Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #12,436 of 24,651
More info on the sound, this time from IMAX.com:

"A surprisingly large part of the IMAX experience is the sound. That’s what makes an IMAX movie visceral. You don’t just see an IMAX film, you feel it in your bones.

"One reason is the sheer power of the custom, patented speaker system in an IMAX theatre. Another is the wider frequency response – which means higher highs and lows so low they’re as much vibrations as sounds.

"It’s also important to understand that what makes great sound so elusive is the fact that sound is altered by the listening environment and the medium used to deliver it. Simply stated, sound is affected by the room in which the listener sits as well as the quality of the source of the sound. IMAX has patents on theatre geometry that can control these variables - the shape, angles and dimensions are specific to IMAX. The theatre architecture has been customized and enhanced– with better soundproofing and more effective placement of the speakers. This allows us to create an optimum listening environment and deliver a result so precise that you can hear a pin drop from across the room – and know exactly where it fell.

"Finally, in an IMAX film, the soundtrack itself has been enhanced. Because of our proprietary Digital Re-mastering process, the sound of the original movie was re-mixed in post-production to recapture its full dynamic range, tweaked to make it brighter, crisper – and more exhilarating or scarier, depending on the context. This takes full advantage of the unique, responsive sound system in an IMAX theatre."

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #12,437 of 24,651
Quote:

Mine was only around $5K, still way better than an average theater or any HTIB on the planet and better than a couple of more expensive systems that I've heard. Includes Oppo BDP, 7.1 receiver, speakers, 1080p DLP, an 83" pull-down screen, and a 32" LCD TV that went for $900 a decade ago and goes for 1/3 that now.

So $4K without the TV, but back to $5K including additional video players/consoles as I take pride in being able to play every video format except Betamax; DVD, Blu-ray, Laserdisc, VHS, and HD-DVD.

I've probably got twice that into my headphone system
biggrin.gif

You are lucky, my closest movie house is a 2-hour drive each way (but so are most things like that for me). Luckily it's a brand new Regal multiplex with a state of the art IMAX theater. There used to be a couple of others that were closer but they closed, good riddance I say because they sucked in every way.

I look forward myself to putting together a nice home theater again. I moved to an Island a couple years ago and put all I own as check-in on an international plane flight. I had to sell my home theater rig. The airport didn't know what my VPI turntable was in it's flight case!
biggrin.gif
They had to open it and inspect it.

The great thing about home theater is it's always getting better. I look forward to getting a processor with HDMI and networking. Something only a dream 12 years ago!

I don't see myself spending anywhere near 5K.
eek.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #12,438 of 24,651
"Zero Dark Thirty" [7.6/10]: It was an interesting film. I actually liked the National Geographic film better. Jessica Chastain's performance was notable. I was a bit under-impressed considering all of the hype. I actually struggled to stay awake after about an hour or so. Not nearly as good as films like "Black Hawk Down," or "The Hurt Locker."

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #12,439 of 24,651
I don't see myself spending anywhere near 5K.:eek:

Well I did assemble that system over more than a decade's time, more like 15 years total and the laserdisc player is probably twice that old!

But I have to say that the $ adds up quick when you put together a decent HT system, I really think mine is maximum fidelity for the buck. It would be quite easy to spend more however.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #12,440 of 24,651
Zero Dark Thirty: 9/10

I know a lot of people have been saying they've been a bit bored with it, but I was thoroughly engrossed from start to finish--which must be something of a testament to Bigelow's skills, seeing as how I knew how it was all going to end, lol.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #12,441 of 24,651
Jan 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #12,442 of 24,651
Quote:
More info on the sound, this time from IMAX.com:

"A surprisingly large part of the IMAX experience is the sound. That’s what makes an IMAX movie visceral. You don’t just see an IMAX film, you feel it in your bones.

"One reason is the sheer power of the custom, patented speaker system in an IMAX theatre. Another is the wider frequency response – which means higher highs and lows so low they’re as much vibrations as sounds.

