Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #14,388 of 24,645
Just watched The World's End with the ever witty Simon Pegg.

I just love this guy since I saw him in Shaun of the Dead.

Some funny bits in the movie for sure, kind of an interesting storyline to say the least.

7/10 - maybe fractionally lower

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #14,393 of 24,645
  That's a good Anime, and yes those facial expressions are memorable and hard to get out your mind after seeing it.  The best anime I've seen so far is is "Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade"  - 10/10.

Have to try that later today maybe 

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #14,397 of 24,645
I was very surprised when I saw the rating of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ( 2013) - 94%. I watched the first movie and thought that it was highly overrated and PR'ed on purpose. The reasons of it I see in that the movie is a successor to another franchise - Twilight saga and also aimed at teenagers ( especially female teens). 

During watching this movie today I again ( it happens more often lately) started to feel unsatisfied with commercial mainstream cinema which goal is purely to entertain. Everything about this pompous fantasy felt fake and very far from reality. An idea about ripping off themes from Roman Empire history including even borrowing names of famous philosophers and writers ( Seneca, Plutarch, Caesar) and Latin sounding places made by writer Suzanne Collins seems to me silly and awkward. And not only this. Incorporating into the story elements of compassion and self-sacrifice also seems fake and unconvincing. Jennifer Lawrence's performance who is so praised by everyone is surprisingly unconvincing: her emotions be it love, enthusiasm of a social fighter were difficult to believe. I saw only one expression on her face during the whole movie. We have to keep in mind that the target audience of the movie are teens and therefore the level of maturity should be pretty low. Well, Ender's Game which flopped was also aimed at young people but it was more substantial and true to life. 

The Hunger Games 2 succeeds just because it falls into fashionable trend while Ender's Game doesn't. The problem is that critics who should help the viewers to discern shallow from good quality cinema showed their irrelevance in this particular case.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #14,398 of 24,645
"The Impossible" [8.7/10]: Considering that this film was based on a true story, the title is very appropriate. A family on vacation finds itself involved in a battle for survival as a result of one of the greatest tragedies in history. Definitely an emotionally engaging film. I didn't really expect much from it going in, but it turned out to be a good movie. I cared about the characters. I wanted things to turn out well for them. Recommended...

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #14,399 of 24,645

If you like movies about holes you may also want to try "The Hole" from director Tsai Ming-Liang of Taiwan or the Disney movie "Holes".
"Holes" is actually pretty good despite being a Disney movie.

Luckily i've never seen a movie that was so bad to get a 1.5/10. So far the worst of the year have been "To the Wonder" and "On the Road".

I doubt Tsai would appeal to a lot of viewers of head fi.  He's an acquired taste, and Rebels of a Neon God is an easier intro to his style than The Hole.  

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #14,400 of 24,645
This was a must see for me, as it had three of my favorite actors of all time - Alan Arkin, Christopher Walken, and Al Pacino. Although the story itself wasn't anything special, seeing these three guys on screen together was a real treat, especially now that they're in their latter years. I had a blast with it...

"Stand-up Guys" - 8.3/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back