Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #12,752 of 24,635
Quote:
I was always a Sean Connery holdout, but Daniel Craig lends an air of authenticity...

I never felt attracted to go in the past to the movies or rent the ones where Daniel is not. I really like this last 3 ones, was a great idea including Javier Bardem in the last one, he made me laugh
dt880smile.png

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #12,753 of 24,635
Searching for Sugar Man (2012): 9/10

Not hard to see why this won Best Documentary at the Academy Awards. Not only is it beautifully filmed and makes good use of archival footage (and interestingly animates some scenes), the story behind it all is one that's almost too good to be true. The film revolves around a Detroit singer/songwriter, Rodriguez, who despite rave reviews and immense talent failed to sell any records in America, and disappeared after releasing his second album in the early 70's. However, bootlegs of his material caught on in South Africa and spread like wildfire, and his music became a soundtrack for the anti-apartheid movement. It wasn't long before his albums outsold heavy-hitters like Elvis, yet he languished in obscurity, and it became widely rumored that he committed suicide. A handful of devoted fans (journalists, musicians, and record-store owners) began a search for the truth, and what they uncover is surprising and wonderful, and I will absolutely not spoil it. I wouldn't recommend that you Wikipedia it before watching either--just go in fresh. Hugely recommended.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #12,754 of 24,635
Margin Call

5/10 Start interesting and promise and promise and promise but nothing is ever delivered and leaves with a What ending.
I want to warn hardcore audiophile gearheads about Grado abuse in this movie :D

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #12,757 of 24,635
Quote:
Cant beleive that! 5/10 for a movie with Kevin Spacey?
popcorn.gif

I'd give it an 8. 
The movie is not about delivering anything at the end. Infact, its the same What that actually happened, in real life. Nothing was delivered. Those that perpetuated the whole thing got away.
The focus is more on the banker psyche, and greed,  in times of crises.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #12,759 of 24,635
Zero Dark Thirty - 6/10

This film was very interesting to watch. It was graded very high by critics on RottenTomatoes. But what strikes about this movie is how differently it is perceived by American and international public.

If you check the reviews on IMDB you'll see that the majority of international viewers doesn't like the movie. I also checked Russian movie sites and from there you can feel the anger towards the movie. There are two types of rants:

1. The movie is boring, characters are flat etc. How come it was nominated for Oscars?
2. The movie is obvious propaganda.

Oscar favourite Zero Dark Thirty is torture to watch - and about as subtle as Die Hard ( Dailymail UK)

"Frankly, that’s a superficial, foolish and parochial way to approach the war on terror, and this is a silly, at times despicable film that never remotely deserved an Oscar nomination. Compared with this, Team America: World Police was a think piece."

Zero Dark Thirty: CIA Hagiography, Pernicious Propaganda ( Gardian UK)

My personal rant:

The movie is nothing more than a blatant feminist message.

Kathryn Bigelow is a famous feminist. According to one of the most influential feminist theorist Judith Butler: "[size=small]Butler's central thesis - "that, in a way we are all transvestites" - challenges popularly held views of tranvestite-ism, and destabilizes traditional modes of constructing gender identity. Most people think that they're not transvestites because they do not go out wearing the clothing of the opposite sex."[/size]

[size=small]Th main hero of ZDT Maya kicks men asses during the whole movie. She is smarter, more patriotic and more persevering than men who look like caricatures.[/size]

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #12,761 of 24,635
I'm not sure that I get your point. She's the 'hero' of the movie. In most films, the hero is the hero because they are smarter and more persistent. Surely female heroes are allowed to be the same? What if the role of Maya had been played by a man? I also didn't really get that she was kicking male ass. After all, a lot of men were on her side, and in the end, she's totally helpless as she puts her operation into the hands of others. What's the 'blatant feminist message' here? That women are allowed to talk tough and be right? Especially when surrounded by men who are equally sure of their rightness and their ability to talk tough?
Quote:
Zero Dark Thirty - 6/10

This film was very interesting to watch. It was graded very high by critics on RottenTomatoes. But what strikes about this movie is how differently it is perceived by American and international public.

