Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #13,051 of 24,655
The Purple Heart - 9/10

Old movie from 1944 about the captured pilots of the Doolittle Raid. They were caught in China and held in Japan and tortured in order to get information. I think a lot of it was added so that it was to be more dramatic. I wish there was a way to fact check this movie without reading a book on the subject. In the movie the Japanese claim the pilots were targeting Children, Schools and Hospitals! Obviously not true but I'm sure civilians were killed.

In the movie it doesn't mention that many of them were hung. It just has the typical patriotic ending.

What the Japanese wanted to know from the pilots is if they took off from a ship or land. Apparently they did not give up any information despite being tortured.

NOTE: Today is the anniversary of the Doolittle Raid.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #13,052 of 24,655
After seeing this trailer today.....

I decided I should watch this again tonight.....

Enjoying it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #13,053 of 24,655

3/10 on story
10/10 on gore

Almost zero CG (just at the beginning when some chick is set on fire) the rest is all practical makup FX and it truly is amazing what they did. So I give the movie total props on that. Just don't expect deep storyline or characters. Fun movie if you like mindless violence like me.
biggrin.gif

For fans of the original there's a groovy little cameo after the credits too :wink:

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #13,054 of 24,655
42 - 9/10

Like it, but there's a bit too many moments where it felt like it was produced by Disney and directed by Spielberg.
Definitely worth seeing in the theater.

The ending is about overblown as you can get. 10 minute walk to the plate in super slow mo. Makes the ending of Apollo 13 seem subtle.

Where Eagles Dare - 8.5/10

One of the most entertaining movies I've seen in awhile. Basically everything in the movie is impossible to believe, but that's OK. So unrealistic it feels like a video game.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #13,055 of 24,655
Quote:

Where Eagles Dare - 8.5/10

One of the most entertaining movies I've seen in awhile. Basically everything in the movie is impossible to believe, but that's OK. So unrealistic it feels like a video game.

A movie that comes real close to the quality level of the book.  Alistair MacLean seemed to write books that translated well to cinema ex. "Guns of Navarone" and "Ice Station Zero."

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #13,057 of 24,655

HBO's "Phil Spector" Written and directed by David Mamet.  I started watching this made for TV movie last night and was blown away.  Great script and well acted by Pacino (not overacted) and Helen Mirren.  Compelling and much better than I expected.  Clearly took the defense side of the case, but brought up nice points.  If you are eccentric and a gun nut with a history of abusing and bullying woman does that make you guilty by default?  
Spector was an important man in music history. The  "Wall of Sound" was his trade mark and help to drive soul to the top of the charts. I personally felt he butchered The Beatles "Let it Be" but somewhat redeemed himself with the work he did with George Harrison. This 90 minute portrait details the defense maneuvers to find a credible way to defend someone who is easy to hate.
I would rate this movie 8/10. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #13,059 of 24,655
Oblivion - 10/10

Almost skipped this. Loved ever minute of this movie. I could write an 10 page review of the movie really. I think I could see it again too.
Felt like some weird dream where I was stuck/trapped in outer space. During the movie I kept thinking to myself "Where have I seen this before?".
It felt like someone had taken all my favorite memories from past video games and movies and put them into a new one.
Some of the M83 songs were a tad overblown, but most of it worked well. I think more minimal ambient electronica could have worked better perhaps.

I think with this movie you'll either love it or hate it.

Oh yeah, I kept being reminded of watching sort of like the series "Planet Earth", but like with the earth totally ruined. Some of the special effects and scenery were amazing.
I totally felt like I was right there inside the movie since it was so convincing to me.

See it in IMAX if you can.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #13,060 of 24,655
Does the newest Disney dub still have a lot of those additions in it or did it clear some of those out? I'd heard that it was an improvement over the old one.
Quote:
I watched Kiki's Delivery Service (aka Majo no Takkyūbin) again last night: 4/5
(watched the Japanese version, not the inferior dubbed version with all the additional and unnecessary dialogue)

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #13,061 of 24,655
Quote:
Oblivion - 10/10

Almost skipped this. Loved ever minute of this movie. I could write an 10 page review of the movie really. I think I could see it again too.
Felt like some weird dream where I was stuck/trapped in outer space. During the movie I kept thinking to myself "Where have I seen this before?".
It felt like someone had taken all my favorite memories from past video games and movies and put them into a new one.
Some of the M83 songs were a tad overblown, but most of it worked well. I think more minimal ambient electronica could have worked better perhaps.

I think with this movie you'll either love it or hate it.

Oh yeah, I kept being reminded of watching sort of like the series "Planet Earth", but like with the earth totally ruined. Some of the special effects and scenery were amazing.
I totally felt like I was right there inside the movie since it was so convincing to me.

See it in IMAX if you can.

Thank you for not writing a 10 page review...  ;P

Good to hear a lot of people liking this movie, despite how derivative it is of every other science fiction movie in existence. Definitely looks pretty, gonna check it out this weekend.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #13,062 of 24,655
Quote:

Thank you for not writing a 10 page review...  ;P

Good to hear a lot of people liking this movie, despite how derivative it is of every other science fiction movie in existence. Definitely looks pretty, gonna check it out this weekend.

Another stupid thing I was thinking is it kind of reminds me of a Sci-Fi movie directed by Terrence Malick.
If you don't like that idea, you can skip it
normal_smile .gif

No poetry in it and luckily it has more of a script than "Tree of Life".

The people saying "Oblivion" has a weak storyline and thin script are weird. I'd take this over that Avengers type nonsense any day.
That one gets a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes (????) and this a 58%. Sad.

It borrowed ideas from a ton of movies and video games yet nobody has made a movie that feels quite the same. Maybe a mix of 2001 and Moon perhaps.

If someone ever feels they could watch a movie just for the sound/visuals they should definitely see this.

Oh man theres a good idea. Terrence Malick should direct the next Star Wars movie!
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #13,063 of 24,655
The proposition 8/10. Really liked this australian western a lot. Nice to see Guy Pearce almost being allowed to play a good guy lol

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #13,064 of 24,655
One of my very favorite movies. If Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian ever comes out in movie form, I hope the director of it paid attention to The Proposition.
Quote:
The proposition 8/10. Really liked this australian western a lot. Nice to see Guy Pearce almost being allowed to play a good guy lol

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #13,065 of 24,655
High plains drifter 6,5/10

How come nobody recognized their old sheriff. There was no scars or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back