Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 6, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #121 of 6,943
Ultimate Alliance (Wii) - 6/10 - I've played the X-men Legends series and found it to be very fun (albeit with 3 othe people, very boring single player). For the Wii, it took some time to get used to the controller, but it's not too bad after 15 minutes of play. The Wii controls are horrible compared to the PS2 controller. First, you don't have to do any motions with the Wii-mote, you can just press buttons. It's not bad, but it could be better as some specials require scrolling to use. Story wise, it's ok. I guess after Magneto and Apocalypse, the bosses in Ultimate Alliance are just dull. They're also ridiculously easy to beat (hold block and throw in a punch here and there and eventually, he'll die). It's a decent game to pass time with friends, but I can't recommend anyone to run out and buy it.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #122 of 6,943
Quote:

I much prefer FFVI and FFT

hmm, i did beat both of these games and do find final fantasy vii to be a bit overrated but yes, vi is way better than part vii and actually part iv as well. tactics though? i'm not so sure, maybe same rating as vii for me. but i remember my calculators were pretty bad ass in that game haha.
Quote:

It's not the same playing it again today.

well thats you man. i haven't played this game in 5 years and it's still fun to play.

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #123 of 6,943
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warriors, brings back old memories of the movie. Background setting reminds me of the old New York in the 70's. But the game's save is limited only to after you finish a level. Frustrating sometimes because I don't like to sit and play for more than an hour to save my progress. But if you like Double Dragon type beat em up games, this is a good one. 7/10 because the overall fun can sometimes get repetitive or frustrating.

I thought the warriors (ps2) was a good game too, but I got bored halfway cause every level seemed almost the same. There's only so much graffiti a man can paint...

(never watched the movie)

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #124 of 6,943
I'm playing an old xbox game: "Call of Cthulu". It is rather dated on mechanics and graphics, but since it is done with a nice, "noir" feel it is still good to look at and a lot of fun.

Also tried "Gears of War"--I'm not into straight shooters so much....

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #127 of 6,943
nabwong, nice to hear that you jumped on the bandwagon...

i have at least 40 to 50 hours in that game.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #129 of 6,943
Oblivion is really sweet, but I'm not really a big fan of the auto balance with enemies. IE they're placed on the same level (or slightly higher) as your are. Towards the end of the game some of the battles get frustratingly difficult.

So no matter how much you grind, you'll never be able to easily kick a bear's ass
frown.gif

Gothic 3 on the other hand is like the exact opposite
tongue.gif

Starts off frustratingly difficult (damn you wild boars
mad.gif
), but after leveling up you can basically turn into a god and wipe out an entire town.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #130 of 6,943
FF IV FTW!!!

Okami has been in my PS2 almost nonstop since I got it. I am currently on my second play through it (about 60hrs alltogether) and I am still not tired of it. Great story, gameplay, characters, and graphics. 10/10 (best of '06 IMO)

Final Fantasy XII is pretty much the only other game that has been in my PS2 since last September. I love the story, but I can't seem to fall in love with the characters the way I have in previous FF games. Beautiful game though. Over 70 hrs and I still haven't beaten it yet. 8/10

Shadow of the Colossus hasn't been in my system much since I beat it late last year, but whenever I do put it in, I usually play for a couple of hours, even if I am just running around the countryside. For anybody that says game can't impact you emotionally, play through this game. This game has one of the most heart-wrenching endings I have ever witnessed, game or otherwise. 10/10 (best of '05 IMO, with RE4 in a close 2nd)

Rez is one of those game where I have to be in just the right mood to play, but when it is right, it is awesome. One of the most artistic games I have ever played, and the music is pretty good (love the song on lvl 5). This game rocks hard with a good stereo setup, and even better with headphones. The only flaw I see in this game is the fact that it ends. Another 10/10.

To those Drakengard fans way back in the thread, the acceptable language rules in the forum don't allow me to discuss the events that lead up to the ending of that game. What starts as a simple "Rescue your sister from the clutches of an evil Empire, turns to, well... "what happens at the end of the game". Definently not your cookie cutter fantasy story. I never could get the true ending though, as the grinding for all the weapons just killed it for me. Is the true ending worth it? 7/10 (original and twisted story, great panzer dragoon style shooter sequences, but somewhat slow dynasty warrior style fighting)

Misc games that ROCK but didn't sell well: Beyond Good and Evil, ICO, Primal, Shin Megami Tensei series, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Outcast, Haunting Ground, and many others.

Well, time to beat FFXII so I can finally start Rogue Galaxy.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #131 of 6,943
Quote:

To those Drakengard fans way back in the thread, the acceptable language rules in the forum don't allow me to discuss the events that lead up to the ending of that game. What starts as a simple "Rescue your sister from the clutches of an evil Empire, turns to, well... "what happens at the end of the game". Definitely not your cookie cutter fantasy story. I never could get the true ending though, as the grinding for all the weapons just killed it for me. Is the true ending worth it? 7/10 (original and twisted story, great panzer dragoon style shooter sequences, but somewhat slow dynasty warrior style fighting)

The last boss is VERY hard. The ending is very anticlimactic and even a little sad, especially after all you went through to get there.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #133 of 6,943
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oblivion is really sweet, but I'm not really a big fan of the auto balance with enemies. IE they're placed on the same level (or slightly higher) as your are. Towards the end of the game some of the battles get frustratingly difficult.

+1

I really hate the autobalance in Oblivion. It's acceptable for bosses and "event" fights, but when you apply it to even the dinky bad guys, it really screws up game pacing.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #135 of 6,943
FF VI is the greatest FF of all time, one of the greatest rpgs period
Tactics is second,
VII comes in at a not too distant third.

Its nice to see VI and tactics get some respect.

Oh, and IMO Oblivion only gets better and better. I'm at well over 100 hours and still loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back