Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #11,732 of 24,655
Quote:
Focker,try take a look at People Like Us (2012)
Post your review,it is in the same vein as TLW.
There must be one movie where you wanted to run down the halls in a dystonic frenzy,screaming to get away.

Holy crap man, that damn movie...last scene really got me bad!

I guess I'll go ahead and write a brief review, as well...5aces was spot on when he said this falls into the same type of category as Take This Waltz, which I really liked. The cast for "People' was very easy to like...Chris Pine, the beautiful Olivia Munn, the ageless beauty Michelle Pfifer, and one of my real favorites over the last few years, Elizabeth Banks. Add in a brief appearance from my boy Jon Favreau (if you've never seen Swingers, especially if you're a dude, stop reading my nonsense and go watch it!!!) and Phillip Baker Hall and you've gone one hell of a nice ensemble. There was also a young boy in the movie whose name I have no idea but who did an outstanding job. It's a movie about familial relationships and the impact that a broken home can have on all those involved, stuff like that. There are themes of atonement, reconciliation, forgiveness, trust, etc....a lot of the "big ones". The audience is let in on the "secret" from early on, and then we sort of observe how things pan out once others find out what all is going on. The only real gripe I had was that it slowed a bit in the middle, and some of it was all tied up a bit too neatly (it didn't get to the point of selling out...but it flirted with it)...but it certainly engaged me from start to finish and, again, I found myself very much with divided loyalties and identifying with several of the main characters. I do think it's an easy target for a critic, and some of the criticisms I'm sure will be understandable....but it hit home with me for sure. I needed a minute to sort of recover for a few minutes after it was over...I think it had more to do with some personal heart strings that it tugged on than it did the film itself, but I think it will impact a few of you guys, too. Give it a chance. 

People Like Us - 8.6/10

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #11,733 of 24,655
but it was disturbing none-the-less.

I guess that was the point of that scene, its supposed to be disturbing.

Interesting that the actress in the fried chicken humiliation was none other than the beautiful Gina Gershon.
She is a good looking 50 year old version of Jessica Biel,to my eyes.
Check out a younger Gershon in the movie Bound (1996) 7.5/10

Combining fried chicken and your love life conjures up this movie,featuring Charlize Theron:
In Monster (2003) 7/10

Aileen Wuornos,a hitch hiking hooker,murders seven customers.
Allegedly raped with a metal pipe among other atrocities,she claimed self defense in her serial killings and believed she was set loose to clean up the streets.
Video interviews of Wuornos before death by lethal injection are chilling.

Holy crap man, that damn movie...last scene really got me bad! People Like Us - 8.6/10

Far superior treatment of dysfunctional family dynamics,bordering on an "Oedipus complex" or Father complex.
After watching PLU,I was in no mood to watch Seth Rogen stand around in his underwear cooking chicken and laying in bed with his wife.
All that baby talk from Michelle Williams brought me to nausea,Peter Pan as the rickshaw driver didn't move me either.
Do you really still have them scored as equals ? Say it ain't so Focker,Take This Waltz... :wink:

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #11,734 of 24,655
^^^ Actually, Charlize Theron played Aileen Wuornos

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #11,736 of 24,655
Quote:
I knew one of these times I would get caught while editing a post in real time.
Usually do it in LibreOffice but too many quotes and image files to shuffle around,I mixed up Gerhson with Theron,glad you didn't quote before I reposted!

lol, I noticed it was already fixed right after I made that post. But Monster was a really good movie, regardless. I remember seeing the actual interviews long ago...her eyes gave me chills...she never blinks!

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #11,737 of 24,655
Quote:
Far superior treatment of dysfunctional family dynamics,bordering on an "Oedipus complex" or Father complex.
After watching PLU,I was in no mood to watch Seth Rogen stand around in his underwear cooking chicken and laying in bed with his wife.
All that baby talk from Michelle Williams brought me to nausea,Peter Pan as the rickshaw driver didn't move me either.
Do you really still have them scored as equals ? Say it ain't so Focker,Take This Waltz...
wink.gif

lmao@peter pan the rickshaw driver

I would admit that I was more emotionally engaged with PLU, but I really do feel that TTW deserves a few points for not selling out. That's a really big deal for me and it's one of the main reasons why I find indy films such an amazing thing. I really hate it when studios force the film into a "blue skies, everything is going to be fine" type of ending, especially when it's pretty clear from the circumstances that it's probably NOT going to be okay. I understand they want the audience to leave the theater having plenty of sunshine shoved up their collective arse, but there are times when it's so clearly forced that it will literally take away from my experience to the point where I'll feel insulted or manipulated.