"It’s also important to understand that what makes great sound so elusive is the fact that sound is altered by the listening environment and the medium used to deliver it. Simply stated, sound is affected by the room in which the listener sits as well as the quality of the source of the sound. IMAX has patents on theatre geometry that can control these variables - the shape, angles and dimensions are specific to IMAX. The theatre architecture has been customized and enhanced– with better soundproofing and more effective placement of the speakers. This allows us to create an optimum listening environment and deliver a result so precise that you can hear a pin drop from across the room – and know exactly where it fell.

"Finally, in an IMAX film, the soundtrack itself has been enhanced. Because of our proprietary Digital Re-mastering process, the sound of the original movie was re-mixed in post-production to recapture its full dynamic range, tweaked to make it brighter, crisper – and more exhilarating or scarier, depending on the context. This takes full advantage of the unique, responsive sound system in an IMAX theatre."

Not to mention, the crying babies, the constant blabber, and the crunching sound of plastic bags! Where would you find that kind of an experience?

The next time I go for a movie, its going to be either afternoon or midnight.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #12,443 of 24,651
Not to mention, the crying babies, the constant blabber, and the crunching sound of plastic bags! Where would you find that kind of an experience?
The next time I go for a movie, its going to be either afternoon or midnight.

I do feel for you folks that live outside a reasonable distance for quality cinema screens.

If you are over the age of 19 here in Ontario,you just can't beat the Cineplex Odeon VIP adults only theaters,to escape the youngsters.
While the screens and sound are average,the experience,extra leg room and quality seats are much improved over regular cinemas.
For the average person it's an every once in a while thing.
If you have the money and only want to hit up one spot to go out with a friend,this reserved venue wins every time.

A true celluloid based IMAX venue with a 15perf/70mm IMAX projector is a sight to behold.
Any shot-for-IMAX film, such as the last two Dark Knight films or Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, this is by far the best venue.
Other films that originated either on 35mm stock or digital, the blow-ups to IMAX format can occasionally have mixed results.
Given the impeccable sound system, and the truly astonishing screen size, it’s a venue that quite simply dwarfs other halls.
Reserved seating here.Six rows from the back works for me.

UltraAVX with a Christie 4K projector,the latest Dolby sound and reserved seats usually wins it for me.
Better seats than IMAX with a slightly smaller screen,the enhanced sound keeps me coming back.

If you find yourself in Toronto,try to get seat G14 in Cinema 1 at TIFF Bell Lightbox.
A modest sized screen with a luminous presentation and immaculate sound.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #12,444 of 24,651
Quote:

Lol but then again this genre is not going to be for everyone so that wouldn´t say much necessarily. Only one way to find out.

Watched goon now and feel much better. This was surprisingly good. 8/10. 10/10 in feel good factor.

lol....I know what you mean. There are some stinker films that I have really enjoyed, too, and you're right, there's only one way to find out :)

LOVED Goon....that's a great choice for sure

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #12,445 of 24,651
Quote:
I have never been to an IMAX theater....always wondered how it is.

I'm a big IMAX fan...it's really a much more immersive experience than a regular theater, IMO. I gladly pay the premium to see a film on the massive screen and 50,000 watt sound rig. I saw Star Wars Ep.III on IMAX and it was unreal...

I also highly recommend the special IMAX 3D films....I dont mean the regular 3D movies on an IMAX screen, I mean the films that are actually produced for IMAX. That's easily the best 3D I've ever seen.  I once saw this ocean film on IMAX....there was this one scene where these freaky fish things have a MASSIVE orgy and then they all just die. The 3D was so immersive that I felt like I been violated by the time I was walking out of the theater. I don't remember the name of the film, but the IMAX 3D productions are off the hook good. I have heard some people say that they are making an IMAX film of Felix Baumgartner's space jump from a few months ago....I was fascinated by that whole thing and would geek out big time if that ever hit the IMAX. 

As for sound quality, I fully agree with those who say that the regular theaters can't compete with many home systems....sure, massive SPLs can be very impressive, and I'm not meaning to knock the theater experience....but I tell you what, my Magnepan 5.1 rig with Butler amps and an SVS PB13-Ultra sub that I used to have would TROUNCE it in terms of audio quality. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #12,446 of 24,651
Quote:
If I am dropping money on a film the last thing I need is a crappy theater sound system and people chattering thru the film.  The last five films I went to were on IMAX screens.  Great sound and they keep it cranked to a level you can't hear someone talking behind you unless they screamed.  I feel fortunate as an IMAX is around the corner.  Regal cinema has their home here and their state of the art cinema is here as well.

