Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #13,546 of 24,653
I have not heard of D-Box until just now.

Cineplex has also rolled out SuperTicket.
$35.00 includes both a movie ticket and a voucher for a pre-order of the digital download that can be redeemed on Cineplex's online store.
It's $41.00 for D-BOX 3D and you get bonus content with your download plus 500 scene points.
The online version will become available to you around the time it's headed to DVD.
Digital copies will be in Ultraviolet, which allows sharing of the digital downloads on multiple devices like desktop, laptop and tablet computers or smartphones.

There was a similar mainstream ride in 1994 at Canada's Wonderland amusement park, called Action Theater.
You watched a movie based on of Days of Thunder and the seats lurched side to side and front to back, later on a 3D film was added.

I rather enjoyed D-BOX, it kept me from squirming around, trying to tame the dreaded numb bum in a theater seat.
D-BOX is not at all like a midway ride, you can shut it off or set it to low/normal/high.
Each seat has a weight sensor, so unoccupied seats do not move.
There were two whole rows G and H dedicated to new D-BOX seating in a standard theater.
MFX stands for motion effects, programmed to each seat via a unique waveform developed for each movie.
The signal sent to the actuators under the seat didn't really make me feel any more immersed, I will say again I liked the massage!

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #13,547 of 24,653
Ah...now I see, there's a sub under the seat for all the vibrations.

Pacific Rim wasn't shot in 3D. Del Toro didn't want to shoot it in 3D because he was going for the traditional movie look, but the studio insisted.
The 3D after conversion is never really good. The last movie I watched in 3D was Star Trek and yeah, except a few scenes, you don't really feel it much.

I watched Pacific Rim in the film version (i.e. not digital projection). The effect was nostalgic.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #13,548 of 24,653
Ah...now I see, there's a sub under the seat for all the vibrations.

It works like this:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Z73m5xQPLtY[/VIDEO]

I realize this film was not shot in 3D, I went to check in on the post-conversion result.
Shot on Red: http://www.red.com/

Here is why it was likely available in 3D:
There may be larger issues at play in Warner Bros. decision to release Pacific Rim in 3D.
China is a huge market for American films, and currently the country will only allow American films to screen if they are in 3D or IMAX.
Pacific Rim boasts an international cast and a great deal of the action takes place in Japan, so Warner Bros. understandably would like to take full advantage of the film’s appeal to the Asian market.

source: collider.com

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #13,549 of 24,653
The Thick Walled Room - 7/10

Movie about Japanese prisoners after WWII being held for war crimes.
There's a lot of interesting stuff in here you rarely hear about inside the USA.
The acting from the americans was rather bad and it was probably dubbed I think.

Got this in the boxed set from Criterion called "Masaki Kobayashi Against the System".
I don't know if the sale is still on, but you can get it for 50% off at Barnes and Noble.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #13,550 of 24,653
Life of Pi
9.5/10
Great story, amazing visuals and very emotional ending. Its one of the best movies i've seen this year. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #13,551 of 24,653
Quote:
It works like this:

I realize this film was not shot in 3D, I went to check in on the post-conversion result.
Shot on Red: http://www.red.com/

Here is why it was likely available in 3D:
There may be larger issues at play in Warner Bros. decision to release Pacific Rim in 3D.
China is a huge market for American films, and currently the country will only allow American films to screen if they are in 3D or IMAX.
Pacific Rim boasts an international cast and a great deal of the action takes place in Japan, so Warner Bros. understandably would like to take full advantage of the film’s appeal to the Asian market.

source: collider.com

Ok, thanks for the info.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #13,552 of 24,653
Akira (1988): 8/10

It's not terribly deep or written particularly well--even at two hours in length, the film suffers from feeling rushed, especially with regards to the characterization. Still, as a wondrously bloody and kinetic slice of anime film-making, it holds up ridiculously well. For better or for worse, I feel like we have Akira to thank for the direction that much of modern action anime has taken. It also boasts its fair share of memorable images and iconography--few animated films contain as many iconic scenes as this one does, and fewer films period host such a strange and lovely soundtrack. Certainly a strong recommendation for anime fans if you've somehow gone your entire life without seeing it yet. Others will probably need to be eased into it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #13,553 of 24,653
The Lone Ranger: uninspired, directionless, tacky, ham-handed and entirely forgettable. The visuals, while impressive, did not make up for the utter dearth of talent in both the writing and directing . The acting was second rate at best and flat out pathetic at its worst. Without Johny Depp this movie wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar. 3/10 -1 for the cg rabbit at the end.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #13,554 of 24,653
Quote:
The Lone Ranger: uninspired, directionless, tacky, ham-handed and entirely forgettable. The visuals, while impressive, did not make up for the utter dearth of talent in both the writing and directing . The acting was second rate at best and flat out pathetic at its worst. Without Johny Depp this movie wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar. 3/10 -1 for the cg rabbit at the end.

1 out of 4 in the People magazine review, they called it "Horse Poop."  Can't say I've ever seen a review by People like that.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #13,555 of 24,653
The lone ranger came and went rather quickly. Only a week I think.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #13,556 of 24,653
Castle in the Sky (1986): 9/10

Even Disney's poor treatment of this classic adventure animation (who on Earth timed these subtitles?!?) can't diminish this film's beauty and imagination. Maybe Disney will eventually get around to putting out a largely corrected version, like they eventually did with Kiki's Delivery Service. If they haven't already--I might have an old copy.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #13,557 of 24,653
Quote:
1 out of 4 in the People magazine review, they called it "Horse Poop."  Can't say I've ever seen a review by People like that.

LOL

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #13,558 of 24,653
I'll just say this up front - I'm very biased in terms of Stallone films. This guy is truly an icon of film to me, and even the roles he's played that everyone else hated, I've found it hard to not be a fan. I've seen one of his worst films, "Over the Top", so many times that it's embarrassing. Stallone films collectively are one of my favorite guilty pleasures in life, and it's really difficult for me to evaluate his work objectively. As for this one, I really enjoyed how this character lived in more of a gray area than the ones he typically plays. He doesn't go nearly as far as the role Tom Cruise played in "Collateral", but it was further in that direction than he's ever gone, I think. I liked the cold, edgy aspects of his personality and I really wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. I don't think many would consider this a great film by any means, but for Stallone fans I think they'll find it a very worthy rental. And wow, that girl who plays his daughter is smokin'! 

"Bullet to the Head" - 8.0/10

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #13,559 of 24,653
One of my favorite Stallone movies is probably Oscar. The bright dark horse of the Stallone filmography.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #13,560 of 24,653
Quote:
One of my favorite Stallone movies is probably Oscar. The bright dark horse of the Stallone filmography.

I need to see that one again, actually...haven't seen it in forever and only saw it once. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back