Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #12,766 of 24,653
Noted. Thanks. :)
Quote:
Just a word of warning:

Arguing with mutabor is pointless. He has sexist views on several issues, and he doesn't think women have been influential in the positive course of history. He will disregard your argument, and find biased evidence to support his own.

This is from experience

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #12,767 of 24,653
Quote:

LOL. I never said that. I said that I don't know women which were:

1. Really great writers like Shakespeare.
2. Really great religious oracles like Mahatma Ghandi for example.

Period.

You may want to revisit your thoughts in the diary thread to remind yourself of what you posted.

Quote:

Do you have something to say on the theme? If not then stop bothering me.

Because other people think like you do is not justification. If you look at the facts, it was indeed a group of women who pursued the courier lead, which is represented by the main character. If Bigelow's representation was feminist, what would you say about the Hurt Locker?

I've already given my thoughts about the movie:

Zero Dark Thirty

10/10

While I watched this, I kept in mind that this was basically a retelling of factual events. I gave it a 10 because I couldn't find any faults with the telling of the story. The action sequences were great, the emotional stuff wasn't overdone, and I never once didn't feel immersed in the film.

Great movie.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #12,768 of 24,653
eke2k6

You didn't get at all what I was saying. 

Glenn Greenwald ( Gardian UK): "In the Atlantic this morning, Peter Maass makes this point perfectly in his piece entitled "Don't Trust 'Zero Dark Thirty'". That, he writes, is because "it represents a troubling new frontier of government-embedded filmmaking." He continues: "An already problematic practice - giving special access to vetted journalists - is now deployed for the larger goal of creating cinematic myths that are favorable to the sponsoring entity (in the case of Zero Dark Thirty, the CIA)."

Indeed, from start to finish, this is the CIA's film: its perspective, its morality, its side of the story, The Agency as the supreme heroes. (That there is ample evidence to suspect that the film's CIA heroine is, at least in composite part, based on the same female CIA agent responsible for the kidnapping, drugging and torture of Khalid El-Masri in 2003, an innocent man just awarded compensation this week by the European Court of Human Rights, just symbolizes the odious aspects of uncritically venerating the CIA in this manner).

It is a true sign of the times that Liberal Hollywood has produced the ultimate hagiography of the most secretive arm of America's National Security State, while liberal film critics lead the parade of praise and line up to bestow it with every imaginable accolade. Like the bin Laden killing itself, this is a film that tells Americans to feel good about themselves, to feel gratitude for the violence done in their name, to perceive the War-on-Terror-era CIA not as lawless criminals but as honorable heroes.

Nothing inspires loyalty and gratitude more than making people feel good about themselves. Few films accomplish that as effectively and powerfully as this one does. That's why critics of the film inspire anger almost as much as critics of the bin Laden killing itself: what is being maligned is a holy chapter in the Gospel of America's Goodness."

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #12,770 of 24,653
Life of Pi 8-10

Flight 8-10

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #12,771 of 24,653
1. Really great writers like Shakespeare: Sappho, Madame de La Fayette, Murasaki Shikibu. There's three examples that you don't have to agree with, but you'd be a fool to dismiss them.

2. Gandhi was not a 'religious oracle.' He was a social leader and a philosopher who happened to be religious.

Just throwing that out there, for anyone who is interested. ^^

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #12,773 of 24,653
Ironclad.

7/10. Surprisingly good acting and good fighting scenes. Above average in the sandal genre.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #12,774 of 24,653
Quote:

I was about to see this movie last week ^

Anyways, the last movie i watched was 007 Skyfall. It was what i expected: 9 of 10 

Yes, just watched Skyfall for the second time too. Life of Pi is truly a technical achievement. Many of my friends didn't think the book could even be made into a movie. I could of rated it higher but it's just not my style of movie. Many here I'm sure will give Life of Pi a 10/10. Not a movie to be missed this year!

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #12,776 of 24,653
Phantom 7/10, this movie is loosely (very loosely) based on the sinking of the Soviet submarine K-129 in 1968 in waters northwest of Oahu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-129

Ed Harris plays the role of a Soviet submarine captain during the cold war era trying to prevent rogue KGB agents who commandeered his ship from starting a nuclear war. The acting was ok and it would have been better had they cast in some Russian actors and at least have the actors speak with a Russian accent.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #12,778 of 24,653
Quote:
eke2k6

You didn't get at all what I was saying. 

Glenn Greenwald ( Gardian UK): "In the Atlantic this morning, Peter Maass makes this point perfectly in his piece entitled "Don't Trust 'Zero Dark Thirty'". That, he writes, is because "it represents a troubling new frontier of government-embedded filmmaking." He continues: "An already problematic practice - giving special access to vetted journalists - is now deployed for the larger goal of creating cinematic myths that are favorable to the sponsoring entity (in the case of Zero Dark Thirty, the CIA)."

Indeed, from start to finish, this is the CIA's film: its perspective, its morality, its side of the story, The Agency as the supreme heroes. (That there is ample evidence to suspect that the film's CIA heroine is, at least in composite part, based on the same female CIA agent responsible for the kidnapping, drugging and torture of Khalid El-Masri in 2003, an innocent man just awarded compensation this week by the European Court of Human Rights, just symbolizes the odious aspects of uncritically venerating the CIA in this manner).

It is a true sign of the times that Liberal Hollywood has produced the ultimate hagiography of the most secretive arm of America's National Security State, while liberal film critics lead the parade of praise and line up to bestow it with every imaginable accolade. Like the bin Laden killing itself, this is a film that tells Americans to feel good about themselves, to feel gratitude for the violence done in their name, to perceive the War-on-Terror-era CIA not as lawless criminals but as honorable heroes.

Nothing inspires loyalty and gratitude more than making people feel good about themselves. Few films accomplish that as effectively and powerfully as this one does. That's why critics of the film inspire anger almost as much as critics of the bin Laden killing itself: what is being maligned is a holy chapter in the Gospel of America's Goodness."

The Intelligence agencies do have supreme heroes, their agents and special operatives are the real world "Dirty Harrys", doing stuff no one else will do. Take the Mossad for example, and Munich (the movie). As far as I can see, the movie did not try to judge the actions of the CIA. Its a re-telling of events, and thats about it.
Next you'll be telling me Skyfall is a masturbatory exercise in film making because James Bond kills the villian who blows up MI16. Its the same, except that one of them is based on real events.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #12,780 of 24,653
Friday - 10/10

Must watch while influenced by something..

mqdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back