If you check the reviews on IMDB you'll see that the majority of international viewers doesn't like the movie. I also checked Russian movie sites and from there you can feel the anger towards the movie. There are two types of rants:

1. The movie is boring, characters are flat etc. How come it was nominated for Oscars?
2. The movie is obvious propaganda.

Oscar favourite Zero Dark Thirty is torture to watch - and about as subtle as Die Hard ( Dailymail UK)

"Frankly, that’s a superficial, foolish and parochial way to approach the war on terror, and this is a silly, at times despicable film that never remotely deserved an Oscar nomination. Compared with this, Team America: World Police was a think piece."

Zero Dark Thirty: CIA Hagiography, Pernicious Propaganda ( Gardian UK)

My personal rant:

The movie is nothing more than a blatant feminist message.

Kathryn Bigelow is a famous feminist. According to one of the most influential feminist theorist Judith Butler: "[size=small]Butler's central thesis - "that, in a way we are all transvestites" - challenges popularly held views of tranvestite-ism, and destabilizes traditional modes of constructing gender identity. Most people think that they're not transvestites because they do not go out wearing the clothing of the opposite sex."[/size]

[size=small]Th main hero of ZDT Maya kicks men asses during the whole movie. She is smarter, more patriotic and more persevering than men who look like caricatures.[/size]

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #12,763 of 24,635
Quote:
I'm not sure that I get your point. She's the 'hero' of the movie. In most films, the hero is the hero because they are smarter and more persistent. Surely female heroes are allowed to be the same? What if the role of Maya had been played by a man? I also didn't really get that she was kicking male ass. After all, a lot of men were on her side, and in the end, she's totally helpless as she puts her operation into the hands of others. What's the 'blatant feminist message' here? That women are allowed to talk tough and be right? Especially when surrounded by men who are equally sure of their rightness and their ability to talk tough?

Well. There are many viewers who don't see any propaganda, torture justification and racist observations in Zero Dark Thirty. You may be sensitive to one things and insensitive to other according to your upbringing. For example, if you are a person from the Middle East you will hate how Arabs and Pakistanis were displayed in the movie.

You didn't notice that the movie was feminist but the media did notice it. There are many articles which debate this issue. There is media which is not in English so that you can't read it.

"Others have already noted the concerning implications of viewing Zero Dark Thirty as a feminist text. Zillah Eisenstein sees Maya as an imperial feminist. Rania Khalek takes this a step further,contending, “The only thing Zero Dark Thirty does differently [from other military films] is it puts a female on the face of imperialism."

As Andrew Ohehir asks, “Is torture justified if the torturer is a university-educated woman, and the tortured a bigoted Muslim fundamentalist?” Playing on Glenn Greenwald’s characterization of the film as “overarching, suffocating jingoism,” I think you can take Ohehir’s question a step further and ask: are we as Americans more comfortable with celebration of U.S. militarism when it comes from a woman? 

Based on Maya’s behavior in the film, it seems that that the answer is a resounding yes.  Maya does things that, coming from a muscle-bound male CIA agent, or even Chastain’s foil Joel Edgerton, would seem boorish and out of place."

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #12,764 of 24,635
Just a word of warning:

Arguing with mutabor is pointless. He has sexist views on several issues, and he doesn't think women have been influential in the positive course of history. He will disregard your argument, and find biased evidence to support his own.

This is from experience

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12,765 of 24,635
Quote:
Just a word of warning:

Arguing with mutabor is pointless. He has sexist views on several issues, and he doesn't think women have been influential in the positive course of history. He will disregard your argument, and find biased evidence to support his own.

LOL. I never said that. I said that I don't know women which were:

1. Really great writers like Shakespeare.
2. Really great religious oracles like Mahatma Gandhi for example.

Period.

Do you have something to say on the theme? If not then stop bothering me.

I back up my opinion on the movie citing from different sources. It means that it is shared by many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back