Rate the video games you're currently playing
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3,932 of 6,937
Did you play Metro 2033 before? I Buy this game on Xbox 360 and read a lot about, some people say that i need to play 2033 before, i want to be sure to understand all the history

No, I got metro 2033 and last light as a bundle, (payed around $14) I just started playing 2033 now.. (I know I shouldn't be going in opposite order)

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #3,934 of 6,937
  Last Question, did you understand the history behind Last Light just with playing? did you find references or so?

For the most part, although now when I'm playing 2033 I understand things differently. I recommend playing this after 2033, I just wasn't patient enough to wait for the second download to finish so I started playing last light and steam stops the downloads when you play a game (to prevent LAG in case you play online. I finished the game in one week..

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #3,935 of 6,937
Gran Turismo 6

7/10 - Same old, same old. Career mode and AI are as boring as ever. Vehicle sound is still fairly lacklustre. Track selection is decent. Vehicle selection is also nice and big but you'll only ever use a fraction of them anyway. Physics are a fair bit better which really makes up for a lot of the disappointing areas. Overall an incremental improvement rather than an evolutionary step. I'll be very interested to see what PD brings to the table for the PS4 in the coming years.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,936 of 6,937
  Gran Turismo 6

7/10 - Same old, same old. Career mode and AI are as boring as ever. Vehicle sound is still fairly lacklustre. Track selection is decent. Vehicle selection is also nice and big but you'll only ever use a fraction of them anyway. Physics are a fair bit better which really makes up for a lot of the disappointing areas. Overall an incremental improvement rather than an evolutionary step. I'll be very interested to see what PD brings to the table for the PS4 in the coming years.

Considering the flagship game at the moment on the XB1 is Forza 5, and Forza is only slightly better graphically, I would say that's a huge accomplishment for a system that's 7 years old.

No micro transactions, having to level to get a car (only need enough money), better lighting, and better physics, I think they did about as well as anyone could hope for on such old hardware.

As for "boring", it's a racing simulator. Sometimes driving around the track over and over can be boring :).

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #3,937 of 6,937

Considering the flagship game at the moment on the XB1 is Forza 5, and Forza is only slightly better graphically, I would say that's a huge accomplishment for a system that's 7 years old.

No micro transactions, having to level to get a car (only need enough money), better lighting, and better physics, I think they did about as well as anyone could hope for on such old hardware.

As for "boring", it's a racing simulator. Sometimes driving around the track over and over can be boring :).

To be fair Forza 5 was a pretty big disappointment, for me at least. Pathetic track selection, no day night progression, and the thing that annoyed me the most was lack of wheel support for the current Fanatec range...

Visuals in GT6 are ok, nothing special to be honest. The increased jagginess doesn't do the game any favours either.

As for physics, I do have to agree that GT in general has a better feel. Especially when it comes to the canned weight transfer mechanic. Forza for me has always felt a bit loose/light (bad descriptions, I know) although I must say that their tyre mechanics are nice.

There are micro transactions, and to get the really expensive cars you are unfortunately forced to grind for money.

As for the boring part, all I was referring to was the actual challenge that the AI opponents put up and a career mode which to me is even worse than what they had in GT5 (this is one area where I think PD really needs to take a good hard look at...). I don't find putting laps in boring at all, hell the amount of time I've spent just trying to learn new cars and perfect racing lines is honestly pretty lame. As for the 'racing simulator' element, it's just not. If you want a simulator then it's hard to go past the likes of NKP, iRacing, or even AC. Gran Turismo (like Forza) will always be firmly in the simcade category, which is fine as honestly I find that they offer the best balance of fun and realism.

I don't know maybe I'm being overly critical of GT6, maybe I've just been spoiled by the likes of PCARS and AC, or maybe I was just hoping for more. Either way 7/10 isn't bad at all.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #3,938 of 6,937
I wasn't disagreeing with your review. I think it's pretty spot on. Just impressed at how we can look at a game on 7 year old hardware, and compare it to software running on the latest the industry has to offer.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #3,939 of 6,937
I wasn't disagreeing with your review. I think it's pretty spot on. Just impressed at how we can look at a game on 7 year old hardware, and compare it to software running on the latest the industry has to offer.

I'm one of those that shares the opinion that the newest generation of consoles are nothing more than the manufacturers desire to milk more money from consumers and offer no advancement to the gaming community. There is practically no other reason for these machines to exist when the limits of the last generation of consoles hasn't been reached as is evident by the fact that many of the titles that are being released for the PS4 and XB1 are also simultaneously being released on the PS3 and XB360.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #3,940 of 6,937

I'm one of those that shares the opinion that the newest generation of consoles are nothing more than the manufacturers desire to milk more money from consumers and offer no advancement to the gaming community. There is practically no other reason for these machines to exist when the limits of the last generation of consoles hasn't been reached as is evident by the fact that many of the titles that are being released for the PS4 and XB1 are also simultaneously being released on the PS3 and XB360.

I could not disagree with you more.

The latest consoles have done what every other latest consoles have done. They greatly improve the power and support the latest TV standards (other then Wii). The problem is last time around the current gen of tech was just coming out. So there is no where for the consoles to go with respect to huge jumps in quality. 1080p was out, blu-ray disks were out.

I was more giving credit to what the developers were able to pull out of hardware that's 7 years old. In no way bashing what the new consoles are. For the games that have been released on both generations, take a look at how much better they are on the latest one. It's night and day.

