Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #14,373 of 24,645
House of Flying Daggers (2004): 8/10

More than makes up for its thin plot, characterizations, and cheap twists with the sheer magic and beauty of its visuals and the creativity of its elaborate fight sequences. Just on a purely visual level this may be one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen (complete with some of the most beautiful actors). There is one scene (regarding a sudden seasonal shift) in particular that steals the air from my lungs every time I see it. It's a shame the plot feels so cheap and flimsy--but honestly, if you're at all a sucker for a good looking film, the plot will probably only just barely register anyways--it does a good enough job of moving the audience from one majestically shot fight to another, and in this case, that's really all that matters. 

Oblivion (2013): 5/10

In a study of contrast, here's a film that can't be saved by it's wonderful visuals--mostly because it doesn't want to be about them. It wants to be an 'idea' sci-fi--the problem being that Joseph Kosinski's best ideas are all about the design of his films, and not much else. (He also directed the vapid but visually fascinating Tron: Legacy.) Most of what this film does has been done numerous times (and much better) in sci-fi films before; for a recent example, check out Moon. I'm also quite certain at this point that the man doesn't know how to properly pace a film, nor has he yet come to realize the value of subtlety. (The final confrontation with the Big Bad is almost laughable in its symbolic obviousness.) Still, it's got its redeeming values. Cruise gives a decent performance, though its Andrea Riseborough's steely, creepy role as Victoria that steals the show. M83's soundtrack is fine, if too bombastic. And the aforementioned visuals are indeed quite stunning. Otherwise there's not much to write home about. 

Nebraska (2013): 9/10

I always expect good things from director Alexander Payne and his dramadies, and I'm never disappointed. Nebraska may lack the slightly more star-filled casting of many of his previous films, but, a few minor roles aside, the performances are heartfelt and memorable, and Payne's assured direction and sharp (maybe too sharp) voice come through strongly (interesting, since as far as I know he didn't contribute directly to the screenplay). One could argue that Payne makes fun of his characters more than he sympathizes with them, which perhaps isn't exactly a point in his favor, but its hard to find fault in his style when its executed this well. One of the best movies I've seen in a theatre this year. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #14,374 of 24,645
Bastards (2013)

Damn this was a grim movie.  It's a neo-noir with the weight of a Greek tragedy.  I'm a fan of the director's other films so I really like her unique narrative style but it might turn off a lot of viewers due to the opacity of her characters.  The ending jaw-droppingly disturbing.  

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #14,377 of 24,645

The Hole   1.5/10 

it made me order a pizza...

If you like movies about holes you may also want to try "The Hole" from director Tsai Ming-Liang of Taiwan or the Disney movie "Holes".
"Holes" is actually pretty good despite being a Disney movie.

Luckily i've never seen a movie that was so bad to get a 1.5/10. So far the worst of the year have been "To the Wonder" and "On the Road".

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #14,380 of 24,645
The Purge (2013) - interesting idea...but poorly laid out on screen. It would have been nice if the movie was not centered around one damned house but rather touched on different event in the World related to the Annual Purge Event.

5.5/10

--------------

Thor: The Dark World (2013) - Much better than I thought. Great villain played by talented Eccleston. The humor in it was good. Fight scenes whet viewers appetites. Sets the table for more...

8/10

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #14,381 of 24,645

If you like movies about holes you may also want to try "The Hole" from director Tsai Ming-Liang of Taiwan or the Disney movie "Holes".
"Holes" is actually pretty good despite being a Disney movie.

Luckily i've never seen a movie that was so bad to get a 1.5/10. So far the worst of the year have been "To the Wonder" and "On the Road".

Yeah "Holes" is a pretty good movie...  

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #14,382 of 24,645

Yeah that movie was a disgrace to the game. The games themselves were a playable movie. Ah well...very few games make to the big screen successfully anyways.

Agreed, the game was awesome. Way back when the game was first released, lost a lot of sleep staying up late playing it. Too bad the movie sucked, seen the trailers in the theaters and thought it was a joke.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #14,385 of 24,645
I fell asleep, twice, watching Oblivion. 

Actually it nearly cost me dearly as I was wearing my d7k's though luckily I hit my bed/duvet face down first. On either side and something would have broke. 

As for the movie - all that I can remember is tom cruise wearing a white space jacket/trousers and a few spherical bots spinning around aimlessly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back