I feel really fortunate for that very same reason....I'm with you 100%. The Regal IMAX at the Mall of Georgia is about 10 min away, and I go there for most of my theater trips. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #12,447 of 24,651
Quote:
Zero Dark Thirty: 9/10

I know a lot of people have been saying they've been a bit bored with it, but I was thoroughly engrossed from start to finish--which must be something of a testament to Bigelow's skills, seeing as how I knew how it was all going to end, lol.

Well, at least we finally agree on a film lol. 

I was blown away by this. And I loved how the raid of the compound at the end wasnt' sensationalized at all...it felt completely authentic  to me and I loved that about it. That was expert film making right there. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #12,448 of 24,651
Yeah, I wish more films would go this route. I especially appreciated the details--for instance, the way one of the doors didn't blow clean after detonating the charge on it, so that the team had to physically struggle with it to get it moved out of the way. In most films, stuff like this only happens if it's going to force the characters to go through a different entrance or something similar--here it's just a nice detail that helps remind the audience that this is taking place in reality--not in an action film. It's weird, but the closest example of similar film-making care that springs to my mind are the works of Miyazaki--in particular the way pains are taken to carefully animate the idiosyncratic movements of the characters, or the way in which even backgrounds that are used only briefly have enough detail packed into them to remind you that they 'exist' outside of the single scene in which they appear. This is extra work on the film-maker's part that is not strictly necessary, but it makes the world in which the film takes place feel lived-in. The house and its immediate environment from Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro exists as clearly in my memory as does the house I grew up in. 

The raid on Bin Laden's compound at the end of Zero Dark Thirty approaches this same level of cohesion--I think I could draw you a reasonably accurate floor-plan of that house, despite having never studied it before seeing this film. There have been a lot of great set-pieces in film history, but I especially appreciate the ones where the layout and the positioning of the key players within them remain internally consistent--I'd put the raid in Zero Dark Thirty almost on the same level as the village assault during the climax of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. 
Quote:

Well, at least we finally agree on a film lol. 

I was blown away by this. And I loved how the raid of the compound at the end wasnt' sensationalized at all...it felt completely authentic  to me and I loved that about it. That was expert film making right there. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #12,449 of 24,651
I feel really fortunate for that very same reason....I'm with you 100%. The Regal IMAX at the Mall of Georgia is about 10 min away, and I go there for most of my theater trips. 

Well if you are ever out my way, try the gold class cinema in Pasadena, CA. Right outside LA.

Yes those are fully reclining lazy-boy style chairs that are electronically controlled. A compartment is in each arm rest to tuck away a small backpack or handbag or even a jacket.....

And yes that is full bar and menu service during the film. Somehow strangely you never even notice the service personnel delivering items during the film. It prolly has to do with the fact each set of lazy-boys are elevated above the previous isle. Menu is reasonably priced although the menu is fairly exotic as are the drinks. Smaller screen but you are closer up. It is actually just perfect. Sound is great. Downside is it is $30 a ticket (but free popcorn :popcorn: :) ). So if you figure popcorn is about 8 bucks these days it is reasonably priced IMO for what you get.

This is my prefered theater around here. Next after that is the Arclight Hollywood who really pride themselves on the sound and they continue to check it throughout the film inside the house to make sure it is spot on. Still pricey but cheaper -- $18 for adult but membership gets you discounts and free food.

Anyway, if you are ever out in LA. Those are the spots to check out for movies.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #12,450 of 24,651
wow, very nice Doc! I need to see if I have one of these fancier theaters around here....they've got to be here, I'm just not aware of them. I'd gladly pay that premium to have a higher end experience...I get tired of all the distractions you encounter when going to see a movie these days....maybe I'm just old and grumpy since I hit 40, but I tend to go to movies on Sunday nights now and avoid the Fri/Sat night crowds. This might be a great option to eliminate some of the annoyances of that scene, though, and enjoy a nicer environment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back