Just knowing you a little from our interaction here in this forum, I'm guessing that you can appreciate that point, because you give the impression that you're a thinking man's moviegoer and authenticity of the art scores points with you. I'm not referring to TTW specifically, I'm talking in purely generalized terms here. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #11,738 of 24,655
authenticity of the art scores points with you.

We can agree on how we score movies,like old school mates.
I still can't get past 4 points awarded for only the authenticity in TTW and you won't budge from 8.6 overall.

Like describing colors:
Hey,is that "British Racing Green ?"
No,it's "Emerald Green..."

Or that old joke:
Focker: Hey 5aces,if you woke up with a sore butt in the morning but couldn't remember how it happened,would you tell anyone?

5aces: No...

Focker: Wanna come to a party tonight?

5aces: No...

Focker: Wanna go camping ?

Anyway,here is a school grading chart before the transition to a modern system,with A+ being completely satisfied:

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #11,739 of 24,655
Watched moonrise kingdom the other day, highly recommended to everyone, such a feel good film, so cute. Loved it sooo much

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #11,740 of 24,655
Oh, well if it's the rating that bothers you, I usually pull those out of my arse anyway 
biggrin.gif

Looking at that chart, hell, I wish I had that when I was in high school! An "A" for getting an 86%? I would have been a genius! 

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #11,741 of 24,655
well if it's the rating that bothers you

I'll raise up to 6.0,you come down to 6.6 and we leave our arses out of it 8)

I like the fractional scores out of 10 based on the above chart.

An "A" for getting an 86%? I would have been a genius!

That chart is from the University of Alberta but is pretty much in line with Ontario where I am.
Some of the States grade differently,no doubt.
If you were getting 86% back in the day,you sure qualified as a "Browner".
90% and up was a verified Scab.
Under 65% you were a Loser,because you had to write a final exam that everyone above that didn't have to write...
Keeping it around 72% kept you off the grid for harassment.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #11,742 of 24,655
Quote:
I'll raise up to 6.0,you come down to 6.6 and we leave our arses out of it
tongue.gif

I like the fractional scores out of 10 based on the above chart.

A 6.6!!!!  I can't do that lmao...

How bout an 8.0/10? 

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #11,743 of 24,655
people like us.6/10. it was OK for me.i dont like this kind of melodrama.

The dark knight rises. 9/10.didnt enjoy it as the dark knight,but Tom hardy acting was superb(im becoming a fan of him since i watched lawless).Im not a fan of Ann and i thought her acting was poor.i didnt get engaged in her character.
Quote:
Watched moonrise kingdom the other day, highly recommended to everyone, such a feel good film, so cute. Loved it sooo much

watched 20 minutes then i deleted it.definatly not my type.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #11,744 of 24,655
Quote:
I read the book (Toughing The Void) it was about some guy climbing The Everest It think? And he got stuck and thought his friends left, etc.

May be the one. IMDB will tell for sure. Touching the void.

Speaking about Monster watched the documentary on netflix too. Talk about hard life.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #11,745 of 24,655
A 6.6!!!! I can't do that

A fair compromise,I come up a full two points and you drop two points.
Bourbon,Barbecue and Music is on me afterwards...:cool:

people like us.6/10. it was OK for me.i dont like this kind of melodrama.

That brings this episode of Rate the Last Movie You Watched back down to earth.
How on earth did you endure Take This Waltz then?
Agree with your assessment of Hathaway as Catwoman.
Angelina Jolie turned into Octomom,so she can't pull those superwoman roles off anymore.

Speaking about Monster watched the documentary on netflix too.

Thanks for the heads up,I hadn't noticed it on Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back