Rate the video games you're currently playing
Mar 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #4,171 of 6,939
Recently beat The Last of Us, and am currently playing it on survivor mode.

Absolutely in love with it. I had heard it was a very story driven game, and that's what really pushed me into wanting to play it. The more I played it though, the more I realized that it was actually fairly light on story. It wasn't until after I beat it that I realized that, while it was light on cut scenes, (which I was hoping for more of) it's attention to detail in story scenes was better than almost any game out right now. Really, really top notch acting, great writing, and really smart use of editing got points across much better than longer scenes in story-driven games that I love. Most of the really emotional scenes in the game, while great in the moment, didn't really hit me until looking back at them later on.

The pacing in the game is perfect. Just, absolutely and completely perfect. It's probably 50% shooting/stealth'ing, and 50% just taking in the scenery and looking for supplies. I love it when games aren't trying to push you along the story too quickly, and let you stop and smell the roses, and this game is absolutely masterful at that. At there's plenty of reason to be thorough when looking around, since supplies are an absolute necessity, especially on survivor mode! Puzzles in the game are kind of cheesy and stupid, but they don't really detract from the game at all. Kind of wish more thought was put into them, but I can completely understand why there wasn't.

A 10/10 game, easily, and in my book, puts Naughty Dog in the 'legendary' status of game developers.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #4,172 of 6,939
Last of Us is potentially my favorite game of all time. With Uncharted, Earthbound, and Conkers Bad Fur Day following behind it. I do not think I have ever been so emotionally pulled into a game soo much before. I also found the ending to be perfect. Some people found it unsatisfying, but I can not really think of another ending that I would have been happy with. 

Naughty Dog has been my favorite developer for quite some time. I have the majority of their games. I even grew up with Crash Bandicoot 1-3 and absolutely loved CTR, then they released the Jak series which was ridiculously awesome, then I became instantly hooked with the first Uncharted which progressed into one of the best series of all time. I have pretty much been playing their games all my life, and I can not think of single developer that I even liked nearly as much. Maybe Rare when Rare was good (not the garbage they are now).

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #4,173 of 6,939
  Last of Us is potentially my favorite game of all time. With Uncharted, Earthbound, and Conkers Bad Fur Day following behind it. I do not think I have ever been so emotionally pulled into a game soo much before. I also found the ending to be perfect. Some people found it unsatisfying, but I can not really think of another ending that I would have been happy with. 

Naughty Dog has been my favorite developer for quite some time. I have the majority of their games. I even grew up with Crash Bandicoot 1-3 and absolutely loved CTR, then they released the Jak series which was ridiculously awesome, then I became instantly hooked with the first Uncharted which progressed into one of the best series of all time. I have pretty much been playing their games all my life, and I can not think of single developer that I even liked nearly as much. Maybe Rare when Rare was good (not the garbage they are now).

I completely agree.

Curing the infection would be a bit too easy of a conclusion, even at the cost of Ellie's life. I like the whole idea of the world fighting on.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #4,174 of 6,939
Currently Playing Diablo III. Graphics are great! I love it! Gameplay is addicting and the storyline is nice! VERY ADDICTING! I recommend this game for RPG lovers!

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #4,175 of 6,939
Super Mario World - 9/10

Playing this on my original SNES I got in 1995 or so. It seems to have lost something but still fun to play. I just went back to find all the 2nd exits from each level. Currently inside the Forest Area.
I actually think Yoshi's Island is a bit better, but this is still good.

This makes me remember the good ole days of playing SNES games with all my friends. Games like Zelda: ALTTP, Castlevania and Contra etc.
It's too bad that some of the games are hard to find as originals and cost up to $44.

BTW I really want to play Terranigma which is the sequel to Illusion of Gaia. I'd really hate to see how much Chrone Trigger used costs now...
Not going to download them..

I really need to buy the original Zelda for the NES. I never really got into that but finished Zelda 2 several times. Super Punchout and Tetris Attack were also favorites.