And COD 3 and Madden 07 both came out on the PS3/360, and the PS2/xbox. That's what you do when a new console comes out. You release your game across both gens so you can actually sell enough of them to justify the cost of making them.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #3,941 of 6,937
Started playing Dragon's Dogma. Really liking it so far. When I first saw it I had thought it was a poor man's Dark Souls or something, but it's actually very different. The world seems really huge right now, and I kind of like how it's sort of linear, but still very open. It's just a shame that it seems like it's mostly just empty space, but that could just be because I'm only about 7 hours in. My biggest problem with the game so far is that no matter what's going on on screen, it has yet to get a frame rate as high as 30FPS. It's like... Really, really bad, dropping into the single digit framerate when action is heavy. And it's not really all that good looking to justify how poorly it runs. Kind of hoping dropping it down to 480p will make it run a little better.

Still, I'd probably give the game about an 8/10. It does enough right to keep me coming back, despite the framerate issues.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,942 of 6,937
Started playing Starbound (beta), so it's kinda difficult to rate considering it's not finished... but I'd definitely give it an 'awesome' out of 'perfect'. 
I enjoyed Terraria a fair bit, and I can already tell this is on a completely different level (in a good way) despite only having clocked about 3 hours of game time.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #3,943 of 6,937
  Gran Turismo 6

I just wanted to comment on this. Not bashing on anything said in your review or after it. I am a huge gran turismo fan, but the problem with it is it only appeals to a very select audience. Which is most likely some like me who wants to drive a huge selection of cars (as a car enthusiast), but is not really good enough or serious enough to really enjoy a full out sim. Yes the argument comes up half the cars are probably not going to be used. However I enjoy the amount of useless cars as I can drive the exact model car I own in real life, or I can enjoy picking out the one car I want to import from japan. While it may seem redundant to put every model of certain cars into the game, there are differences to each model, and the fact I can drive the exact dream car I want is pretty awesome in my opinion. It also appears that GT6 has the most content, but yet still feels somewhat like a sim. Forza has always felt too arcadey to me to compare to GT6. I do however agree with the sound (I do find Forza's sounds to be kind of obnoxious though), and I hate the graphical 2d back drops found on a lot of the tracks. This game does feel like the true GT5 though, which I am incredibly happy with.

Anyways the game I have been playing most lately is Radiant Silvergun on the saturn in which I give a 10/10. If I reviewed this game the week I got it I probably would have given it a 5/10 and thought it was one of the most overrated shmups of all time. I was seriously contemplating to sell it (it cost me approx $100) as I was severely disappointed the first day of playing it. However after putting some serious game time into it, I fully see how in depth this game is. Despite its ridiculous overblown hype the game is surprisingly worth every penny. I still suck at shmups, and it shocks me somebody can 1 credit clear a shmup that lasts an hour and a half (in saturn mode). This is a truly game, and if your into shmups, and own a 360 buy the cheap XBLA version as this game is in a league of its own. (As a quick background I have and enjoy a lot of Shoot em ups, but suck at nearly all of them).

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #3,944 of 6,937
  Started playing Starbound (beta), so it's kinda difficult to rate considering it's not finished... but I'd definitely give it an 'awesome' out of 'perfect'. 
I enjoyed Terraria a fair bit, and I can already tell this is on a completely different level (in a good way) despite only having clocked about 3 hours of game time.

I agree that it's pretty awesome. I also enjoyed Terraria quite a bit. This feels like the v2.0 of Terraria taken to a whole new level. I probably have about 15 hours on it. 
It is lacking a lot of features that are going to be put in still. Most of which don't really hamper game play too much.

1. One is that you cannot sell items to merchants, *yet*. Since the in game currency of 'pixels' is pretty important in the game, it can be a bit of a grind at times when you need larger quantities. There are some good ways to get it though if you really need. 

1. There are a lot of blueprints that are for sale but that are missing pictures/data so you can buy them, but they do nothing.

1. Still some glitches with the crafting programs and what will choose to appear and not at certain times, but hasn't been an issue 99.5% of the time. 

1. Travel is cool, the animation is a little too long though, with seemingly endless options. I'd love to see a record system to know where you've been since there is no way to remember unless you start a word document with the names of the planets/coordinates.

1. (Edited for addition) - Almost forgot this one: No way to pause. Tabbing the game won't pause like in Terraria. I'm sure they'll add one soon. 

None of those things stops me from enjoying the game: However, the one real issue I have with the game that I'm not 100% sure will be solved is the need for caves/digging deep.

In Terraria, digging to the core is an inevitable factor necessary to the players progression. It really isn't in Starbound. Most of the best weapons/useful items can be obtained by simply surface scavenging. Since planets/moons don't end but are a circle, you can go to a new place and run a lap around the planet looking for:

villages, sky ships, temples, prisons (one of my favorite so far), and other "dungeon" like areas. 

You don't come across nearly the volume of items by digging and the time that it requires is more than triple. Most of the ores can be found near the surface,

especially after you change from "A" systems to "B". 

Enough about the minor beta optimizations and tell you one thing I really enjoy, THE MUSIC. So far there hasn't been a huge variety, but the soundtrack is engaging. Part of the reason it's hard for me to stop playing is that the theme music sucks me in and just keep me there. It takes me back to when I was a very young gamer and the classic game theme songs that I can still remember note for note. 

I'm having a lot of fun playing it. You can tell there are a lot of features in place that just need to be finalized. 
Right now I would rate the game a 7.5/10 which is really good. It has the potential to be a solid 9-9.5 over the coming months when they finish implementing the designs that are already in place. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #3,945 of 6,937

Enough about the minor beta optimizations and tell you one thing I really enjoy, THE MUSIC. So far there hasn't been a huge variety, but the soundtrack is engaging. Part of the reason it's hard for me to stop playing is that the theme music sucks me in and just keep me there. It takes me back to when I was a very young gamer and the classic game theme songs that I can still remember note for note. 

YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back