Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #13,426 of 24,654
Stoker (2013): 6/10

Park Chan-wook is obviously a director of immense skill and imagination, but his virtuosity gets the better of him here, as he winds up sacrificing much of the film's inherent drama and would-be tension in favor of showing off. And there's a certain joy to watching him show off, on top of which the actors do fine with their roles (the three leads in particular), but otherwise the film feels strangely hollow. The twists are weak and the mysteries are ultimately solved too early in the film for them to lead to any great sense of pay-off. Insofar as atmospheric thrillers go it's not bad, but don't expect much else beyond atmosphere. Stoker is a prime example of style over substance film-making.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #13,427 of 24,654
Quote:
Plot was ridiculous? Uh...have you ever actually read a comic book?

At least in the comics the just leave it at "Yeah, he can jump really high and move really fast, as well as being super strong because of the sun" not "well we tried to re-boot it, but we don't know how to follow our own plot....so lets just throw more things at it"

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #13,429 of 24,654
Quote:
Trying to nolanise Superman spectacularly failed. 

Right, because last I checked Man of Steel broke the records for biggest June opening.

Look, I'm not saying it's not without it's faults, but it's silly for people to be so butt hurt over it just because of the iconic character. It's a summer popcorn flick, and it did it's job. It could have been worse...if you don't believe me, go watch Sucker Punch.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #13,430 of 24,654
Quote:
Right, because last I checked Man of Steel broke the records for biggest June opening.

Look, I'm not saying it's not without it's faults, but it's silly for people to be so butt hurt over it just because of the iconic character. It's a summer popcorn flick, and it did it's job. It could have been worse...if you don't believe me, go watch Sucker Punch.

No, stop giving ground. It was an AWESOME movie, and I won't apologize for loving it. It showed the human struggles of a young Clark, along with his rise to "power".

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #13,432 of 24,654
Quote:
And too much CGI? Are you kidding? It's a movie about a superhuman alien who can move faster than the speed of sound. 

Still doesn't justify the complete lack of coherence in storyline and character development. 
Quote:

Your first point is superfluous.

My argument is that trying to nolanise a summer popcorn flick did not bode well. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #13,433 of 24,654
Quote:

No, stop giving ground. It was an AWESOME movie, and I won't apologize for loving it. It showed the human struggles of a young Clark, along with his rise to "power".

Agreed. I went back the other day to see it a second time, after reading so many of the complaints by the haters the last couple weeks, and I still enjoyed it.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #13,434 of 24,654
We rented this one since we were in the mood for something that wouldn't require a lot of brain power...both of us had a long week, so we just wanted to sit back and enjoy something relatively mindless. Well, in all honesty, this film ended up being far more effective than we imagined. The ending fall short, but the first two thirds were far better than I expected, so I have to give it credit. If you're looking for a thriller, you may find this one surprises you. 

"The Call" - 7.8/10

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #13,437 of 24,654
Quote:
Blue Velvet: Really weird movie, first Lynch I've ever seen. I wasn't the biggest fan, but I do think it's a pretty well made movie. 4/5

If you are interested in delving further into Lynch's twisted mind, check out Lost Highway (personal favorite) and Mulholland Drive. If you survive that, check out Eraserhead.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #13,438 of 24,654
Quote:

Good God! Did we even watch the same movie? Did you just see Superman Returns by mistake?

no he's right. They tried to force character development and it ended up falling on its face...also Pa-kent was.....well he was just crazy.

Quote:

So by this standard; Twilight was a masterpiece of cinema?

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #13,440 of 24,654
Quote:
So by this standard; Twilight was a masterpiece of cinema?

Yup.

I was responding to the ham-fisted generalization that it "spectacularly failed".  I simply proved that to be false. 

Anyway...
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back