I wish Nintendo could make more 2d games. Their latest cartoony stuff looks hideous to me. Especially the latest Zelda game on the 3DS...sure I know it's fun.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #4,176 of 6,939

Is it better than Uncharted 2? That question can be for anyone.
I generally hate the idea of these movie-like cinematic games but Uncharted 2 is one of the firsts that did it right.
I've played that game over and over and even finished on Crushing without having tons of skill.

That game makes me regret ever selling my PS3 when I was running out of money. Sold the original brick version for $100. How stupid!

I have to say though that unfortunately my Xbox 360 got 3x as much use as the PS3. For me it's all about the games.

I'm waiting on the PS4 and Xbox One until I find out which ones have the best games. Of course it'll be whatever has Half Life 3 or Fallout 4!

Neither look good enough to buy yet. Not enough games.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,177 of 6,939

Is it better than Uncharted 2? That question can be for anyone.
I generally hate the idea of these movie-like cinematic games but Uncharted 2 is one of the firsts that did it right.
I've played that game over and over and even finished on Crushing without having tons of skill.

That game makes me regret ever selling my PS3 when I was running out of money. Sold the original brick version for $100. How stupid!

I have to say though that unfortunately my Xbox 360 got 3x as much use as the PS3. For me it's all about the games.

I'm waiting on the PS4 and Xbox One until I find out which ones have the best games. Of course it'll be whatever has Half Life 3 or Fallout 4!

Neither look good enough to buy yet. Not enough games.

I liked it better than Uncharted 2. That is saying a lot for me as Uncharted 2 was the best game out of the series over all. I still really like the story of Uncharted 1 and its a toss up between 1 and 2 for the best single player, 3 had the best multiplayer but had the worst single player (story wise) imo. None of the games were ever too difficult on crushing. 

Anyways  I still find Last of Us to trump all of them for single player. Uncharted plays out like a very very solid action movie, while Last of Us plays out more like a drama. Last of Us will send you through a roller coaster of emotions, and never feels like it plays it safe. This makes Last of Us pretty unpredictable plot wise, especially considering all the hardships the characters go through. I also found that Uncharted was well above average in character development, but Last of Us felt in another league. I never felt so emotionally attached to a character in a video game before. The game play was also pretty refreshing in Last of Us. While the easier difficulties remove some of the survival decisions you make, the hardest difficulty really forces you to make good decisions like avoiding contact or stealth killing people. The game really gets intense on the hardest difficulty, which is something that I found lacking in the Uncharted series. Last of Us is a top notch game despite being in an all too well known zombie genre.

The Uncharted multiplayer is much better, but Last of Us was ok. The Multiplayer relies on too much teamwork, and also relies on a lot of strategy and overall skill. Which is somewhat a good thing, but the game becomes very frustrating like Gears of War can get. Gears of War is great multiplayer wise if you have been playing it forever, but if you are brand new you really get your ass handed to you. Even when I was good at the game I still found my self raging pretty hard on my bad games. The MP becomes so intense its very annoying to lose.

If your interested in ever playing the game do not watch any footage (if you have not already), the game starts off quite emotional.

Also I am surprised you said you liked 360 better because of the games. I always felt that the PS3 was head and shoulders above 360 in exclusives. Granted it could just be my interest in games. Just to name some exclusives Infamous, Resistance, Uncharted, Twisted Metal (I loved this game, and do not understand the criticism), Heavy Rain, God of War, MGS4, Demons Souls, and more.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #4,178 of 6,939
  I liked it better than Uncharted 2. That is saying a lot for me as Uncharted 2 was the best game out of the series over all. I still really like the story of Uncharted 1 and its a toss up between 1 and 2 for the best single player, 3 had the best multiplayer but had the worst single player (story wise) imo. None of the games were ever too difficult on crushing. 

good lord? Really? the church assault in uncharted 1 on crushing? Grenade launchers and snipers everywhere.

Also, to the story of uncharted 3; I didn't mind the story so much.....but it just felt very underdeveloped. I got the impression they just wanted to rush something out the door to fill a "void" or keep up with the cawadooty crowd.

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #4,179 of 6,939
  good lord? Really? the church assault in uncharted 1 on crushing? Grenade launchers and snipers everywhere.

