has never been so much fun!  It has eveil turbo lag that can kick the back end out even in 3rd gear!

I had Ferrari challenge on the dreamcast years ago and bought the steering wheel for it..it was just like the arcade machine at the time..only time I ever bought a steering wheel!

May 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #4,314 of 6,938

I had Ferrari challenge on the dreamcast years ago and bought the steering wheel for it..it was just like the arcade machine at the time..only time I ever bought a steering wheel!

Using a wheel is so much fun.  Some of my older games work really well with a wheel, Dirt 2 and NFS Shift come to mind.

May 18, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #4,319 of 6,938
The Last Of Us - PS3 - again.
STUNNING. my new favourite game of all time.
Vib Ribbon - PS1 - Still playing after 14 years. 
best game ever. Sounds great too... if you've ever played it you'll know what I mean. 
Jak and Daxter collection - Vita
Sounds awful, controls are shonky but it's still pretty fun.

Final Fantasy XIV - PS4 
Pretty! sounds great, plays well.

Aliens: Colonial Marines - PS3
Urgh... Completing purely to say I have then I can have an opinion on it. 
Sound is great though! 

May 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #4,320 of 6,938
Been playing a number of games lately, mostly games I've played and rated before, so I won't bother rating them, but two of them I've played with different experiences:

SWTOR: This time I have been playing it with a sub. Every other time I've played it I was on F2P, so the experience was considerably altered. Really, really love it, though. One of the few MMOs that pays any mind to story, and I just can't justify playing an MMO if it doesn't have a story. Proper cut scenes are nice, of course, though for side quests they are mostly just filler. Still, the gesture is nice.

I've been playing 2 main characters on it: A Jedi Guardian, which I got to 55, and a Sith Assassin, which I got to like 39. The guardian story was a little lame, but got good toward the end. I'm kind of curious to see how a Jedi Consular story plays out, but not sure I can justify playing one since I have the assassin.

Assassin story is a lot more interesting. The gameplay is, too, for that matter. And some of the tedium is cut away from moving through the world since you don't have to cut your way through hundreds of enemies.

Still yet to do any operations or flashpoints. Can't bring myself to be social, even in an MMO. Heh.

So, I'd probably give it a 9/10 with a sub. Not worth playing without one, honestly.

The other game I have been playing is Dragon's Dogma again. Or, rather, the Dark Arisen content.

I have a few issues with it, but overall, I like it.

I hate the reuse of assets. The new dungeon isn't even all that big, and it reuses whole chunks of levels multiple times. It gets really old, and seems downright lazy. The post-game dungeon in the vanilla game did this too, but to me it gets a pass since it really was just an extra dungeon, not extra content you pay for.

I also hate the new enemies. At least, the boss-type monsters. They all seem resistant to physical attacks, and they all have one-hit kill attacks. Playing on hard mode makes it especially hard, because enemies are practically immune to staggering and knock-down, so you can't cancel any uber attacks.

Still, there was some things to like about the new area. It generally had a really cool feel to it, and I like that they added more reason to do platforming. I also liked all the new equipment, and I LOVED the cursed equipment system. The Dragon Forge upgrading was also extremely cool.

For Dark Arisen, I'd probably give it a 7/10. I liked it well enough, but it was seriously flawed in a lot of ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back