Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #12,496 of 24,654
Quote:
You guys should watch the commentary track on Bruno...SBC plays it straight and really shares some interesting details about production. 

Hey, I watched it with my friends, and we were all hoping it would be a decent movie, something like Borat, and boy were we in for a surprise. I'm not sure who was the target here, because it portrayed mostly everyone in a bad light.

Now that I've watched it once, I have no intention of watching it again, ever.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #12,497 of 24,654
Bunraku - 8.5/10

This one was completely off my radar and I watched it on a whim via Netflix this morning. Really glad I did. Fantastic yet simple set and costume design, great characters, narration that reminds me a bit of Bastion...

It's a post apocalyptic shoot em up movie (sort of). Basically the idea behind it is that the world banned guns completely so now we're back ot sword fights. Pretty legit if you ask me. 

Character development is a bit poor, but I think it was intentional. It's meant to be a 'stranger' spaghetti western kind of movie. Soundtrack is alright, too. Woody Harrleson has his moments. Ron Perlman is as awesome as ever.

Oh, and for any Japanese music nerds, Gackt is in it.

EDIT: Thinking on it a bit more it also reminds me of Afro Samurai.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #12,499 of 24,654
Looper - 8/10

Wasn't quite as good as I hoped it would be, but it was still a good movie. Loved the concept, but the whole TK kid thing was just...dumb. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #12,500 of 24,654

When I saw this not only starred Steven Seagal, by was written and produced by him, I immediately lowered my expectations drastically, so 3/10....lol.
I don't necessarily regret watching it, because there was nothing on TV and I was bored....but I sure am glad I didn't pay money to see it. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #12,501 of 24,654
Pink Floyd -- The Wall (1982): 7/10

I pull this out every few years and watch it-I liked it a lot more when I was a kid, but it's still a movie I admire--particularly the sinister animated sequences.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #12,503 of 24,654
This movie was so passionate that the rating doesn't really matter, on a certain level it makes even the most well produced, utterly amazing story seem trivial by comparison. A true tale of righteous violence, about a man that is still out there making a difference in the fight against evil in this world.

He's an ex-outlaw biker that found God and built an orphanage in the middle of a perpetual war zone (Southern Sudan), which is "unique in its approach of leading armed rescue missions directly into [enemy] territory". You just can't make this kind of thing up, this is what legends are made of.

I'll give it a 9.9/10.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #12,505 of 24,654
Zero Dark Thirty 9/10

I didn't look up my watch even once in its 2.5 hr runtime. The pacing is perfect, events move along swiftly, and the tension is incredible. Especially the last few minutes of the actual raid....it almost seemed like its from a documentary, or real operation footage.

Watch with people who are mature enough to understand the topic. I was surrounded by some high schoolers, and well, they didn't really grasp the tone of the film.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #12,506 of 24,654
Flight of the Phoenix (2004 remake) - 6.5/10

This one is about a plane that crashes in the middle of a desert. The survivors end up trying to rebuild it to get out because they will not be found.
This isn't as bad as reviews make it out to be, but it would be better with no sound. It has possibly the worst soundtrack i've heard in awhile. Their choice of music for scenes is just so bizarre. Who the heck uses Massive Attack songs for a sad death scene?! Then the acting is just awkward. Usually it ends up with people screaming at each other and saying stupid things. Seriously these people are so dumb somtimes that they fight over water on day one and lose it. They did have some left and only enough to last them 30 days.

I suggest watching "Alive" instead. It's about a group of people who crash in the middle of the Andes and are forced into cannibalism to survive. It's not as bad as it sounds.

You should check this wiki out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Andes_flight_disaster

The documentary of it called "Stranded" is good too.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #12,507 of 24,654
Quote:
Hey, I watched it with my friends, and we were all hoping it would be a decent movie, something like Borat, and boy were we in for a surprise. I'm not sure who was the target here, because it portrayed mostly everyone in a bad light.

Now that I've watched it once, I have no intention of watching it again, ever.

The commentary goes into a lot of the basis behind the film...not everyone gets or appreciates this stuff. The social commentary aspect of his humor is often overlooked due to the crazy antics...it's not really a "movie" at all. He goes to such great lengths to be gross or controversial because it disarms people and puts them in the position of simply reacting. In my opinion, it's brilliant. It's not his antics that are meant to be the focus...it's the reactions that result from the antics and what they say about our beliefs, prejudices, etc. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #12,508 of 24,654

I just watched this film, Battlefield EarthIt's easily one of the worst films I've ever seen. I give it a 1/10.

Everything in this film is bad. The acting, directing, screenplay, effects, cinematography are all at best questionable and at worst just horrible. I watched it just to see if all of the bad press was true, and it is. It works alright as a sci-fi comedy though.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #12,509 of 24,654
Sure is a shame as it's one of the best Sci-Fi novels every written.

Quote:

I just watched this film, Battlefield EarthIt's easily one of the worst films I've ever seen. I give it a 1/10.

Everything in this film is bad. The acting, directing, screenplay, effects, cinematography are all at best questionable and at worst just horrible. I watched it just to see if all of the bad press was true, and it is. It works alright as a sci-fi comedy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back