Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 6, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #13,471 of 24,645
The lady friend doesn't seem to have much of an appetite for movies outside of RomComs, so I give in once a week when she's in the mood. Tonight we found this one off Netflix and chose it because of the cast. If you're a fan of Kristin Wiig, as I am, don't expect her usual charm and schtick. But otherwise the cast is solid and overall the film wasn't terrible. It even had a few effective moments thrown in, but I can't say it really brought anything new to the table. It's predictable, as most films in this genre are, but if this is the sort of movie that you're after, it's not a bad choice. 

"Friends with Kids" - 7/10

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #13,472 of 24,645
Wreck it Ralph.

This must be the ugliest Pixar movie ever make you wonder why. Game graphics is tasteless I suppose lol.

7/10 okay but not top 5 or even top 10 perhaps regarding Pixar.

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #13,474 of 24,645
Okay that explains some though hasn´t Disney bought Pixar?

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #13,475 of 24,645
From here to Eternity - 6/10

This could have been great. I liked all the characters and the acting, but then it just felt like a soap opera and really wore out it's welcome. I couldn't stand any of the awful scenes with women in them. The acting from them just seemed so phony and the dialogue was just so bad. This movie to me seemed like oscar bait. Kill off enough characters in a dramatic way and it's almost a guarantee you'll get a nomination! Yeah, I know it's based on a book so that wouldn't be possible.

Frank Sinatra and Burt Lancaster were my favorite characters. I liked all the male characters. The female characters just didn't seem realistic at all. Again, felt like they were in a soap opera.

Loved the first half and then it just went downhill. Turned into a complete mess.

I actually saw this years ago and hated it but this time it was a little better.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #13,477 of 24,645
This movie was a bit of a red flag for me, cause anytime I see a critic rating on RT that is high, but the viewer rating is significantly lower, that usually means trouble. I gave this one a chance when it was the iTunes movie of the week, though, and I ended up enjoying it. Even though Brad Pitt has always been grouped in with the other "pretty boy" type of leading man, I've always felt that he was more of a man's man and that he was a stronger actor than many gave him credit for. This film was no exception...I felt his performance was solid. Nothing is really memorable in this flick, but it's good enough for a solid grade. 

"Killing Them Softly" 8/10

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #13,478 of 24,645

Very interesting, and like nothing else I remember seeing. 8/10 

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #13,480 of 24,645
Man of Steel 10/10
People who watch Superhero movies and complain about 'too much action' make me
blink.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #13,481 of 24,645
A Good Day to Die Hard - ??/10

Wow, I can't believe how bad this is. There is no way this is a die hard movie. It was painful just to watch the first hour. I couldn't take it anymore and hit the eject button at 1:05.
The only good thing about it is that it looked good and had some decent stunts. The car chase scene went on for way too long.

Die Hard 1 and 2 are some of my favorite action films of all time. Die Hard 3 i'd give maybe an 8/10. I've only seen the 4th once.

BTW if I had seen this at the theater I might have walked out.

The Tower - 8/10

I saw this as a new release at Red Box and I love South Korean films. It also has one of my favorite over(actors) in it.
Really enjoyed this one but what ruins it for me is the excessive overacting and how they over dramatize sad scenes. Like 10x more than required.
There was a scene where a women is stuck on an elevator and they actually slow mo her for about forever to try to make it worse than it is.
I might sound like a heartless b*stard but I was laughing at how ridiculously over-dramatic everything was.
At least this doesn't top "Tidal Wave" in that area.

Overall I enjoyed this and it's worth the $1.25 or whatever it is.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #13,482 of 24,645

I saw this years ago but got caught up with it while cleaning up the kitchen and then I couldn't stop watching it.  Something good seems to happen when Cameron and Schwarzenegger hook up.  T1 and T2 and then this film done between Aliens and Titanic.  Its amazing how well the graphics and special effects hold up after nearly twenty years.  In comparison some of the Sci Fi from that era or after look cheesy ("Independence Day" came on immediately after this movie).
Tom Arnold is perfect as the side kick. Bill Paxton provides comic relief.  The action sequences are intense and fun.  A little over the top in spots but for the most part intelligent and well scripted.
8.8/10

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #13,483 of 24,645
Mood Indigo / L'ecume des jours ( 2013)

French avant garde 

Director: Michel Godry ( The Green Hornet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc)

One of the weirdest movies I've watched in a long time. Very challenging to watch because of art work in almost every scene which makes you appreciate artistic vision of Godry but modernist visual stunts are so self-indulging and excessive that the story is not involving at all. Though the sadness of the second half did make some effect on my mood. The drama was conveyed pretty well.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #13,485 of 24,645
Siberian Education (2013) 7.3/10

Growing up as children, our world is shown to us and slowly disappears as we struggle to learn right from wrong.
If that world is a community of banished criminals in the former Soviet Union, overcoming a life of violence depends on who you are and where you are from.
Is there really a code among criminals, to live such a life with honor?
A solid movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back