Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #14,221 of 24,645
Can't believe there's only like two people on here that have seen Captain Phillips :frowning2:

I'll take a shot and go with the notion that this story was previously well documented in print and film very recently.

Given that I had already read most of the storyline in print and watched both documentaries: Discovery Channel Somali Pirate Takedown: The Real Story (2009) and National Geographic Hunt for the Somali Pirates (2010), really took the wind out of the Captain Phillips sails for me.

If you are not a complete Tom Hanks fan, you would steer away from this movie, knowing it's mainly his mug on screen carrying the show and a few pirates on a boat for two hours.
Gravity still held its own over this one even during the opening weekend, people are just enamored with those effects, far larger than the vastness of the oceans...

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #14,222 of 24,645
  Can't believe there's only like two people on here that have seen Captain Phillips
frown.gif

I would have definitely watched this but a local release date will be only in December. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #14,224 of 24,645
I'll take a shot and go with the notion that this story was previously well documented in print and film very recently.

Given that I had already read most of the storyline in print and watched both documentaries: Discovery Channel Somali Pirate Takedown: The Real Story (2009) and National Geographic Hunt for the Somali Pirates (2010), really took the wind out of the Captain Phillips sails for me.

If you are not a complete Tom Hanks fan, you would steer away from this movie, knowing it's mainly his mug on screen carrying the show and a few pirates on a boat for two hours.
Gravity still held its own over this one even during the opening weekend, people are just enamored with those effects, far larger than the vastness of the oceans...

I've seen a number of documentaries and that makes me all the more egar to see how accurate the movie is also

EPIC 11/10... seriously though... watch it BOTH movies

Mind Games is really unique, wonderful for it's originality 

and 

The Mask... for well Jim Carrey as Stanely Ipkiss 

as a matter of fact I enjoy the mask so much I'm going to read the comic 

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #14,225 of 24,645
Philips is probably just another "based on a real story" where nothing real is left :)

Philips was quite a ****** bag I have heard but I don´t believe he will be portraited like that by mr Tom Hanks :wink:

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #14,226 of 24,645
  Philips is probably just another "based on a real story" where nothing real is left :)

Philips was quite a ****** bag I have heard but I don´t believe he will be portraited like that by mr Tom Hanks :wink:

Yeah, its stirred up a controversy alright.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #14,231 of 24,645
EPIC 11/10
Mind Game is really unique, wonderful for it's originality 

What I got out of it:
To live true to yourself, sincerely, without restraint!
I realized it's the only weapon against any wall.

Have fun and become a man.
Not a clone but someone who transcends.

Not being an ardent fan of Japanese animation film with subtitles, I almost shut this one down after the first 30 minutes.
Much like the queer humor of Beavis and Butt-Head or Ren and Stimpy, it is hit and miss.
An art house animation with plenty of randomness, it took some time for the scenes not to feel pointless.
Although disorienting, no doubt it's become a cult trip fest for the psychedelically inclined.
Obscure with a few gems sprinkled throughout.

For myself, even if Mind Game is not for younger audiences, the children's cut out animation called Angela Anaconda (1999) came to mind after scenes like this:

Odd like James and the Giant Peach (1996) with the weird sexual innuendos of Howard Stern combined.
Dear Howard with stuff like this:
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/jkpE2HtWZvI[/VIDEO]

Still, I'd go for a second viewing of South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999) or Team America: World Police (2004)
Both of these left a larger impression for me in their day, thanks for the tip none the less.

Mind Game 7/10 (2004)

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #14,232 of 24,645
What I got out of it:
To live true to yourself, sincerely, without restraint!
I realized it's the only weapon against any wall.

Have fun and become a man.
Not a clone but someone who transcends.

Not being an ardent fan of Japanese animation film with subtitles, I almost shut this one down after the first 30 minutes.
Much like the queer humor of Beavis and Butt-Head or Ren and Stimpy, it is hit and miss.
An art house animation with plenty of randomness, it took some time for the scenes not to feel pointless.
Although disorienting, no doubt it's become a cult trip fest for the psychedelically inclined.
Obscure with a few gems sprinkled throughout.

For myself, even if Mind Game is not for younger audiences, the children's cut out animation called Angela Anaconda (1999) came to mind after scenes like this:

Odd like James and the Giant Peach (1996) with the weird sexual innuendos of Howard Stern combined.
Dear Howard with stuff like this:
Still, I'd go for a second viewing of South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999) or Team America: World Police (2004)
Both of these left a larger impression for me in their day, thanks for the tip none the less.

Mind Game 7/10 (2004)

Glad you some what enjoyed it, I like trippy Anime movies, and the... psudeo realistic art cut ins are part of the magic honestly! 

That said I took a trip into hell today...

... is a -10/10 possible.... either way this movie is terrible... and yet I have memories watching it on Public TV growing up... that's even scarier imo 

In my opinion, one of the best performances of Jim Carrey was on The Mask, I loved how he worked with the charachter.

I also loved him in that movies, the 90's was a good year for Carrey... still after reading the "The Mask" comic... I enjoy the Movie even more so! Carrey just captures Big Head so well, not to mention the movie keeps the darker mature overtones in it as well! 

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #14,234 of 24,645
This movie has received luke warm reviews, so I'll preface this by saying I've always been fascinated with the events of 11-22-63. I've seen several documentaries on Kennedy, Oswald, and the issues and people who were involved on that tragic day. Similar to how I feel when I see something on 9/11, it really affects me on an emotional level and I never seem to develop any sort of numbness or emotional distance from the events. The Kennedy Assassination took place a decade before I was born, so this movie fascinated me. I don't know how true to events it was, but as someone in the medical field, it was interesting, frustrating, stressful, and sad to see how Parkland Hospital responded to the President. I"m not saying he would have been viable even in today's trauma centers, but clearly we've come a long way in terms of our medical care and preparedness. Anyway, this movie assumes that the viewer already knows the details surrounding this tragedy, so it doesn't function as a linear narrative. Everything is related, of course, but it offers several perspectives and sort of jumps around from one to the next. I thought it was very well done. 

"Parkland" - 8.4/10

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #14,235 of 24,645
  If you like weird (and sometimes creepy) anime that are also good and enjoyable to watch find some films by Satoshi Kon, e.g. Paprika.

I watched Predators (2010) on the weekend 'cause it was on tv... I'll be generous and give it 3/10.

I like Paprika 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back