Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #12,616 of 24,645
Quote:

JJ Abrams? Didn´t he do Total Recall also with tons of lens flares?

No, he didn't direct the new Total Recall, that director just ripped off every sci-fi film in the past 20 years. Abrams did direct Super 8, however which also had a tons of lens flares...and it sucked. I really hope he doesn't go lens flare crazy in Star Wars Ep. 7. Can you imagine giant lens flares with every light saber hit?
blink.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #12,617 of 24,645
Nah, JJ didn't do Total Recall that I'm aware of. My favorite JJ films is Cloverfield. Great film? Nah. Great HT experience when you have an amazing sound system and a big screen? Hell yes!

So last night I was looking through one of my favorite websites, "www.instantwatcher.com", and I see that Star Trek:Nemesis is available on Netflix now. I loved the original cast, which is a big reason why I'm so psyched for the new films, but never really connected with the Next Generation. That being said, I have seen all the theatrical films....or so I thought. Nemesis came out in 2002 , which was the year I got married, and I really wasn't paying much attention to movies that time of my life. I realized that I'd never seen this one, so I gave it a go last night. I actually ended up really enjoying this movie...and one of the aspects that really sold me on it was when I recognized a young Tom Hardy in one of the lead roles. Pretty cool! I had no idea he was in this movie. I found myself very entertained and glad that I took the time to see it. If anyone likes the Star Trek universe and hasn't given this one a chance, fire it up sometime....you may like it, too!

Star Trek:Nemesis - 8.0/10

Also, I had seen this movie available on Vudu and nearly rented it a while back, but it had just become available on Netflix, as well. I rented it the other night since it seemed to have had a lot of people talking, and also because it was based on true events, which usually piques my interest. After seeing it, it was clear as to why so many people were discussing it on the forums...definitely held my interest, even if the thought that this sort of thing actually took place is really unsettling. 

Compliance - 8.2/10

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #12,618 of 24,645
Quote:
No, he didn't direct the new Total Recall, that director just ripped off every sci-fi film in the past 20 years. Abrams did direct Super 8, however which also had a tons of lens flares...and it sucked. I really hope he doesn't go lens flare crazy in Star Wars Ep. 7. Can you imagine giant lens flares with every light saber hit?
blink.gif

I was really disappointed with Super 8, as well. I blame Spielberg for that, though haha

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #12,620 of 24,645

A Good Day To Die Hard (2013) 7.2/10

Some guys actually wrangled their sweethearts into seeing this action film for St.Val's Day.
First of the Die Hard series to be released for IMAX with Dolby Atmos sound.
I experienced it at the local IMAX and like it says on the screen before things start - Mind Blowing Picture and Thunderous Sound.

I've already heard it said that this feature has been scrubbed of all the nuances that make up a Die Hard movie.
Too much like a James Bond film minus the cache,John McClane is from Jersey after all.
Within the audience,I heard gasps from the ladies during the prime chase scene.
Chock full of beautiful crashes and firefights,indeed our hero has evolved from a working everyman to a form of superman,always surviving the incredulous action.

Doesn't matter to me,this movie was made to be seen in IMAX and with the storyline involving Russia and the CIA it provides some killer action scenes.
The original is still the king but A Good Day To Die Hard takes "Here comes the Boom" to a another level.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #12,621 of 24,645
City of Life and Death -10/10

Thankfully it's not as graphic or depressing as I expected. I can't imagine you'll be the same after watching it though.
I just cannot understand how humans can be capable of such evil. The idea of "comfort women" alone was sad and disturbing.
Some of the stuff in here is as bad as what the Nazis did to the jews. Of course not on the same scale.

The moment that got me rather teary eyed is when the man and the kid were released at the end and they were finally able to smile after picking flowers.

The idea of this scene doing it for me is a bit bizarre. I guess I really like the characters that much.

The most disturbing scenes were the rape scenes (mostly off screen and not too graphic) with the "comfort women". Then the idea of all those soldiers smiling after what they had done. It's just sickening.

Overall this is up there with war movies like "The Human Condition", "Come and See" and "The Thin Red Line".

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #12,622 of 24,645
Quote:
Quote:
Prometheus- 7/10  I really wanted to like it.  It seems like there could be a good story there but the characters are so rash and stupid that I started rooting for the aliens.

Lol yes that scene was so bad.

As much as I liked Prometheus, I agree.

That scene that was so stupid it pissed me off
angry_face.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #12,623 of 24,645
Feb 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #12,624 of 24,645
Taken 2

5/10. Seen it before just another day at the work for the actors and the action scenes was killed by to much fast forward and fast clipping.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #12,625 of 24,645
Monsters, Inc. (2001): 8/10

Haven't seen this one in years--so I gave it a rewatch. And yep, it's still awesome. 

Rurouni Kenshin (2012): 5/10

No, I've never read the manga or watched the anime series. (Gave the series a try, wasn't really for me.) Coming away from this movie, the overwhelming feeling I have is that this is a fans-only experience. I could appreciate a few of the fight scenes and the costume and set design, but there was really nothing else for a non-Kenshin fan to grip onto. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #12,626 of 24,645
The English Patient - 9/10

I saw this when I was 16 (now 32) and it bored the heck out of me. I think I was too young too appreciate this movie. Finally watched it again and liked it, but it sure is one of the slowest movies i've seen in a long time. The scenes at random went from OK to good, to great. There's a few scenes that didn't seem all that important to the story. I wonder if they have a Blu-Ray disc of this..probably not. Strangely my favorite scenes were when they were stuck in the desert. Not sure why.

It seems i've always liked Raph Fiennes movies. He was also good in "The Reader" (which is depressing as hell). Colin Firth is in here too and you can barely recognize him!

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #12,627 of 24,645

an average movie .. nicely written lines - 7/10

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #12,628 of 24,645
Manga is great, series was bad, IMO.

Quote:

No, I've never read the manga or watched the anime series. (Gave the series a try, wasn't really for me.) Coming away from this movie, the overwhelming feeling I have is that this is a fans-only experience. I could appreciate a few of the fight scenes and the costume and set design, but there was really nothing else for a non-Kenshin fan to grip onto. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #12,629 of 24,645
Watched Pulp Fiction the other night on HBO. And man, did I ever forget just how good it is.
I initially thought Django Unchained could have possibly been the best Tarantino flick.
But after reminding myself of Pulp Fiction which is a 10/10 Django is a 6-7 in comparison

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #12,630 of 24,645
Quote:

images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back