Also, to the story of uncharted 3; I didn't mind the story so much.....but it just felt very underdeveloped. I got the impression they just wanted to rush something out the door to fill a "void" or keep up with the cawadooty crowd.

I do not remember having too much troubles with it. Actually the part I had by far the most troubles on was Chapter 4 when you rope down the plane. If  you look online a lot of people struggle there as well. The church area is not too hard if you are careful and find good spots to pick characters off one by one iirc. In Uncharted 2 the only part I struggled was with Lazarevic but I think that was because I was tired from playing it all day, and I started playing like crap. I actually never went through Uncharted 3 on crushing. I was very disappointed by that game. I mean it was not a bad game by any means, but it did not compare to 1 and 2 for me.

Anyways received NFS Rivals for PS4 . As a very early first impression I would give it a 8.25 out of 10. I have only played the racing side of things. I really love the intense racing, but the cop chases are so overbearing its ridiculous. You can not explore the world without every single cop chasing you down. For some reason its nearly impossible to lose the cops. I was expecting there to be a lot of chases, but I did not expect it to be cop chasing 24/7. It ends up just becoming tiresome. Also there are random environment glitches that will crash your car, along with the checkpoints not always working if you take certain shortcuts. All of which being very frustrating. Either way its a good game, but its not a great game like it should be. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4,181 of 6,939
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition PS4 10/10- This is my first time playing through this game, and I am not fully finished yet but am getting close to the end. Game is a blast. The only negative is the supporting characters suck, but Lara Croft is so well done its easy to look past. The gameplay is top notch. I would say it is as good or better than Uncharted. The actual game play does bare a decent amount of resemblance to Uncharted, but throws in a bit of Zelda and RPG elements. The bow is ridiculously awesome if not a little overpowered when fully upgraded. A small complaint I have is that the side tombs are kinda lame. It generally is 1 quick puzzle which takes you no more than 5 minutes to complete, and I would like to have seen more as a small side level. The whole story is a bit cliche, but its not bad enough to ruin the experience.

The definitive edition overall is gorgeous. There are some grass and other effects that look last gen, but in its entirety it is quite pretty. I think if this game had a bit more pzazz (small details like tipping tables over as cover or chucking people off edges), and a lovable story line this game would be a true masterpiece. 

For those who have PS+, and own a PS3 DOWNLOAD IT NOW!!!

Oh and to add on my NFS Rivals review- My rating stays the same, but I have to add on that the cop career feels like an after thought. Is nowhere near as intense as the racer story, neither is it as hard. It is still a decently fun game. If one thing were to bug me about this game is there are some really cool cars trapped in DLC hell (XJ220), and they should have been added to increase the length. Otherwise I am not a huge Lambo or Ferrari fan and they cram those cars down your throat. The only car I looked forward to the entire time was the Huarya, and where the heck was my GTR??? Its in every other loading screen... Sigh...

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #4,182 of 6,939
I'm currently playing Borderlands 2. Am I the only one here thinks Borderlands sucks? i don't know why it  became the game of the year. But the dialogues makes me laugh. I'll give them that! LOL

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #4,183 of 6,939
  I'm currently playing Borderlands 2. Am I the only one here thinks Borderlands sucks? i don't know why it  became the game of the year. But the dialogues makes me laugh. I'll give them that! LOL

It's best played with 3 other friends.
Playing it alone is really like sentencing yourself to a few weeks office work, hard grinding away for experience points. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #4,184 of 6,939
That's not my only concern about the game. The whole gameplay makes me shake my head. The interface for me is bad, the skills and everything is rumbled. It's hard to get used to and it will take a lot of your time to get all the mechanics of the game. It's tiring and for me it is boring. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4,185 of 6,939
  That's not my only concern about the game. The whole gameplay makes me shake my head. The interface for me is bad, the skills and everything is rumbled. It's hard to get used to and it will take a lot of your time to get all the mechanics of the game. It's tiring and for me it is boring. 

I guess you don't play many first person shooters.
I've been playing FPS games for about 19 years, and found the controls and mechanics adequately intuitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back